things that are American...

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:03 pm
My reference to Austen's work, however, demonstrates that the game of baseball was a commonplace which she undoubtedly believed any reader would understand, which suggests it was a child's game, and apparently one which girls (Oh My God!) played before she mentioned it in 1797.

As for Yankees, the word derives from a Dutch term, Jan Kees (prounouced "yawn keys"), roughly equivalent to John Doe, and applied to the English settlers who came to New Holland after James, Duke of York defeated the Dutch in North America, capturing New Amsterdam which was re-named New York.

As a native of the city of New York, i am always amused and delighted to think that folks from Bahstihn would indulge in wailing and gnashing of teeth at the mere mention of the word Yankee. However, although i am a native of the Bronx, to the everlasting chagrin of my grandfather, i was a Giants fan, not a Yankees fan. (The Giants were then still in New York.) Being a small child, i thought it was super cool to have a baseball team comprised of giants. Of course, when you're three or four, any baseball player will look like a giant to you.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:20 pm
@MontereyJack,
Monterey Jack cheeze.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:12 pm
@JTT,
Gross; that stuff is horrible.
Maybe use it to bait a rat trap.

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 03:33 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I always suspected you'd have some gastronomical deficiencies, OmSig. Monterey Jack is possibly the only really decent cheese manufactured in this country of otherwise bland dairy products.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 03:36 am
@Merry Andrew,
I found it obnoxious to the palate.

David
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 05:02 am
@lou2,
american dog breeds --

Alaskan Malamute
American Eskimo Dog
American Foxhound
American Water Spaniel
American Staffordshire Terrier
Australian Shepherd
Black and Tan Coonhound
Boston Terrier
Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Cocker Spaniel
Plott
Toy Fox Terrier

http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=2157
Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 05:29 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Someon said clam chowder--yes, but ONLY New England-style clam chowder,

Hey! That was me and I did say New England. But wait-- New England clam chowder really is what Manhattan style is-- no cream, but a tomato clam base.

Yesiree, nothing like going for a lobster dinner where you start with some authentic chowder.

0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 05:33 am
The Mall
Wal-Mart
Football
Cricket
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 05:42 am
@Region Philbis,
THE CATAHOULA LEOPARD STOCK DOG!!!
dont you forget it
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:42 am
@farmerman,
(i won't -- no need to shout).
that list is from '04, so i'm sure there are a couple new critters to add...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:44 am
New England clam chowdah ain't got no tomatoes in it, an' cricket ain't 'Merican, no how, no way. I suspect Cliffhanger ain't no 'Merican.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 07:04 am
@Setanta,
Hell yeah, New England clam chowder has tomatoes-- the real kind.
Aha! I added Cricket to see if anyone actually reads these posts. You get a gold star for the day.

As for being a real 'Mericun, under the eyes of that nut-job Minnesota chick who wants Congress to investigate who is un-'Mericun or not, in her view I am un-'Merican.
Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 08:04 am
I don't believe you, Cliffhanger, with that lame claim about cricket. And there is no tomato in New England clam chowder.

Wikipedia writes:

New England clam chowder is a milk or cream based chowder, that is traditionally made with potatoes, onion, bacon or salt pork, flour or hardtack, and clams. Adding tomatoes to clam chowder was shunned, to the point that a 1939 bill making tomatoes in clam chowder illegal was introduced in the Maine legislature.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 09:28 am
@Setanta,
The real real clam chowder is broth based w/out the cream. you trust Wikipedia, where any jamoke can post? Pshaw.

Nonetheless, you are duty bound to question my loyalty as an American, even if you are not an American but are from strange land, like Hawaii. I believe measures ought to be put in place to test the muster of all Americans.

I wear a lapel pin. Do you?
jespah

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 09:48 am
@Cliff Hanger,
New England clam chowder does not have tomatoes. That's for Manhattan chowder.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 09:51 am
@jespah,
But I've had the chowder with the broth and the t'maty's. It was fabulous.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 09:53 am
@Cliff Hanger,
Correctly made, New England Clam Chowder is not tomato-based. New England Clam Chowder is basically a cream-based potato soup with clams.

Manhattan Clam Chowder (abomination that it is), is tomato-based.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 10:27 am
@ehBeth,
Oh, but if it's made properly with the broth and the t'matos it's really good. I think you're talking about the Campbell's soup variety, which is awful.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 10:32 am
@Cliff Hanger,
You'd be very much mistaken if you thought I'd be having a Campbell's clam chowder of any variety.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 10:52 am
@jespah,
Quote:

New England clam chowder does not have tomatoes.
That's for Manhattan chowder.

Agreed.
That has always been my understanding,
confirmed by what I get in response to my orders
for New England C.C. in good restaurants.

David
0 Replies