More Whites Died Than Were Born

snood

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 07:19 pm
Things that make you go "Hmmm..."

More white people died in the United States last year than were born, a surprising slump coming more than a decade before the Census Bureau says that the ranks of white Americans will likely drop with every passing year.

Population estimates for 2012 released Thursday show what’s known as a natural decrease — a straightforward calculation of births minus deaths — of about 12,400 people among the nation’s 198 million non-Hispanic whites.

Although the percentage is small, several demographers said they are not aware of another time in U.S. history — not even during the Depression or wars — when there was such shrinkage among the dominant racial group. No other group showed a similar falloff.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-06-13/local/39934184_1_non-hispanic-whites-demographer-census-figures
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,857 • Replies: 6
No top replies

chai2

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 07:40 pm
@snood,
That's pretty interesting.

I wonder how much that has to do with people choosing to call themselves something other than white, when through outward appearances they may appear to be white to others (who are white)?

I was talking to a co-worker just yesterday, and based on her last name, I asked her if she was Italian (her heritage).

She said no, then said her mother was mexican, and her father was from cuba and was "half cuban and half black"

I know, this open a whole kettle of worms as to what is what. To me, she looked like a lot of the Italian/american kids I grew up with, i.e. white, which is what they called themselves.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 07:56 pm
I did my part. Stayed alive after raising four kids.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 12:09 pm
@snood,
I don't believe everything I read. Could it be that some white folks are able to pass as non-white, and therefore the statistics are not correct? I've heard of entire families splitting up because the darker side of the family decided to relocate and just meld in with the non-white community.

Can one imagine, when in the future a child is born from these machinations today, and the family wonders how such a white child could be born into a non-white family? And, then family members realize that so and so really was very secretive about his/her past. Oh, the shame of having white ancestors!

While the above was written for humorous effect, the future might be strange in that one day everyone will have a DNA test prior to marriage. But, as far as noticing that more whites are dying, or whatever, the reality is that "white" is an artificial construct, as much as "Black" is, so this type of news is just plum silly, in my opinion, and may only be of interest to those that live in a part of the country where Black and white are the basic dichotomies in the demographics, as opposed to northern urban living where many people are a rainbow of DNA (even though a specific community might want their vote, so to speak).

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 02:51 pm
I don't mind at all being in a minority. The comments you get are a lot more colorful when you are alone among other ethnicities. You get to see yourself through new eyes. You learn you are not as special as you might otherwise think.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 03:19 pm
@snood,
Hey Snood. Good to see ya.

Like Edgar, I'm doing my part by staying alive.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 12:20 pm
Laughing Edgar and Frank
0 Replies