No, it's not daylight standard time yet

JPB

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 09:00 am
Even though my VCR/DVD player thinks it is. And my old computer thinks it is. And I wish it was. It isn't.

This is the Bonus Week that our Congress gave us so that we can shop more on our way home from work. Studies show that folks run more errands on the way home and spend more money when it's light out than when it's dark. So -- here we are... pulling ourselves out of bed in what seems the middle of the night so that we'll spend more money on our way home from work.

Today begins a repeat of my one-week boycott of spending ANY money between the hours of 5:00 and 6:00. I repeat the same boycott for two weeks in March when we get our other two bonus weeks.

Manipulation of my purse strings be damned! I'm not shopping.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,459 • Replies: 14
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 09:06 am
@JPB,
I'm happy about it just because of Halloween.

Gets in just under the wire.

I prefer trick-or-treating with some light at the beginning... little bit warmer too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 09:31 am
@JPB,
I'm beyond furious about it.
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 09:39 am
@ehBeth,
whats beyond furious? flumoxed?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 09:42 am
@farmerman,
intensely angered perhaps

I didn't like time change before. There was no good reason to change it. None.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 10:04 am
I spent several winters in Ireland and I never got useds to the sun coming up at almost 9AM.
hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 10:41 am
@farmerman,
the swedes seem to have a solution for short winter days .
in the summer , many swedes work short hours so that they can get away from work early (to the cottage , the boat ... ) to get us much out of the long days as possible . in the winter - when the days are short and there is not much daylight - they put in extra hours . it seems to suit many of them quite well . they adjust their working hours and habits to the time of year - we could do worse than to learn from them !

it's nice to cruise through the baltic sea in the summer and have the sun disappear for only a few hours - winters are for the pits anyhow - let's make them as short as possible !
hbg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:41 pm
@JPB,
I'm sick of early morning darkness...
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 01:53 pm
@Miller,
Me too!

I hope, Obama will reverse this nonsense again, once he's president!
hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 02:44 pm
@CalamityJane,
cj wrote :

Quote:
I hope, Obama will reverse this nonsense again, once he's president!

you sure are setting your expectations fairly high ! Laughing

"dear mr . president :
please ... ...
yours sincerely ,
cj "

ps . i voted for you !!!
Miller

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 04:53 am
@hamburger,
7 am and it's still dark outside!
JPB

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 07:35 am
@Miller,
and by the time we turn the clocks back this weekend we will have lost 8 more minutes of daylight in the morning where I am, reducing the lift that morning light brings to me all the more.

I really hate this....
sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:07 am
@JPB,
I hate reduced light, period. I'm grumpy about it either way.

I love the idea of more light in the morning -- but find darkness before 6 PM depressing, too. (Sunset at 6:30 PM now, 5:30 PM once daylight savings time kicks in, bleh.)

Ah well. Soon enough it will be holiday season (twinkly lights cheer me up) and then we will be past the shortest day of the year...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:51 am
Because of my retinitis pigmentosa, every minute of light at twilight is important for my competence in the space outside my front or back door. I'm not thrilled with dark in the early morning, but I no longer have to be at work at 8 a.m. In the bowels of winter dark, I can't be out driving much past about 4 in the afternoon, or I might get caught in traffic or some weather situation which darkens already darkening skies - thus my day is seriously truncated at the knees. This is nothing new, I've always had this condition to some extent, but it is still a powerful factor in my life. October is probably my favorite month for the weather, wherever I have lived or visited, but the end of October brings winter darkness dread. On the other hand, I get the benefits of a kind of general exhilaration when the pattern reverses and light becomes a more generous daily visitor - light joy.
From my perspective, daylight savings time is a gift.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 01:05 pm
Heh, you all should move to AZ. We don't like change, therefore we don't change our clocks when every one else does. Very Happy
0 Replies