Why are so many things dying around my house lately?

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 10:20 am
It all started last week when a mini tornado ravished my house and yard, causing some fixable damage to my windows. I haven't even had my roof inspected yet.

Three days ago, my combination microwave-convection oven died on me. I tested everything I could think of that would cause power loss, without success. I took it to a microwave repair shop and the nice owner rushed the repair for me. They found a dead switch and replaced it. Cost me $67, but was worth it because it is my most useful appliance in my old age.

Then, two days ago, my Oster toaster died. Just stopped working. Couldn't find the cause so I went to the drug store and bought a cheap toaster for $4 until I can get my wonderful toaster fixed.

Yesterday, I was moving plants around in my bathroom and knocked over a class water fountain and broke it. Not only was it lovely, it brought moisture into the rooms when the air is dry.

I held my breath when I turned on my computer this morning, wondering if it was going to die on me, too.

What is going on? Why, when one thing breaks, a bunch of other things break, too?

Has McCain-Palin put a hex on me?

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,164 • Replies: 22

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 10:26 am
no, BArack Obama done it.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 10:28 am
@farmerman,
I shoulda know that Black man was up to no good. That stinker must have forgot that I voted for him by absentee ballot this week.

BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 10:32 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Here we all are, trying to reduce our spending to protect ourselves during this recession, and my appliances are dying on me faster than I can bury them. I'm keeping my finger crossed that my furnace won't die. My damn dogs won't stay well and are costing me a bundle, too. Gas prices are lower but I can't afford to go anywhere.

It must be a communist plot!

BBB

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 04:42 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Everything goes in cycles. Today it's the things you've mentioned. Soon the wheel must turn and it will be better. As GH said, All Things Must Pass. But I do sympathize. Hope things improve real fast
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 06:00 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
bbb :

remember : if you start "hoarding" your money , you are slowly but surely going to strangle the economy !
the american worker (and factory owner) depend on you to keep things rolling .. ...
seriously , while saving money is good for the individual , if everyone starts saving and holding on to the money "CRASH" goes everything !
money was "invented" to facility trade .
hbg
0 Replies

bruce kolstad

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 06:36 pm
Once George Bush leaves office everything, and I mean everything, will start breaking. Mr. Bush does not get the credit he deserves for keeping this country strong and intact.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 07:57 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/PDS/PDS049/LS013146.jpg
BBB, at her wit's end, pulls her hair out after her fricking toaster bellies up.
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 08:50 pm
@farmerman,
Thaaaaaaaaats right.

Blame it on us black folk.
ALWAYS the black person huh ?

thats ok.

we are watching you. ...............
cjhsa

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 05:58 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
You could have bought a brand new microwave for the same price. Throwing good money after bad is never a way to successfully save.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:07 am
@cjhsa,
cjsha said "You could have bought a brand new microwave for the same price. Throwing good money after bad is never a way to successfully save."

No, I couldn't buy a new microwave-convection oven combination for the price of the repairs. When new, it cost nearly $200 so it was worth the $70 repairs. I like the combination for several reasons. I do a lot of my cooking in it because it is physically easier for me than on my large gas stove due to my inability to stand for long periods of time (misbehaving spine). I save a lot of money by using electricity instead of natural gas. Using The small convention oven is more efficient and less costly to operate that the large oven on my gas stove, natural gas being quite expensive, which is helpful when one lives on a fixed income. Since most of my baking size needs are small, not big, it is more conservation designed. I learned that it has a more fragile high-tech switch than what is used in most microwave ovens. The high tech switch lasted for two years. The repair man told me if the switch fails again, he will replace it with the more sturdy metal one he showed me that is used in most microwave ovens.
BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:14 am
@shewolfnm,
You just can't trust that snooty Farmerman, Shewolf.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:16 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote: "BBB, at her wit's end, pulls her hair out after her fricking toaster bellies up."

Reyn, to make things worse, when I tried to use the cheap toaster I bought two days ago, it wouldn't work. I had to take it back, get a refund, and drive to Target to buy a good one.

BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:22 am
Guess what? Another appliance hit the dirt yesterday. My ComCast TV remote control died. I drove to the ComCast store and they gave me a replacement. It works fine except that the mute and volume control was set at the factory. I tried to follow the instructions for removing the factory control so I could set the volume myself, but I can't get it to work. Don't know why I'm inept but I'm frustrated.

Dys, smarty, please fix it for me!

BBB
cjhsa

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:41 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Remotes are a pain in the butt. I programmed my DirecTV remote to turn my TV on and off and adjust the volume. Trouble is, the TV will cycle on just the "on" code, while the sat unit requires you to press "off" to turn off. It really confuses people who come to visit. They keep pressing "On" and the TV will turn on and off.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 08:38 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
[...] when I tried to use the cheap toaster I bought two days ago, it wouldn't work.

That's funny, because whenever we've bought expensive toasters, we found that they didn't last very long. We've had more luck with the cheaper ones.

It's a science. Have you noticed that they conk out just after the year's warranty is gone? Laughing
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:28 am
@Reyn,
Reyn, I've learned that the cheap toaster probably did work but I didn't know it.

I can't believe that this is what happened to the toaster. When my cleaning lady was working in my kitchen, she accidently pushed the black button on the electrical outlet that shut down the electricity on two walls. Because this outlet is not on the wall my toaster was connected to, I didn't notice the power was off, including my small freezer. As a result, my freezer had no electricity for three days. When I discovered it, I opened my freezer and found all of my food was defrosting, but still cold. I hope I'm able to save everything because most of it was expensive meats, etc.

So I took the new toaster back to the store for a refund. Plugged in my old toaster, which works fine after I pushed the red button on the electrical outlet. So my test didn't detect the outlet wasn't working because I tested the toaster on the two walls that were effected. Had I gone to another room to test, I would have discovered the problem.

Now I have to caution my cleaning lady to avoid pushing on the buttoned outlets while she is washing walls. She once did the same thing while cleaning behind the television in my bedroom. It took me a while to discover why my TV wouldn't work.

I know for sure that the outlet problem was not the cause of my microwave oven power failure because that happened before my cleaning lady arrive at my home.

BBB
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:55 pm
Sounds like your house may have gotten zapped by an electrical surge during the brief mini tornado.

Regardless, you might want to get someone to check out your electrical wiring, especially if it all seems to be localized to one circuit like the appliances in your kitchen.

If I remember the layout of your house from my visit, your kitchen location is very near to the backyard where a lot of the yard damage and disruption occurred.

Check out all your other appliances in the area that were plugged in, and your other electronics such as your VCR and stereo too. Do the dishwasher, stovetop and ovens work as expected?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 08:36 am
@Butrflynet,
Good idea Butrflynet. Except that everything worked in my house after the mini tornado. The problem didn't start until Beva, my cleaning lady, accidently pushed the button on my electrical outlet three days later. Everything seems to be working now.

BBB
dyslexia

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 08:42 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
GFI