When do they adjust the "atomic clock" signals?

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:47 am
We have one of those "atomic clocks" that recieves a signal from NBS in Colorado. It is now Monday Nov 2 and the clock hasnt reset itself to EST. WTF? do I gotta do that **** myself?. THey sold this POS as "never needs adjusting" "Its always 0.0001 seconds from true time" (or about that).

Never lets you down. Well, Its been 2 days since EDT has ended and the goddam thing is still an hour off. Cmon, was there a budget cut on the master clock? Did they hock the cesium xl?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 4,691 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Francis

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:58 am
@farmerman,
Maybe you need to push the button to start synchronizing.

Take a look here atomic clock
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:01 am
nope, I synchronized the clock on purchase and theres a "null" for whenever I change a battery (No new synchro needed).

OY, am I verhootzed.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:01 am
@farmerman,
My atomic clock adjusted for mountain time right on Sunday morning as it should. So did my alarm clock.

Last year, they changed a week early because of the change in switch date by the government. Didn't happen this year.

BBB
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 11:47 am
@farmerman,
Maybe they still consider time to be relevant to navagation, and stick with the Greenwich relationship. Unless there's such a thing as Greenwich Daylight Savings. . . .
TilleyWink

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 12:11 pm
@roger,
Rogar is right the mother country must stay above the fray.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 12:32 pm
@farmerman,
Atomic clocks are so 20th century. Get a GPS receiver; its clock will have similar precision.
Thomas

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 01:01 pm
On a more serious note, farmerman: what happens when you reboot the clock -- take out the batteries, put them back in, and let it reset?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 01:01 pm
@Thomas,
Yeah! I sure ain't gonna have any adams on my wrist!
TilleyWink

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 01:12 pm
@roger,
What about the stars, the sun and the moon. Can't we tell time the old way. And for that matter does time really have matter?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 01:28 pm
Does anybody really know what time it is?

Does anybody care?
farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 02:58 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Atomic clocks are so 20th century. Get a GPS receiver; its clock will have similar precision

THats ok if you wanna hve a GPS hanging on the wall? They dont have a particularly large face unless you get a marine unit with a plotter which can cost ohhhh, about 750 and up.
Atomic clocks are now made which look just like old Seth Thomas regulator clocks.

Also- when you change the battery, all one does is to punch the 'Time zone" button and it sets itself. You shouldnt screw with it any further.
farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 03:00 pm
@farmerman,
HA! answered my own question. Apparently the clock reset itself around noon today (I think). We cool.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 03:23 pm
@farmerman,
I hadn't realized you don't have your own atomic clock. Just some regular clock that talks with one on the radio.
roger

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 03:43 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Does anybody really know what time it is?

You mean, now?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 04:16 pm
@Thomas,
All of my atoms are otherwise unavailable . We dont utilize them for something as prosaic as a "clock".
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:20 pm
@farmerman,
Mine did. I wanted to watch it but I fell asleep.
anniep

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:36 am
@akaMechsmith,
I'm still waiting for my clock to reset itself. It 's never taken this long before.
0 Replies