8 year old accidently shoots himself with an Uzi

Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 11:54 pm
@oralloy,
a word to the wise, pick your battles carefully lest you get shot in the ass...
oralloy

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 11:55 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
I get it, it's the old fingers in the ears lalalalalalalala trick...

Huh??? Confused
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 11:56 pm
@Rockhead,
With a non killing gun, of course Laughing
Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 11:57 pm
@Intrepid,
absarutery...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 06:59 am
The real problem with the type of people here on A2K is that they have their bitch-boy in the Whitehouse soon and he WILL try to take away your guns and second amendment rights. He fully intends to rewrite the constitution.

Lock and load. Molon labe.
oralloy

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 07:22 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:
The real problem with the type of people here on A2K is that they have their bitch-boy in the Whitehouse soon and he WILL try to take away your guns and second amendment rights. He fully intends to rewrite the constitution.

He doesn't have the power to rewrite it; all he can do is violate it.

It looks like they are going to try to get their gun bans passed under the guise of one of the UN's "anti-gun treaty" efforts.

We're all going to need to be ready for a huge ratification fight in the Senate -- get everyone ready to write their Senators en masse, etc....

I suppose it's expired by now, but I posted an article in your old "UN gun ban" threads just before the election. The UN types were all giddy with anticipation and issued a press release to the media about how an Obama win meant new possibilities for a global anti-gun treaty.

EDIT: Guess it's still there. The article must be *just* about to expire though. They seldom keep wire articles up for more than a month.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5ib61fXeOYpOjGPiCae89ehNNsZUA
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 07:43 am
We have voted away our independence.
oralloy

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 07:57 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:
We have voted away our independence.

Obama can try to push a UN gun ban treaty through the Senate, but I'm confident that we can block ratification.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 07:57 am
@cjhsa,
I find it somewhat strange that the right wingers hee are so concern about Obama taking their guns and others right away and yet they cheerfully watch as Bush push for law after law taking awya all kinds of rights in the last eight years.

Love that the government have a need to know what the hell I am reading for example and my bookstore or library can not even tell me that they are asking for that information!

Cell lphones had been turn int0 beacons for our own good in realationship to 911 calls and yet the phone compaines are now keeping ping records for months and years it would seem.

I guess the lost of freedom only matter if the left wing is doing it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 08:00 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

One can only hope
cjhsa

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 08:48 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

cjhsa wrote:

One can only hope

Thanks for clarifying that ya dumb **** canuck.
BillRM

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 11:24 am
@oralloy,
You know in almost handgun free England there is a movement to ban large kitchen knives as it been found that this is the weapon of choice in families disagreement.

Yes I know how silly this sound but google the subject.

One can only wonder what object around the home will next be turn into a killing weapon in England if they do ban large household knives.
cjhsa

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 11:32 am
@BillRM,
Maybe large household wives?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 11:38 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Intentional deaths should be excluded because they are caused by the presence of the killer, not by the presence of the gun.

Take away the guns, and murderers still commit murder.

..But are able to do so less effectively.

You can enter a bank in a robbery and start spraying around bullets, killing scores at a time. You can enter a school and start doing the same, if you are sickly inclined. The alternative, in either case, of approaching each individual and stabbing them to death one by one, all the while holding the other people present at bay, is just not able to go half as far.

I suppose you could kill someone with a nail file, if you really wanted to and are especially smart and skilled; but a big kitchen knife is more dangerous. Similarly, a handgun is more dangerous than even the biggest of kitchen knives, and an Uzi is more dangerous than a handgun. At what point does something become dangerous enough for regulation to step in? We have regulation on lead in paint, and that's far less able to cause death and mayhem.

To return to topic, at what becomes something dangerous enough to keep your eight-year old away from it, no matter how expert a guidance some random company is promising? You wouldn't allow your kid to start throwing steak knives, would you, whether or not you are at hand to hand him the knives and explain how or not? What kind of parent in heaven's name thinks, oh, an Uzi, cool, lets have my kid try it out?
maporsche

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 01:57 pm
@nimh,
I learned to throw knives when I was 10 or 11. My parents had no problem with it. They didn't even supervise me. I'm still pretty good, but I prefer darts (less damage).
nimh

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 05:18 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I prefer darts (less damage).

Sensible choice.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 06:05 pm
When I was 8, I went to Arizona.
My next door neighbor was a captain
in the National Guard. He took the kids
in the neighborhood, including his son,
to the local military fort, where we
had the opportunity to work out with
rifles, pistols, and submachineguns.
(This was before the Uzi was invented.)
We LOVED them.

Submachineguns are tons of fun,
and no one was ever even slightly injured.

David
oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 02:15 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Intentional deaths should be excluded because they are caused by the presence of the killer, not by the presence of the gun.

Take away the guns, and murderers still commit murder.

..But are able to do so less effectively.

You can enter a bank in a robbery and start spraying around bullets, killing scores at a time. You can enter a school and start doing the same, if you are sickly inclined. The alternative, in either case, of approaching each individual and stabbing them to death one by one, all the while holding the other people present at bay, is just not able to go half as far.

Most homicides are single killings though, and while a gun may make it easier, the killer is still more than capable of doing that lone killing without their gun.

And when it comes to people determined to kill large numbers of people, they could easily achieve a large massacre with bombs. (In fact, if we took guns away and drove such people to bombmaking instead, we might even make the casualty rate worse.)

nimh wrote:
I suppose you could kill someone with a nail file, if you really wanted to and are especially smart and skilled; but a big kitchen knife is more dangerous. Similarly, a handgun is more dangerous than even the biggest of kitchen knives, and an Uzi is more dangerous than a handgun. At what point does something become dangerous enough for regulation to step in? We have regulation on lead in paint, and that's far less able to cause death and mayhem.

To return to topic, at what becomes something dangerous enough to keep your eight-year old away from it, no matter how expert a guidance some random company is promising? You wouldn't allow your kid to start throwing steak knives, would you, whether or not you are at hand to hand him the knives and explain how or not? What kind of parent in heaven's name thinks, oh, an Uzi, cool, lets have my kid try it out?

It depends on the kid in question, their reason for wanting to do the activity, their maturity and ability to handle the responsibility, and their physical ability to handle the activity safely.

From the accounts I've read, the kid was an experienced shooter, and wanted to shoot a full-auto for fun, at an event intended for people to legally shoot full-autos for fun.

I can see a parent agreeing in such a circumstance.
OGIONIK

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 03:33 am
@oralloy,
might i interject, who the **** lets a kid that young shoot or even hold an uzi?

dear god.

epic fail. somebody went to jail right?
oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 04:02 am
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:
might i interject, who the **** lets a kid that young shoot or even hold an uzi?

dear god.

The Mini-Uzi and Micro-Uzi are bad choices. With their insanely-high rates of fire, they are not exactly easy to control.

The full-size Uzi has a much lower rate of fire, and the boy probably would have been able to control the gun.

OGIONIK wrote:
epic fail. somebody went to jail right?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/boy_shoots_himself/print

(I am not sure though whether the charges are warranted by the law or the prosecutor is grandstanding.)
0 Replies