When Obama Becomes President Can He... Will He...

mysteryman

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 06:27 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
“I would call my attorney general in and review every single executive order issued by George Bush and overturn those laws or executive decisions that I feel violate the constitution,” said Obama

So, if he "feels" they violate the Constitution, and his AG says they dont, will he still want to overturn them?
hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 10:52 am
@squinney,
does ANYONE really want to become president of the united states ???

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27340429/

Quote:
White House warns GDP number is not good
Third quarter data out next week, gloom predicted through rest of year
The Associated Press
updated 1:25 p.m. ET, Thurs., Oct. 23, 2008
WASHINGTON - The White House said Thursday the economy will remain gloomy through at least the end of the year, inching closer toward a recognition the United States is in a recession.

"We expect our GDP (gross domestic product) number next week not to be a good one and the next quarter to be tough as well," White House press secretary Dana Perino said.

Many analysts predict the economy could contract over the final three months of this year and in the first 90 days of 2009. That would meet the classic definition of a recession " two consecutive quarters of economic contraction. Some financial analysts say the sagging economy already is in recession.

The White House has been loath to use the word "recession" " both because the technical definition has not been met and because it carries such negative fallout.

GOOD LUCK to the next prez !
hbg
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 11:25 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
“I would call my attorney general in and review every single executive order issued by George Bush and overturn those laws or executive decisions that I feel violate the constitution,” said Obama

So, if he "feels" they violate the Constitution, and his AG says they dont, will he still want to overturn them?

Well, him being a constitutional scholar and professor, what he "feels" and thinks about the constitution is at least equally valid to his AG, wouldn't you say?
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 11:29 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:

They'll probably play a game of rock, paper, scissors to see who wins.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 11:32 am
@snood,
Morning, Snood. Haven't seen you around much. How are things going and did you have any hurricane Ike damage in your area?
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 06:19 am
@squinney,
Obama is going to bring us all together. Obama is going to spread the wealth around. Obama is going to end the Police Action in Iraq. Obama is going to find a cure for all of lives ill's.

Why would he waste time on Bush? He has way too much to do.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 06:48 am
@Butrflynet,
Excellent information, Butterfly. Thank you for posting that. I had hoped he had addressed it but had not heard.

I remember Bush coming in and undoing a bunch of stuff Clinton had done, but thought it was limited to the flurry right before leaving office. (Anyone else remember that arsenic levels in our drinking water were not a concern for Bush?)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 06:51 am
@Foxfyre,
Fox - Of course you don't feel that your personal privacy has been violated. If you read the articles I linked to about the spy satellite and about Bush altering the privacy report you'd realize you have no idea if your privacy has been violated or not. Just last week there were whistle blowers saying they had listened in on pillow talk.

You wouldn't know if your calls had been listened to and recorded or not since Bush is blocking the full report.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 08:25 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

I think history will be much kinder to the current administration than are those who assume that it is doing terribly wrong things in violation of the privacy and rights of the citizens. If I were President in the wake of 9/11, I would see that my #1 responsibility was that there not be another. I would see it as my first priority that people not be blown up on airplanes or trains or in crowded auditoriums or market places or while at work in large office buildings. And I would use every resource at my disposal to keep the people safe so that they could be at minimal risk as they move around the country conducting their lives normally. There are still a lot of bad people out there who will take that freedom away from us at their earliest opportunity.

If I were President after 9/11, I would see that my first responsibility is to uphold the Constitution of the United States against those who would use such a heinous event to push their own agendas. There are a lot of bad people out there who will take our freedom away from us at their earliest opportunity. Unfortunately, some of them are domestic. They hate that our freedoms put checks on their powers, that the courts prevent them from doing what they want when they want to and that our laws prevent their unfettered access to the plethora of information available on every American. They feel that their good intentions trump my rights. As President, I would strive with every tool at my disposal to provide as much safety as possible without compromising all the benefits we derive from a free society. I would not promise Americans absolute security in return for surrendering their freedoms because those freedoms are worth the risk. Those freedoms were obtained at a high cost, and any President who gives them over lightly will not be remembered well in history.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 08:30 am
@engineer,
Engineer, you are correct. The Prez takes one Oath and one oath only, and that's to protect the Constitution of the United States. Disasters and attacks do not abrogate that responsibility in any way. Terrorist attacks are not a serious threat to the stability of our nation; therefore, to claim that we should forget about protecting the Constitution, in the name of protecting the 'homeland' (a creepy phrase if I ever heard one) is ridiculous and unsupportable.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 08:44 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

I think history will be much kinder to the current administration than are those who assume that it is doing terribly wrong things in violation of the privacy and rights of the citizens. If I were President in the wake of 9/11, I would see that my #1 responsibility was that there not be another. I would see it as my first priority that people not be blown up on airplanes or trains or in crowded auditoriums or market places or while at work in large office buildings. And I would use every resource at my disposal to keep the people safe so that they could be at minimal risk as they move around the country conducting their lives normally. There are still a lot of bad people out there who will take that freedom away from us at their earliest opportunity.

If I were President after 9/11, I would see that my first responsibility is to uphold the Constitution of the United States against those who would use such a heinous event to push their own agendas. There are a lot of bad people out there who will take our freedom away from us at their earliest opportunity. Unfortunately, some of them are domestic. They hate that our freedoms put checks on their powers, that the courts prevent them from doing what they want when they want to and that our laws prevent their unfettered access to the plethora of information available on every American. They feel that their good intentions trump my rights. As President, I would strive with every tool at my disposal to provide as much safety as possible without compromising all the benefits we derive from a free society. I would not promise Americans absolute security in return for surrendering their freedoms because those freedoms are worth the risk. Those freedoms were obtained at a high cost, and any President who gives them over lightly will not be remembered well in history.

I would not take away Constitutionally protected freedoms, except in extreme emergency, to provide any form of security, but I do not believe the President has done that. I have not lost a single right that I previously possesed as a result of anything that President Bush has done, said, ordered, or accomplished in the areas of national security. I don't know anybody else who has lost any rights either. I do chaff sometimes to be told whether I may or may not smoke on my own property, what kind of automobile I will be allowed choice to have, what kinds of light bulbs will be available to me etc. etc. etc., but so far as my unalienable rights I have seen that the President has done nothing but protect those on my behalf.

The Presidential oath states only that the President will uphold and defend the Cosntitution of the United States. But the Constitution also makes the President Command in Chief of the Armed Forces who take the following oaths depending on whether they are enlisted men or officers:

Quote:
The wordings of the current oath of enlistment and oath for commissioned officers are as follows:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God." (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)

FDR used extraordinary means to protect the people in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbor and President Bush has used extraordinary means (actually less radical) to protect the people in the wake of 9/11.

I do not approve of anybody, especially elected officials, blatantly violating the law. Often, however, ideology comes up with different criteria for interpreting the law. Again, I think history will be kind to George W. Bush for his role in protecting the American people in dangerous times, and I think he will have done it without taking away the freedoms guaranteed to us by the Constitution.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 08:59 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

engineer wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

that big black man robbed me and beat me because i had a Mccain bumper sticker and foxfyre bought it lock stock and barrel.

I would not take away Constitutionally protected freedoms, except in extreme emergency, to provide any form of security, but I do not believe the President has done that. I have not lost a single right that I previously possesed as a result of anything that President Bush has done, said, ordered, or accomplished in the areas of national security. I don't know anybody else who has lost any rights either. I do chaff sometimes to be told whether I may or may not smoke on my own property, what kind of automobile I will be allowed choice to have, what kinds of light bulbs will be available to me etc. etc. etc., but so far as my unalienable rights I have seen that the President has done nothing but protect those on my behalf.

The Presidential oath states only that the President will uphold and defend the Cosntitution of the United States. But the Constitution also makes the President Command in Chief of the Armed Forces who take the following oaths depending on whether they are enlisted men or officers:

Quote:
The wordings of the current oath of enlistment and oath for commissioned officers are as follows:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God." (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)

FDR used extraordinary means to protect the people in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbor and President Bush has used extraordinary means (actually less radical) to protect the people in the wake of 9/11.

I do not approve of anybody, especially elected officials, blatantly violating the law. Often, however, ideology comes up with different criteria for interpreting the law. Again, I think history will be kind to George W. Bush for his role in protecting the American people in dangerous times, and I think he will have done it without taking away the freedoms guaranteed to us by the Constitution.

0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:24 am
Obama Positioned to Quickly Reverse Bush Actions
Stem Cell, Climate Rules Among Targets of President-Elect's Team

Quote:
By Ceci Connolly and R. Jeffrey Smith
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, November 9, 2008; Page A16

Transition advisers to President-elect Barack Obama have compiled a list of about 200 Bush administration actions and executive orders that could be swiftly undone to reverse White House policies on climate change, stem cell research, reproductive rights and other issues, according to congressional Democrats, campaign aides and experts working with the transition team. ..................

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/08/AR2008110801856.html
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:46 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

squinney wrote:

When Obama Becomes President

Premature speculation...

Is that so?
0 Replies