What do the top ten cities with the highest poverty rate all have in common?

parados

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 07:58 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Then be so kind as to explain why the states show the opposite of cities in Republican governance and poverty.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:08 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Quote:
No, just a pretty common cum hoc ergo propter hoc logical fallacy.

Ah yes, a logical fallacy.

So what are the other possible explanations for the correlation?

Without a more compelling explanation it's hard to sustain an argument of Cum Hoc.

On the contrary: without a more compelling explanation, it's hard to sustain an argument of causation. After all, causation requires some kind of evidence, whereas coincidence doesn't. If you are arguing that electing Democratic mayors causes poverty, then it's up to you to provide the proof, or at least provide some plausible theory that can explain the causal link between the two.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The ten American cities with the highest poverty rates have a long and steadfast history of Democratic governance, and you would have us believe it is uncorrelated.

No, I most definitely did not say that. There is a correlation. But then that's all there is.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
While correlation may not unerringly imply causation, it very often does.

No, not really. If I break a mirror and then suffer some unrelated bad luck, I can easily correlate the breaking of the mirror with my subsequent bad luck, but I can't provide any sort of causal link between the two events.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
In any case, I'm happy to accept that rather than sustained Democratic governance causing high poverty rates, high poverty rates causes sustained Democratic governance. Presumably, if Democratic governance was capable of reducing poverty rates it would do so and pave the way for Republican governance.

Whether the one causes the other or vice versa, it's still a logical fallacy. If you want to accept logical fallacies as proof, then that's your affair. It says a lot more about you than it does about poverty in American cities.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
As I've already suggested, I'm sure that you and (was it?) parados are prepared to argue that somehow right-wingers are the actual casue of the correlation, but I think we need to hear something more than "True that!"

I am certainly not prepared to argue that. Unlike you, I am not eager to embrace any common and obvious logical error just because it might fit with my political beliefs. That you are willing to do so is, on the other hand, no great surprise.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
You may not agree with it, but the argument that there is a correlation between Democratic governance and high poverty rates is hardly irrational.

I never said it was. As I pointed out above, there is, at least on its face, a correlation here.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It may not be that Democratic governance promotes poverty (although I would argue that is the case), but the correlation certainly doesn't require a jump to reach the conclusion that Democratic governance doesn't reduce poverty rates.

No, it doesn't require a jump. All it requires is the closing of one's eyes.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 06:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:

You keep posting crap over and over cjhsa as if you think you will get a different result.

NO.
Its really very good.
U just lack the intellectual strength to understand it.

David

What makes it very good? Perhaps you could use your intellectual strength to expand the intellect of those of us who think it is crap and has no bearing on anything.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 06:34 pm
Quote:

I thought the thread was about the top 10 cities in the world, from the title.
Nah, the US, I see.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 06:48 pm
@msolga,
They are gonna beat themselves up over the chicken and the egg...

Oh well, I guess it beats outright politics.

How's Auzzie land tonite?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 06:55 pm
(Can't seem to get the reply function to work just now .... )

As of midday Saturday, all seems to be a A OK in Oz, Rockhead!
Rockhead

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 07:01 pm
@msolga,
That's OK, my rep will forever be in the crapper, anyway...

(gonna do pork chops n' kraut this weekend)

I prolly ought naught derail the shooter much more, I will watch for ya elsewhere...
msolga

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 07:04 pm
@Rockhead,
Right!
Good idea, Rocky!
(Leaving quickly, too, before the complaints begin ... Wink )
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 01:52 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
On the contrary: without a more compelling explanation, it's hard to sustain an argument of causation. After all, causation requires some kind of evidence, whereas coincidence doesn't. If you are arguing that electing Democratic mayors causes poverty, then it's up to you to provide the proof, or at least provide some plausible theory that can explain the causal link between the two

Not quite Joe.

Cum Hoc implies that there is nothing more than correlation.

It's hard to imagine that you are unable to fathom the argument for a compelling explanation conservatives might make for a causative link between Democratic governance and high levels of poverty. It is not hard to imagine that you would require the obvious argument to forestall your claim of Cum Hoc.

At least you recognize that it isn't up to me to provide proof of causation to avoid Cum Hoc, and yet you felt compelled to throw that requirement out there none-the-less.

As for a plausible theory, what possible chance is there than any conservative theory will meet your criteria for plausibility?

Never-the-less, to deprive you of your hyper-technical line of argument:

Democratic governance, typicaly, relies upon throwing taxpayer money at a problem to solve it. As respects poverty, Democratic governance has, reliably, resorted to throwing taxpayer money at the poor in an effort to bring them above the poverty level. Throwing money at the poor (e.g. Welfare) has no positive track record, at all, of resolving poverty and spawned any number of reasonable asertions that it has actually perpetuated it.

Quote:
Finn: While correlation may not unerringly imply causation, it very often does.

Joe: No, not really. If I break a mirror and then suffer some unrelated bad luck, I can easily correlate the breaking of the mirror with my subsequent bad luck, but I can't provide any sort of causal link between the two events.

Yes really.

That you can identify one correlation that doesn't accurately imply causation in no way disproves or invalidates my contention.

Quote:
Whether the one causes the other or vice versa, it's still a logical fallacy. If you want to accept logical fallacies as proof, then that's your affair. It says a lot more about you than it does about poverty in American cities.

Ad hominem.

Quote:
I am certainly not prepared to argue that. Unlike you, I am not eager to embrace any common and obvious logical error just because it might fit with my political beliefs. That you are willing to do so is, on the other hand, no great surprise.

Ad hominem

Quote:
No, it doesn't require a jump. All it requires is the closing of one's eyes.

A glib dodge (and a not so veiled ad hominem).

Cum Hoc requires a jump.

parados

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 03:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
So then you are willing to argue that Republican governance at the state level causes poverty? The facts are similar in that poverty and Republican governance at the state level seem to go hand in hand.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 04:47 pm
@parados,
All seems quiet now. No responses to questions that cannot be answered without showing the accusers to be in over their heads.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 05:03 pm
@parados,
What are the facts of which you speak, and do you believe that the responsibility for local conditions is rightfully passed on to the outer rings of governance? (I suspect you do).

By your logic, the federal government is ulitmatly responsible for the poverty levels of each and every state, city, county, parrish and town.

Governors, Republican or Democratic, are responsible for the general conditions of the states which they govern. If a city within their state is particularly troubled, it is appropriate to judge them in terms of what they may do to assist the local government in addressing the problem, but the primary accountability for the condition of a city rests with the governing body of that city.

Otherwise, why have local governance, and. more importantly, why have city taxes?

parados

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 05:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Posted here
http://able2know.org/topic/124090-1#post-3440563

Quote:
What are the facts of which you speak, and do you believe that the responsibility for local conditions is rightfully passed on to the outer rings of governance? (I suspect you do).
On what basis is "local" restricted to city limits? Alaska has fewer people than Detroit. Should we base "local" on population or land mass or some other factor? Your argument of cause and effect has some serious problems.
Quote:

By your logic, the federal government is ulitmatly responsible for the poverty levels of each and every state, city, county, parrish and town.

By your logic you seem to think that the only factor that can affect people's lives is the government of a large city? By discounting the governance of states when it comes to poverty you undercut your argument that there is some cause and effect between governance and poverty. You will notice that the poverty stricken states are not the same ones that have the large poverty stricken cities. That makes it hard to blame the state problems on the governance of large cities by Democrats.

0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 07:20 pm
@MontereyJack,
even i know correlation doesnt mean causation, jeez.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:25 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Not quite Joe.

Cum Hoc implies that there is nothing more than correlation.

It's hard to imagine that you are unable to fathom the argument for a compelling explanation conservatives might make for a causative link between Democratic governance and high levels of poverty. It is not hard to imagine that you would require the obvious argument to forestall your claim of Cum Hoc.

Well, I can think of a lot of obvious arguments. None of them are actually good arguments, to be sure, but at least they're obvious.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
As for a plausible theory, what possible chance is there than any conservative theory will meet your criteria for plausibility?

Not much of one. Not because I wouldn't accept a plausible theory, it's just that I doubt one exists. I will, however, lay out my criteria for accepting a theory that posits a causal link between electing Democrats and poverty:

1. There must be shown some mechanism, apart from mere correlation, whereby poverty can be linked to the election of Democrats;
2. There should be a direct correlation between rates of poverty and the terms of office of Democrats, such that poverty goes up when Democrats replace Republicans and poverty goes down when Republicans replace Democrats;
3. Statistical analysis should be applied to the preceding in order to eliminate any "confounding factors," such as economic conditions, geographic and historical factors, etc.

If, after all of that, there is still a correlation between Democrats in office and poverty, then I will concede that you've established a causal link.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Never-the-less, to deprive you of your hyper-technical line of argument:

Democratic governance, typicaly, relies upon throwing taxpayer money at a problem to solve it. As respects poverty, Democratic governance has, reliably, resorted to throwing taxpayer money at the poor in an effort to bring them above the poverty level. Throwing money at the poor (e.g. Welfare) has no positive track record, at all, of resolving poverty and spawned any number of reasonable asertions that it has actually perpetuated it.

Then we should expect, as Parados has pointed out, that Republican governors would not be leading states with the highest rates of poverty. But then I see you have an explanation for that, too.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
That you can identify one correlation that doesn't accurately imply causation in no way disproves or invalidates my contention.

Well, your contention is a logical fallacy. I really don't have to do more than point that out in order to invalidate your contention.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Ad hominem.

Amazing. You know even less about the ad hominem fallacy than you do about the cum hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Cum Hoc requires a jump.

A jump you've gladly taken.
0 Replies

Always Eleven to him

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 06:58 am
@joefromchicago,
No offense, joe, but the phrase is post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

Quote:
Post hoc ergo propter hoc, Latin for "after this, therefore because (on account) of this", is a logical fallacy (of the questionable cause variety) which states, "Since that event followed this one, that event must have been caused by this one." It is often shortened to simply post hoc and is also sometimes referred to as false cause, coincidental correlation or correlation not causation. It is subtly different from the fallacy cum hoc ergo propter hoc, in which the chronological ordering of a correlation is insignificant.

Post hoc is a particularly tempting error because temporal sequence appears to be integral to causality. The fallacy lies in coming to a conclusion based solely on the order of events, rather than taking into account other factors that might rule out the connection. Most familiarly, many superstitious beliefs and magical thinking arise from this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc

What cjhsa implies is a causal link between the political party of the governing authority and poverty. That causal link, though, requires a factual basis. Factual causation requires a "but for" analysis. But for the political party of the governing authority, the city would not be among the top ten poverty stricken cities. And the "but for" analysis requires facts to back it up. Right now, all I've seen is speculation.

Just my two cents' worth.
joefromchicago

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:45 am
@Always Eleven to him,
Always Eleven to him wrote:

No offense, joe, but the phrase is post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

No offense taken.

But you're wrong.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc, as you point out, means "after this, therefore because of this." That applies to situations where one event precedes another, and the first event is assumed to cause the second. But in this case, the original post posited a relationship between Democratic mayors and poverty. Those two things occur simultaneously rather than sequentially, and so we're not dealing with one event followed by another event. The correct description of this fallacy, then, is cum hoc ergo propter hoc, which means "with this, therefore because of this."

No need to thank me. I'm just glad I could assist you on your path to knowledge.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:51 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

The masses in these 10 cities and many more will riot in anger if McCain wins and they will loot in celebration if Obama wins.

What a country!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:36 am
So who is governing the cities (of that size) with the lowest poverty rates?

As for correlation and causation, I hear there is a very strong correlation between cancer and wearing shoes, but you don't see me going barefoot.

T
K
O
0 Replies