Conservative Talk Show Host Makes Surprising Announcement

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 08:19 pm
Here's a surprising announcement from Michael Smerconish (a conservative talk show host) in Philadelphia:

http://a.media.abcnews.com/podcasts/081017_michael_sm.mp3

In addition the Chicago Tribune and Los Angeles Times, both of which have never endorsed a Democrat in their history, have endorsed Obama.

Newspaper endorsements are 51-13 Obama and just in case you think that's part of some liberal media bias, usually they are 50-50.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,313 • Replies: 33
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 08:34 pm
@Lambchop,
Your a little behind. The endorsements are 222-93 for Obama. Editor and Publisher is keeping track for us.
Lambchop

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 08:53 pm
@engineer,
Thanks for the update, engineer!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 09:20 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Your a little behind.

I protest! My behind is quite large, thank you very much.

And, I'm sure, others here will describe what a huge ass I am.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 03:45 am
@Lambchop,
I heard Michael make his endorsement, he was instantly marginalized by the conservatives in town, including his own colleagues on the same station.

The liberals "big tent" attitude has always allowed a broader range of beliefs and has celebrated diversity. Conservatives re most often, narrow minded in their worldview and very demanding.

The funny thing to me is that, with Sarah Palin being supported by the GOP conservative "base" (substitute " minority view"). She has actually turned OFF the majority of moderate GOPers (who, apparently still make up the major share of the party, no matter what douche bag talk show hosts like HAnnity and Limbaugh preach)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 04:49 am
Let 's take a poll:
how many believe that Obama sold his soul to the devil
in exchange for being propelled by charisma into political success ?
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 05:21 am
@OmSigDAVID,
well, seems that the Jesus freaks of the GOP havent been able to affect any good governance. MAybe Satan can straiten this mess out.
cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 05:25 am
@farmerman,
http://www.gunbanobama.com/default.aspx?NavGuid=00bdd116-898f-4f21-8e99-a68a40642560&t=Hunters
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 08:18 am
@cjhsa,
Sorry, I dont read unintroduced URLs, youve wasted your time.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 08:21 am
Try something in your own words there CEEJ.amd try to speak in sentences that dont sound like poopy mouthed epithets.

Palin has eviscerated the GOP party by causing the moderates to distance themselves from the party as a whole. Voting FOR Obama wont be their goal as much as voting AGAINST McCain Palin.

It is obvious that moderates still rule the GOP, you just dont wanna admit it.
blatham

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:01 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
It is obvious that moderates still rule the GOP, you just dont wanna admit it.

I'm not at all sure that part is true, farmerman. Everything I've been able to discern regarding McCain's choice of Palin suggests that he wanted Lieberman but was forced into this pick by the extremist wing (threat of a crippling floor fight if he didn't). We'll see, over the next four years, which faction comes out on top because there's going to be a serious bloodbath for control.

What I think is also the case however, is that America generally is far less extremist than the wing of the conservative movement we're talking about. Frum makes some relevant points...
Quote:
While a sizeable majority of voters say Republicans have lost in 2006 and 2008 because they have been “too conservative,” a sizeable plurality of Republicans say, it is because they have “not been conservative enough.”

Over three-quarters of Republicans say Palin was good choice, while a majority of the electorate says the opposite.

Two-thirds of Republicans say McCain has not been aggressive enough, but a majority of voters think they have been too aggressive.

Looking to the future, a large majority of Republicans say the party needs to “move more to the right and back to conservative principles,” while an even larger majority of all voters say, it should move to the “center to win over moderate and independent voters.”
http://frum.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OGZiODc3MThiOTg3ODZjNjM5ODk4NWJmMTU4ZDNmMmI
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:15 am
@blatham,
One slice of baloney does not a picnic make. The Pa and NY GOPs (IMHO) repreent a majority of the party. I really dont believe that people of decent intelligence can sustain such venom and beliefs in such fraudulent statements. Palin was a quick study whose welcome wore out in about 3 weeks. Polls show her "drag" on the ticket to be a major issue.

Who knows. I find that the A2K "wingnut" contingent to be highly amusing albeit similarly gullible. Its sort of like they were all plugged into the same amplifier. DEMS couldnt even agree on where to meet to beat each other up.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:21 am
@farmerman,
Quote:

MAybe Satan can straiten this mess out.

U think he can get together with the Moslems
and Obama to work something out ?
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Quote:

MAybe Satan can straiten this mess out.
U think he can get together with the Moslems
and Obama to work something out ?

IZZAT out of the McCain handlers playbook? You know, just making stupid **** up and hoping it sticks to the wall?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:45 am
@farmerman,
No, I didn t get that book this year.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:51 am
@farmerman,
The a2k wingnut contingent is a small group which is representative of something much larger...essentially, it is the talk radio/Fox audience (and now represented broadly across the web as well). They ARE plugged into the same amplifier. For the last couple of years, I've been listening to a lot of right wing radio, watching Fox (my wife runs out screaming), and following their activities online. It is a self-validating and self-sustaining echo chamber - which is why they all use the same terminology, voice the same opinions, and hold the same unexamined assumptions. Without this propaganda mechanism, the party would certainly look now much more like it did two or three decades ago.

There's just no question, I think, that the party generally has been dragged right due in great part to the above. Rove and Norquist and Scaife and others could not have done what they've done without this. And even if they personally aren't fundamentalists or anti-choice or whatever, promotion of that 'populist' or nutcase base has served their purposes well. But in the process, they've created a beast that is no longer entirely under their control.

I kind of like Smirconish too. He represents that older type of Republican/conservative who doesn't think education or reflection are prime indicators of lousy, weak-kneed and dangerous citizenship. Clearly, you're right to point to the Palin pick as a fundamental reason so many thoughtful Republicans are supporting Obama. But Palin isn't dangerous only because she is incurious, intellectually narrow and insular but also because she is representative of that wingnut beast that's been created.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:55 am
I consider myself to be right wing Originalist American.
Its been a few years since I 've listened to the radio
except for weather reports.
I watch Fox on TV once in a while; not as much as NBC or ABC.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 10:00 am
@blatham,
Quote:

hold the same unexamined assumptions

I challenge your unexamined assumption
that I "hold the same unexamined assumptions"

WHICH assumptions are these ??

David
blatham

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 10:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Well, for my assertion to apply to you, omsig, you'd have to include yourself in the category of "a2k wingnut". If you can verify and justify for me your inclusion in this category, then I'd be happy to respond.
blatham

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 10:05 am
farmerman
I haven't gotten around to reading this yet but tomdispatch is a valuable and dependable source.

Quote:
Among the remaining unknowns in this election, of course, are the intertwined issues of class and race. In this regard, few places have been more closely examined than parts of Pennsylvania, a battleground state in which polls show John McCain significantly behind, but which he must capture if he hopes to win this election, and a place where working-class, as well as possibly racist, "Hillary voters" were supposed to be especially strong. Ever since the primaries, reporters have been tromping the state in search of them. Today, TomDispatch has an interesting twist on such articles. We've sent a home-town boy back to Pennsylvania to offer a more personal view of the race there -- and the news isn't good for the future of the Republican Party. Tom

Quote:
Meeting Myself in Bucks County
Pennsylvania in the Political (and Personal) Crucible
By Robert S. Eshelman

In 1991, at age 17, I fled Bucks County, an overwhelmingly white, working-class region in southeast Pennsylvania where I grew up. I left because the life of the working class was brutal and I wanted no part of it. I cringed at the racism and xenophobia that seemed to rise out of the anxieties of precarious labor. I desperately hoped there was some alternative to coming home each day looking as battered as did so many grown-ups I would catch staring blankly into TV screens or half-empty glasses of beer....
http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/174995/robert_eshelman_republican_nosedive_in_pennsylvania