If you like investment returns,

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 05:03 pm
Vote Democratic!

Quote:

Since 1929, Republicans and Democrats have each controlled the presidency for nearly 40 years. ... As of Friday, a $10,000 investment in the S.& P. stock market index would have grown to $11,733 if invested under Republican presidents only ... Invested under Democratic presidents only, $10,000 would have grown to $300,671 at a compound rate of 8.9 percent over nearly 40 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/10/14/opinion/20081014_OPCHART.html

With pretty graphics to come.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,643 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 05:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Big Picture.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/10/14/opinion/14opchart.full.jpg

Turns out that, even if you discount Hoover's mess, Dems are still twice as good for your investment returns as Republicans.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 05:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't put much weight on such numbers and graphics. The over-lapping of the administration and congress is never constant, and the graph doesn't take into consideration at what point each administration took over the economy.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 05:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I don't put much weight on such numbers and graphics. The over-lapping of the administration and congress is never constant, and the graph doesn't take into consideration at what point each administration took over the economy.

That's a fair point to make; but still, the differences are striking. And they totally contradict the Republican claim that their leadership is a positive thing for the markets.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
On that point, history should speak all on its own. Democratic controlled government has always done better than republican one's. It doesn't take much Google search to find them.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 06:13 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 06:49 am
There's a sexual politics explanation.

The Dems are spindle sided and everybody knows that that means a spending spree and that at a certain point the sword side (Reps) has to come back and straighten out the mess and be unpopular. Having straightened it out the Dems are then abled to have another spree.

It's obvious.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 07:30 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You can look at this two ways. I look at it as people are unwilling to invest in their country when Dems are in office, and instead shift to the private sector.

Of course, Cyclo being about 12 in real age, has no clue what I'm talking about.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 12:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, I'm not sure when that graph was prepared, but the worst happened during the past two weeks. That would make GW Bush's number outdated.
hamburger

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 01:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
want to try and get some investment returns on this report ? GOOD LUCK and god-speed , i say !
hbg

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081016.wfinancialwrap1016/BNStory/Front

Quote:
U.S. reports grim data, EU vows to shield economy
EDDIE EVANS
Reuters
October 16, 2008 at 1:02 PM EDT

NEW YORK " Major U.S. banks reported huge losses and other companies painted a grim outlook for the battered U.S. economy on Thursday as Europe vowed to shield its industries from the global crisis.

EU leaders pushed plans for a global summit to overhaul the world financial system, as Switzerland took on $60-billion (U.S.) of bad debt from UBS, and European stocks fell.

In the United States, investment bank Merrill Lynch wrote down $5.7-billion in toxic assets and Citigroup reported a quarterly net loss of $2.8-billion. Motorcycle maker Harley-Davidson Inc. cut its earnings forecast for the year and big U.S. manufacturers braced for a slowdown.

U.S. industrial production posted its biggest drop in 34 years in September, while factory activity in the U.S. mid-Atlantic region fell to an 18-year low in October.

“We should anticipate further declines in employment and softness in most components of demand for goods and services,” said Gary Stern, President of the Minneapolis Fed.

see full article at link above .

http://www.kottke.org/plus/misc/images/mbw-depression.jpg

to all my friends , in america and any other place , i say : "good luck and hold on to your hat " - if you still have one .
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:02 pm
@hamburger,
I had about a dozen hats, and lost all of them during the past two weeks. LOL

What I did do was to repurchase 50% of my gains when I sold last year when the market was up at around 14,000 into my funds during the past week. I'm working on figuring out what my average prices were when sold, and what I paid for them this past week. The DOW decreased by about 40% between the two periods.
spendius

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 05:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The DOW seems to governed by a sort of mass hysteria these days it seems to me.

We will have to hope that the sedatives work. Mood swings are bad enough on the domestic front.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 06:25 pm
@spendius,
The only mass hysteria on a2k is a drunkard named spendi.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 11:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
Here's the result of my calculations on my sales and repurchase. I was able to buy back my funds at 41% less (average), and my wife's were 26% less (average).

0 Replies