Problems with taking fish oil supplements?

RexRed

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 02:05 pm
I think taking fish oil daily gives me seldom skin pimples like cists on my face, anyone else having this problem? When I stop the fish oil the pimples stop occurring. The fish oil is mercury free I am just wondering if it is causing this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 14,303 • Replies: 26
Topic Closed
No top replies

roger

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 03:03 pm
@RexRed,
Never used the stuff, but I've heard nothing but good. Still, you may be the exception. Why not try staying away from it for a month, and seeing what happens.
jespah

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 04:50 pm
@roger,
I've been using it to great effect, no skin issues to speak of. Maybe you're allergic to something like the gelatin used in the pills? Might even be sensitive to the packaging, I suppose.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 01:17 am
You're probably sensitive to the increased oil intake. It's like for adolescents with acne, dermatologists recommend limiting whatever seems to cause acne breakouts.
I get pimples in the weirdest places (like my ears and eyelids!) when I eat nuts or chocolate.
RexRed

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:10 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
You're probably sensitive to the increased oil intake. It's like for adolescents with acne, dermatologists recommend limiting whatever seems to cause acne breakouts.
I get pimples in the weirdest places (like my ears and eyelids!) when I eat nuts or chocolate.

Hmmm, I think we are much alike, do you have fine skin? Smile

Besides living in Maine I eat fish and shellfish nearly every other day. I just may have all I need of the oil. My dad used to make us all have a spoonful of cod liver oil after dinner each night as my siblings would hold it under their tongue and rush to spit it out in the toilet. Smile

Family affair, God bless his heart. Smile

I just recently started taking two supplements and I am quite pleased with the energy and overall wellness, healing they are giving me.

One is" "Glutathione" 500mg (pharmaceutical grade) three times a day (whole foods)

The other is: "Alpha Liopic Acid" 600mg once a day (GNC)

Plus a multi-vitamin with b6 and b12 etc. (whole foods)

any thoughts?

I HIGHLY recommend the Glutathione.
Miller

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:13 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

I think taking fish oil daily gives me seldom skin pimples like cists on my face, anyone else having this problem? When I stop the fish oil the pimples stop occurring. The fish oil is mercury free I am just wondering if it is causing this.

Dose may be too high and you might also have to find a different face soap .
RexRed

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:49 am
@Miller,
Quote:
Dose may be too high and you might also have to find a different face soap .

Infra seems to have hit it. (at least what I have suspected)

Nuts seem to bring on the exact same pimples. So yes, the dose may be too high for me. Even once a week with the fish oil will give these to me. I think too much vitamin E can also do this. Maybe my body stores oils moreso than generality.

I should probably get my cholesterol levels checked. Cut down on other oils. Maybe use olive instead of vegetable or canola and strictly lean meats.

I generally buy high end natural soaps and rotate them often.

I also get professional face peels by a trained dermatologist. That makes the skin much more healthy can bring pimples lying dormant to the surface. But I don’t think this is it because I have been using acids consistently on my skin for years.

I seem to get a pimple every two months or so. I have friends who do too. I have considered they were staph but I believe staph sets in after the pores get plugged.

I was at Mc Donalds the other day and some guy had a big pimple on his face about the size of mount Vesuvius. Smile

Again it seems that it is related to grease and too much intake.

Clogged pores, oils that do not leave the body as easily as water soluble minerals and nutrients, only a hunch.

0 Replies

roger

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:27 am
@RexRed,
Alpha Liopic Acid is good. GNC prices are not. Not sure, but I think the spelling is lipoic.
RexRed

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 12:49 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Not sure, but I think the spelling is lipoic.

You are correct about the spelling, thx Smile

roger

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 12:50 pm
@RexRed,
Trust me, I'm right about GNC pricing, too.
RexRed

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 01:15 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Trust me, I'm right about GNC pricing, too.

Hmm and GNC doesn't have much of a guarantee their supplements are what they claim to be. I guess they have an independent company that randomly tests them. Smile

0 Replies

The Founder

Wed 4 Aug, 2010 09:07 pm
@RexRed,
yup same here like big zits and non-stop! my sex life suffered cuz of that not even kidding [i'm like Y am I having these zits?! all over my face] i stopped drinking fish oil hopefully my skin will go back to normal soon! Sad argh hate it
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 4 Aug, 2010 09:14 pm
@RexRed,
I bought some of those, but I hate big capsules. I talked to the pharmacist who agreed I could just add the oil in the capsule to soup, as heat wasn't a problem. Me, I'd rather eat fish than deal with expensive supplements, as I like fish.
roger

Wed 4 Aug, 2010 10:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, you know me and seafood. Gimme a pill.
ossobuco

Wed 4 Aug, 2010 10:39 pm
@roger,
I do, and I would, but they're not cute little pills, like the vitamin d ones. No, they are gullet pellets, gag city, speaking personally.

But, hey, clip the pill with a scisssors and add the oil to something you are cooking. Pretend it's olive oil, or safflower, etc.
Irishk

Wed 4 Aug, 2010 11:15 pm
@ossobuco,
The ones I got were huge, too. We ended up giving them to our dog when he ran out of the ones the vet prescribed for his skin allergy. He LOVED 'em.
0 Replies

RexRed

Thu 5 Aug, 2010 07:42 am
I have been wanting to update this discussion. My current doctor (an osteopathic MD) insisted I start taking fish oil supplements again so I have and I have found that not only do they correct some dry skin problems but i do not have any adverse side effects whatsoever from them. My occasional bouts of stress pimples must be caused by something else.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Thu 5 Aug, 2010 07:57 am
@RexRed,
In addition to the dosage, the problem may be with the vehicle. Why not try another brand?
RexRed

Thu 5 Aug, 2010 01:48 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

In addition to the dosage, the problem may be with the vehicle. Why not try another brand?

It could have been the brand, I have been on fish oil for months (a different brand) without any problems now, I will be keeping this supplement in my diet. Smile
0 Replies

randyjohn

Sat 9 Jul, 2011 03:15 am
@RexRed,
Maybe it's the brand of the fish oil supplements you've take. The best fish oil supplement are those in pure natural made. If you will asked me for a brand, i would preferred the Maxalife, their supplement is the purest in the world. Hope this info helps you Smile
0 Replies