What income is "middle class"?

maporsche

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:13 am
@OGIONIK,
I thought the same thing when I made 20k a year OG. Now that my household income is 125k I realize how stupid I was back then.

125k is not rich. I can afford many things that I want to live comfortably, but I am FAR from rich.
maporsche

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:13 am
@boomerang,
No, not damn straight.

He has no idea what he's talking about....and apparently, neither do you.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:14 am
Again, no porsche.

Even if I did own one, it'd be a 20 year old model.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:14 am
Again, no porsche.

Even if I did own one, it'd be a 20 year old model (got my eye on a 1987 Porsche 911 that I've been saving for 3 years to get).
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:21 am
@boomerang,
The price paid for Granny Palin's wardrobe is way up the middle class chain!
Here's a great joke pullled on the dummy from Alaska. She thinks she is talking to the president of France.

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=QbEwKcs-7Hc
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:40 am
I love you boomer. lets run away together to a deserted island and make passionate love on the beach.

followed up of course by a great seafood bisque.
boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 04:53 pm
@dadpad,
Wow! What an offer!

Tell me the nearest airport to this island and I'm on my way.
0 Replies

stevecharles

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 11:10 pm
@maporsche,
I am wonder you can buy anything that you want easily, then what do you mean by rich. R you not rich. Do u think that people like Bill gates are the rich?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 01:12 am
@stevecharles,
Quote:

R you not rich.
Do u think that people like Bill gates are the rich?

I love your use of fonetic spelling, like me.

Ease n simplicity will prevail!

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:27 pm
@OGIONIK,
$50,000 is middle class? Wait till you start paying your own bills.

Actually seeing if Boomer's problem occurs for me.
boomerang

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:32 pm
@roger,
Thanks roger! Testing for myself before I try to recreate my longer post.....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:46 pm
There was an interesting article about just this topic in my newspaper today where, oddly enough, they interviewed a neighbor-friend: http://www.oregonlive.com/kiddo/index.ssf/2008/11/the_middle_class_muddle.html

From the article:

Quote:
So why is the middle class so fuzzy in a nation that seems to quantify everything? Well, the answer is as American as apple pie.

* The story begins with a group of a people who left Europe for America and strove to be average. They shunned the titles and rigid class system of Old Europe. "They felt a society where a small number of people hold all the wealth was dangerous and unstable," says Paul Otto, an early-America historian at George Fox University.

While the colonists believed great wealth corrupts, they saw poverty as forcing dependency. So they preferred to become a nation of the "middling sort," where regardless of birth, anyone (which meant white males) could get land and live as self-sufficient farmers.

Following the American Revolution, that morphed into a system of meritocracy. Structured social classes became distasteful and, well, un-American. "If you become elite because you worked hard for it, then fine," Otto says. "But if it's because you're a blue blood, that's just wrong."
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:16 am
@maporsche,
10 grand a month and u arent rich? someone is in denial.

if i made 125 grand a year id rent a house at between 1 and 1.5 k a month in rent.

id buy a car for maybe at the max 10 grand, but im gonna say 5 grand.

and id be a happy effing camper.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:18 am
@OGIONIK,
im saving for a bmw m3, i cant wait until i can get it but i think the irs will have questions about where i got the money.

i dont think telling them i just saved it will work, i mean come on who saves their money? if there is one thing im gonna accomplish in this lifetimes im getting that fuckin car. if i can do better at pokerz it would help.

lol, seeya at the dealership in 8 years LOL
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:25 am
@OGIONIK,
At 125K, one can live comfortably without day to day worries about making the car payment or the house payment. It doesn't make one wealthy to make that much, but it makes it easy to become wealthy since simply saving 10% of that over 20 years with a reasonable rate of return puts you well on the way to a comfortable retirement.

Of course the thing to remember is that after taxes that 125K is more like 80K, but that is still a sum capable of living a middle class lifestyle without any day to day worries.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:27 am
@parados,
100 grand is rich, just not ultra rich. just cuz there are people out there with more money than you doesnt bring down the scale. they just make more.
Linkat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:21 am
@OGIONIK,
Can't rent an apartment where I live for a family of four for 1500 month unless of course you all plan on sleeping together.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:23 am
@OGIONIK,
Depends where you live. 100k for my family of four just pays the mortgage for a 2 bedromom condo mind you, not even a house, two average cars (Hondas) and a vacation once a year. Doesn't sound rich to me. Sounds like living as an average house hold.
maporsche

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:46 am
@Linkat,
EXACTLY Linkat.

My household takehome pay is around $6,900/month (after all deductions, payroll taxes, insurances, etc).

It sure sounds like a lot, but when $2,600 goes to mortgage and property taxes, $800-1000 to smaller bills (cell phones, internet, electric, gas, etc), about another $1000 on food/dining out, $400 to car payment, $300 on gas, $300-500 on household maintenece expenses...we're left with around $1,000-$2000 per month extra. This does allow me to live very comfortably, but believe me, it's not RICH. Not even close.

And we're going to have kids soon, which will eat a large chunk of that excess money.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:47 am
@OGIONIK,
no, I'm not in denial, you just need to relize that you don't know what you're talking about.