My back yard looks like a tornado hit it

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 04:09 pm
Yesterday around 5 pm, all of a sudden, rain from a cloud burst hit my home along with large balls of hail and winds of about 80 MPH. I hoped my windows and roof would hold up. I focused on my four skylights, hoping they would survive the hail pounding. I watched my trees bending almost to the ground. I heard objects hitting the ground and my fence.

I called Diane and Dys to see how their house was surviving. While Diane and I were talking, another burst of high wind, hail and heavy rain arrived. There was dead silence on the phone while we both listened for sounds of damage, especially breaking window class.

This morning, I put my two dogs outside when they awoke without checking my yard first. Big mistake! About 15 minutes later, I heard my Maddy Bichon whimpering and begging to come inside. When I let the dogs in, Dolly was OK but Maddy was dripping lots of blood from his right rear foot. I tried to examine his injury and to stop the bleeding, but couldn't. At 10 am when the vet opened, I took Maddy to be examined. He had caught his foot in something and torn his middle claw from his foot. I don't know what he caught it on, but he was hurting bad. He was treated and bandaged and came home. Within about 3 hours, he had removed the bandage as dogs will do inspite of the bitter spray I used to prevent it.

My yard looked like it was hit by a tornado. Heavy wrought iron stands were lifted and blown against my fence, breaking some of the boards. Metal chairs were thrown the full length of my yard. Plastic chairs were hanging from my tree branches. Tree branches were all over the place. The heavy dog house was turned upside down.

I called Diane this morning to learn how much damage she had. She said not too much except for some furniture displacement. She said some neighbor's gutter was broken and ended up in her yard.

What is interesting is that a tornado alert was broadcast last night about 2 hours after the storm hit my property. It covered the eastern part of our county and several other counties. So I don't know if I suffered a baby tornado, a baby hurricane, or just one hell of a storm rarely seen in Albuquerque.

Maddy was really pissed. Little Dolly promised to protect him.

BBB

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,599 • Replies: 2
No top replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 04:24 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Oh, my. I thought I heard there was a remnant of a hurricane in yall's area. But not scheduled for last night.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 04:32 pm
That's terrible. I hope the poor doggie isn't suffering.
0 Replies