20 billion barrel oil discovery puts Cuba in the big league

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 06:15 pm
@JTT,
Quote:

Impact of the Embargo on Cuban Health
The U.S. Embargo continues to exact a devastating human toll on innocent families and children.

New Drugs Inaccessible
Cuban patients are deprived of many patented U.S. drugs as a result of deliberately grueling licensing procedures, which, according to an American Association for World Health (AAWH) report, "actively discourage any medical commerce." Since the U.S. boasts the world's leading pharmaceutical research and production capability, these procedures effectively ban Cuba from nearly half of the new world-class drugs on the market.

Medical Equipment Blocked
The embargo virtually prohibits Cuban purchases of U.S. medical equipment, parts and accessories. The AAWH found that U.S. firms, citing the embargo, commonly refuse to even offer price information to Cuban importers. Since the U.S. is a leading manufacturer of advanced medical equipment, Cuba is systematically denied access to life-saving medical technology.

Delivery Delays
Even when vital medicines and medical supplies reach Cuba, U.S. policy has often created deadly delays. The Cuban Democracy Act discourages both American and foreign companies from allowing their vessels to dock in Cuba. For example, delivery of 1,500 metric tons of tallow for hospital soap was delayed by several months because the Argentine supplier, fearing U.S. retaliations, refused to send its ship to a Cuban port. And during an epidemic of hemorrhagic dengue, Cuba was unable to quickly acquire U.S. fumigation equipment to control the disease-bearing mosquitoes. The long delay caused a significant increase in the number of cases and resulting deaths.

Water Quality
The embargo not only prevents water treatment, it creates the conditions for disease. The more stringent embargo restrictions of the 1990s deny Cuba competitively priced water treatment chemicals and prevent the ready purchase of spare parts and equipment upon which Cuba's clean water supply depends. The embargo contributes to serious cutbacks in supplies of safe drinking water and is a factor in the rising incidence in morbidity and mortality rates from water-borne disease.

Nutritional Deficit
U.S. actions are creating a legacy of malnutrition among the Cuban population " especially Cuba's children. Despite legal "cash-only" purchases of food, embargo-imposed expenses continue to compound food shortages and contribute to the deterioration of the Cuban population's nutritional intake. By 1993, nutritional deficiencies began to emerge in the general population. Cuba also began to register nutritional deficiencies in women beginning their pregnancies, as well as an increase in the incidence of low birth-weight babies.

Caribbean Ripple Effect
The embargo damages the quality of medical care throughout the Caribbean. Because Cuba boasts the best medical teaching facilities in the Caribbean, other countries in the area have long been dependent upon it for the training of their medical personnel. Embargo-related limits on advanced training opportunities and new equipment available to Cuban doctors and hospitals lowers the quality of health services throughout the region.

http://www.disarm.org/inform/cuba/index.html

gungasnake

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 06:21 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Compare the treatment accorded to present day Cubans, the unbelievable health care system to the treatment by a hero of yours, a common war criminal named ronald reagan who supported the brutalization, rape and torture and murder of thousands of Nicaraguans. Remember, reagan believed that the Contras were the equivalent of your Founding Fathers.

One thing I've had several Russians tell me is that as early as the 1950s and 6os they were hearing the following from friends and associates in the so-called satellite countries, roughly paraphrased:

Quote:

..Russia is so big and so naturally rich a country that it might take communism another 15 - 25 years to destroy Russia, but it's destroying us and our lives NOW.

There is no possible way that this same perverted system which ruined Russia and Eastern Europe was doing any good for people living in Cuba or any other central or South American country.

Ronald Reagan RESCUED Nicaragua from that bullshit. Moreover, I've heard directly from Spec-forces people that Grenadans were pointing Cubans out to the invading Americans when that one came down. Cubans were always foot soldiers in the CCCP's efforts to take the world via guerilla wars and NOBODY loves them or views them as liberators or any such.

Moreover if there is any one American president who anybody could call a war criminal, it's Slick KKKlintler and not Reagan and this is vouched for by none other than SC Justice Robert Jackson who was instrumental in prosecuting Nazi war criminals at Nuremberg:

http://www.counterpunch.org/rockler.html

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 06:28 pm
In response to Pres. Kennedy’s request for cooperation in isolating Cuba in 1961, the Mexican ambassador responded

“If we publicly declare that Cuba is a threat to our security, forty million Mexicans will die laughing.”
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 06:35 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:

Moreover if there is any one American president who anybody could call a war criminal, it's Slick KKKlintler and not Reagan and this is vouched for by none other than SC Justice Robert Jackson who was instrumental in prosecuting Nazi war criminals at Nuremberg:

You'll get no argument from me on this one.

Quote:

Jackson declared:
He also declared that "if certain acts in violation of treaties are crimes, they are crimes whether the United States does them or whether Germany does them, and we are not prepared to lay down a rule of criminal conduct against others which we would not be willing to have invoked against us."

The trouble is that these wise words has never been followed even though we all know that the USA has committed grievous war crimes against many of the countries of the world.

Quote:

If the Nuremberg Laws were Applied...
Noam Chomsky
Delivered around 1990

If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged. By violation of the Nuremberg laws I mean the same kind of crimes for which people were hanged in Nuremberg. And Nuremberg means Nuremberg and Tokyo. So first of all you've got to think back as to what people were hanged for at Nuremberg and Tokyo. And once you think back, the question doesn't even require a moment's waste of time. For example, one general at the Tokyo trials, which were the worst, General Yamashita, was hanged on the grounds that troops in the Philippines, which were technically under his command (though it was so late in the war that he had no contact with them -- it was the very end of the war and there were some troops running around the Philippines who he had no contact with), had carried out atrocities, so he was hanged. Well, try that one out and you've already wiped out everybody.

http://www.chomsky.info/talks/1990----.htm

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 06:39 pm
A good overview of the genocidal policies that have been the US embargo of Cuba. It also points up the unbelievable hypocrisy that is this silly policy.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:jCz6Kb59tJIJ:www.cs.indiana.edu/~gasser/PFC/Cuba/cuba-forum0204.ppt+US+doctor+says+American+Embargo+of+Cuba+has+caused+deaths+of+innocents&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 06:39 pm
@JTT,
Quote:

Impact of the Embargo on Cuban Health
The U.S. Embargo continues to exact a devastating human toll on innocent families and children.

You'd think this would provide an incentive for them to give up the commie government and the efforts to subject others to commie governments, wouldn't you?

Quote:

New Drugs Inaccessible
Cuban patients are deprived of many patented U.S. drugs as a result of deliberately grueling licensing procedures, which, according to an American Association for World Health (AAWH) report, "actively discourage any medical commerce." Since the U.S. boasts the world's leading pharmaceutical research and production capability, these procedures effectively ban Cuba from nearly half of the new world-class drugs on the market.

If communism had ever worked this would be a non issue, wouldn't it? The "world class" drugs would all be being made in commie countries and Cuba would have free and easy access to them, wouldn't they?

Quote:

Medical Equipment Blocked
The embargo virtually prohibits Cuban purchases of U.S. medical equipment, parts and accessories. The AAWH found that U.S. firms, citing the embargo, commonly refuse to even offer price information to Cuban importers. Since the U.S. is a leading manufacturer of advanced medical equipment, Cuba is systematically denied access to life-saving medical technology.

Again,if the system Cuba tries to inflict on others had ever worked, this would not be a problem, would it? The best medical equipment in the world would be being made in communist countries like the CCCP which would be half a century ahead of us, and Cuba would have easy access to it.

Quote:

....Water Quality
The embargo not only prevents water treatment, it creates the conditions for disease. The more stringent embargo restrictions of the 1990s deny Cuba competitively priced water treatment chemicals and prevent the ready purchase of spare parts and equipment upon which Cuba's clean water supply depends....

Cuba is surrounded on all sides bywater and if the system they seek to impose on others had ever worked, they'd have easy access to better water treatment technology than we do, wouldn't they?

Quote:

Nutritional Deficit
U.S. actions are creating a legacy of malnutrition among the Cuban population " especially Cuba's children....

Have you considered blaming weather problems in Cuba on America? I mean, all they'd ever have to do is bag the commie system and publically forswear their efforts to impose it on their neighbors and all of these problems they have dealing with America and Americans would evaporate.

Again, if the system they seek to impose on others had ever worked they wouldn't NEED anything from America or Americans.

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 06:45 pm
@gungasnake,
You're every bit the match for David when it comes to honesty. I think that's what I like best about conservatives/Republicans, their adherence to principle.
gungasnake

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 06:58 pm
@JTT,
You don't seem to have any sort of a reply to the point I was making above...

Let's try something simpler: let's hear your explanation as to how the communist system which brought Russia and Eastern Europe to the edge of starvation was/is going to benefit Cuba or Nicaragua. What's so different or special about those two countries?
JTT

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 07:03 pm
@gungasnake,
Can you say China, Vietnam?

Have you the slightest concept of what is happening in the USA?

gungasnake

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 07:14 pm
@JTT,
Answer the question: what is so special and different about Cuba and Nicaragua that their lives are somehow beautified by the selfsame commie system which ruined Russia and Eastern Europe?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 02:11 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
It will be interesting to see what the Pro-Freedom Cubans
in Miami will think of this.

I 'll be guided in my views, in large measure,
by THEIR philosophy in this matter.

David

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 02:38 am
@JTT,
Quote:

You questioned me impugning your honesty, David.

I had forgotten that; its been a while.
I think u ignored THAT question, as u here & now ignored my question:
" Woud u have said the same
if the nazis had found it ?

Maybe u think commies are nicer, cuter n sweeter than nazis
; I don 't."

Woud u have cheered with equal fervor if the nazis
had struck oil ? U did not answer that.
I must concede the theoretical possibility
that u answered my question about impugning my honesty,
and I did not see it, or that I forgot it.
Do u claim to have answered me about that ?
If so, what did u say ?

In any case,
u DID ignore my question about speaking up for the nazis
as u have for the commies. I 'll take that as a deficit in your honesty.

David
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 08:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
omsigdavid, you've just about reached the point of being added to my "ignored" list as you move toward bigot, racist, fanatic posting. I used to think there were small bits of wisdom in some of your posts, but they've disappeared

BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 08:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Religious competition and religious bigotry have caused more deaths that Asian continent communists could dream of doing in the planet's history.

BBB
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 11:09 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:

omsigdavid, you've just about reached the point of being added to my "ignored" list
as you move toward bigot, racist, fanatic posting.

1 ) I am mildly perplexed at what, in particular, has evoked this outburst.
U can identify each of your objections with greater specificity,
if u wish and if u do, I will consider them.
It is hard for me to admit or deny your assertion,
since I don 't know exactly what u have in mind.

2 ) As to being ignored: I have never begrudged that to anyone.
In addition to being an Individualist, I am also a hedonist:
U shoud do what makes u the happiest.
Use your best discretion: 6 or half-a-dozen.
We 've had little discussion between ourselves on this forum.

If u wrote that in an effort to induce me to conform my thoughts
to your philosophy, I 'll leave u to judge the chances of that.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 11:13 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:

Religious competition and religious bigotry have caused more deaths
that Asian continent communists could dream of doing in the planet's history.

Your point being WHAT ?

IF u think that I am a theocrat, I assure u that u r mistaken.
I have always supported a secular republic.

David
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 11:39 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I'm on her ignore list and it's a wonderful place to be.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 12:03 pm
@cjhsa,
all I know for sure is that it will amusing to see US politicians and oil people lining up to suck Cubas dick now.
0 Replies