Male or Female Boss- which do you prefer?

Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 02:53 pm
@Heeven,
Love that comment to your boss about not hating him.

I agree completely that many people are "managers" without knowing how to manage people. In my industry, often times people who are promoted are those who are stronger technically - those that know who to do the work - which is great, but then they have never managed people.

I have one person now who works in the group - he wants to get promoted to a manager role which would be the next move up for him. He is excellent at his job and does great in reviewing others work, however, he lacks the soft skills. I've tried to see if I could sign him up for some in-house management classes to help him, but alas those are only for current managers! So instead I am supposed to promote him let him screw up as a manager so we send him to classes?!
lolohoho

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 05:51 am
@Linkat,
national boss' day?? what's kind of it?
I've worked for a couple. They have high criterior of the employees and alway shouting to us: all you guys must improve your effectiveness. Do not waste time !
While look at themselves, the male boss is like having a long tonge, holding meeting everyday without any essence, but lasting 1-2hours. quite hoorrible. as to his wife, the female boss is just a crazy woman, always blame others even if her own make the mistake and alway make a fuss which make us nervous everyday.
So as a boss no matter male or female, i prefer the one who can lead an example to his/her employees.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 03:25 am
I have had a lot of bosses. I have also had a lot of 'contract' bosses - folk who have hired me to do a short term contract. They were of most sexes. There could have been some inter-sexes there.

Due to the nature of the industry most of them were women. That's only an observation, because I must say that managerial competence has NOTHING to do with what you might be packing below the belt. I had some great women managers, I also had some duds and I had some ******* shockers! One was quite mad*.

Some of the male bosses tended to be authoritarian. Not a good mix with me. Some turned out to have poor people skills. So do I. I guess I would make an lousy manager.

I have just started a new role in a new workplace. The manager is a great bloke. I can see that we've got a lot of similiar life experiences, so I don't expect to have the sort of hassles I had in the last job.

*little explanation - my background is libraries. It is not a big secret that some of the people who make managers there can be 'idiosyncratic'. They're frequently referred to as a 'bit odd'. We may refer to the less lucid as 'maddies'. We are polite people. However, when you reach the point that someone like myself would openly declare the manager of a library to be 'barking mad', we are talking serious derangement.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 03:37 am
@Linkat,
Every boss I've ever had actually done their jobs right. I never seen an incompetent boss or bitchy manager. (No micromanaging or w/e.)

However, I'd really prefer that they retain me bc I not only liked where I worked, but I also showed it by working hard on the salesfloor. Unless I was people greeting, I get at least 80% done each night. Mal-Wart softlines consider that good work performance. Even the girl mgr over us admitted that. Yet, not only did they can me, they were totally disrespectful, telling me I'm not fit to work. You know what's creepy? The guy who canned me (and the girl who watched me get canned) weren't even that much older than me. They were 24 and 26 respectively. Are they even old enough to make decisions as managers? With only 2 ppl left in Ladies Wear, I can only imagine how much (don't) get done.

The boss I had b4 that one, she wasn't bitchy or incompetent, but she somehow never caught me knocking over sizers once or having a 2 minute arguement w/ a male coworker in the breakroom. Otherwise, she prolly woulda canned me too, idk, but she actually gave me a reference to get that Mal-Wart job. Maybe she'd retain me even if I did get caught cuz I worked hard over there too and maybe bc she actually is old enough to make decision as manager. The point is, it doesn't matter whether managers are male or female, as long as they could see a hard worker for who they are.
aidan

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 03:51 am
@dirrtydozen22,
I've had eight bosses
4 female -4 male
two of them I didn't enjoy working with- both female- both micromanagers-which I think undermines confidence and generally makes the workplace more stressful. All sorts of people had all sorts of problems working at those two places.
The other two females I worked for - I loved- as in admired, respected, learned from, etc.- and they were very happy workplaces.
All of my male bosses I found to be exceptional people- and all shared a common trait with the two females I did enjoy working for - they recognized when I needed help and/or direction, but they also recognized when I didn't and allowed me a large degree of autonomy.
So they were supportive at the same time they were encouraging of independence. This instilled confidence in their employees in terms of their thinking about their ability to do their job well, employees were generally happy doing their job and this made working a lot more rewarding and fun.

I think I have to say I have more of a sense of confidence that I'll enjoy working for a male supervisor. They just seem to be a little more easygoing, generally.

0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 04:00 am
In my experiences, I only had one female boss that I liked and only one male boss that I didn't like, so I much prefer working for men.
Now that I think about it, I prefer hanging out with men as well.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 04:04 am
@Montana,
i just want a competent boss. gender don't matter. but yeah, now that i think about it, it was a guy who canned me, not a girl, so I could safely say female bosses are better.
keepingitreal

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 01:57 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Give...me....a.....break....Women bosses suck massively - by and large. Even most women don't like working for women. Women react from emotion first..and then may never even get over how they feel to even think about what they did. These few folks here who say, "there's no difference in behavior of a boss from male to female" are just plain stupid, in denial or just haven't experienced a great number of bosses, both male and female, to be able to gauge a difference or to see any patterns. That's not to say there doesn't exist some female boss who isn't half decent or that there aren't any sucky male bosses. I'm saying the VAST MAJORITY of women suck at being bosses. Keep it real folks.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 10:47 am
@keepingitreal,
You're arriving at conclusions based on your own experience. What you say can't be proven by credible sources on this subject. I've worked for women bosses, and had no problem vs men bosses. From my own experience, I'd say I had more problems with men bosses. Doesn't prove me right on this subject.
0 Replies