Life Expectancy of Different Groups

gollum

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 02:38 pm
Are there any statistics on life expectancy of different groups in the United States (e.g., income groups, blue and white collar, etc.)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,490 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Miller

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 02:50 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

Are there any statistics on life expectancy of different groups in the United States (e.g., income groups, blue and white collar, etc.)?

Stats have recently been published in the NYTimes for Whites, Blacks, Asians and Hispanics living in the USA.
Foofie

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 07:29 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

gollum wrote:

Stats have recently been published in the NYTimes for Whites, Blacks, Asians and Hispanics living in the USA.

Statistics can prove what one wants to prove by setting up the different criteria, I believe. If someone said that higher income groups live longer - Duh! - they can afford better medical care.

If someone said that whites live longer than African-Americans it can be based on cultural attitudes towards what one eats.

I believe many statistics leads many to false correlations.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 09:51 am
In the USA, data indicates that Hispanics on average have the longest life expectancy.
Foofie

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 11:11 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

In the USA, data indicates that Hispanics on average have the longest life expectancy.

I Googled this statistic, and it is correct; however, it explained it with some possible correlations that I do not accept as the only valid explanations. One correlation is the close support of family for those that get sick. Another was that they may have fewer smokers in their demographic. Well, what about the possible correlation that perhaps there are enough poor Hispanics that do not drive, so they do not pull down the longevity statistics (aka, "average") with car accident casualties?

The false correlation that some might conclude from such a statistic is that they have a more robust genome oriented to longevity. I sort of doubt that personally.

What some might want to know is that before U.S. society made artificial demographics of Caucasian, Hispanic, African-American, etc., etc., is there a common denominitor for those long-lived individuals genetically? And, whether that genomic common denominator hails from one part of the globe? That might be the way to discern whether longevity is nature or nurture to a greater or lesser degree. The government explanation only focuses on "nurture." I believe it has something to do with "nature" also.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 10:06 am
If one breaks down the white population into nationalities, the outcome may be very different. For example, polish-americans and swedish americans have long life expectancies.
0 Replies