The stick of death.

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 11:34 am
I put a politics tag on this because it is the government and politicians who perpetuate this cycle of death. If any company or individual were to provide an equivalent source of "sickness" they would be tossed in a cell for life. Yet governments help this disease spread and make money of it to boot.

Quote:

WHO keeps tabs on smokers with 'death clock'

The "death clock," which shows the number of tobacco-related deaths since the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) negotiations began in October 1999, stood at just under the 40 million mark at the unveiling.

The WHO said it expects tobacco to kill more than 5 million people this year -- greater than the combined death toll from Tuberculosis, AIDS and malaria.

"This 'epidemic' is hitting the poorest of the poor," said Douglas Bettcher, director of the WHO's Tobacco-Free Initiative.

But he added that "we do see some green shoots in some countries" taking action to curb tobacco use, such as the use of graphic pictures showing damaged lungs and other health consequences on cigarette packets.

Six hundred delegates from over 150 countries are meeting in Geneva this week to negotiate an FCTC protocol against the illegal trade in tobacco products.

The WHO said this trade is linked to organised crime and even terrorism, and it estimates that 50 billion dollars is lost in tax revenues to governments every year.

GENEVA (AFP) - The World Health Organisation and anti-smoking activists on Monday unveiled a "death clock" tracking how many people will die from tobacco use to mark a new campaign against the illicit tobacco trade.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,313 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 11:57 am
@JTT,
I picked up smoking in the service, but cigarettes used to cost about .15c/pack back then, so I smoked about three packs/day, but most of it burned in the ashtray. I quit in my early thirties, but had a couple of cigars when we had our first Chicago a2k gathering a few years ago, and haven't smoked since.

Our son smokes, but he can't smoke inside the house. I can still smell the smoke when he steps into the house after smoking outside.
Miller

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 12:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Obama is nicotine addicted.
OGIONIK

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 12:48 pm
@Miller,
i smoke blunts every so often now, for those who dotn know weed inside a tobacco wrap prettyyu much i dont know how they make them..

i should prolly find out LOL.

anyway, i should stop, but its the best way to smoke.

argh i shold start eating it hah.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 01:05 pm
@JTT,
40M you say??

That could some day put Camel and Marlboro in the same league as Rachel Carson and William Ruckelshaus, couldn't it??

www.junkscience.com/ddtfaq.html
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 11:02 am
Why don't they do the same thing with booze?

Why the double standard?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 11:10 am
I had a girlfriend back in Cleveland, around 1978, who called me by the title of this thread. I considered it a very nice compliment. Lately, however, it has been reduced to "The stick of relentless annoyance"
Gargamel

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 11:13 am
@gustavratzenhofer,
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I had a girlfriend back in Cleveland, around 1978, who called me by the title of this thread. I considered it a very nice compliment. Lately, however, it has been reduced to "The stick of relentless annoyance"

Mine has always been referred to as, "The rabbit's foot."

This is because rabbits are pretty fiesty in the bed department! I think.
0 Replies