Why does this happen?

lovejoy

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 08:36 am
When I watch my fav cop show law and order it is frequently snowing with snow piled up at the kerbside.

My question is this, since I live in Yorkshire which is on the same longitude as New york how come it hasn't snowed here in living memory?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 904 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:46 am
@lovejoy,
I was starting to look this up (in part, it has to do with the directions/pattern of the waters of the Atlantic) when I realized that I've always thought of Yorkshire as being quite a snowy area - and then googled pix and articles about Yorkshire and snow.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:52 am
I dunno.

We DO get snow in NY.
lovejoy

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 10:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I know you get snow in New york David the question was why dont we get snow in yorkshire except on the hills
jespah

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 10:31 am
@lovejoy,
Hmm I wonder if the Gulf Stream has something to do with that.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 10:36 am
@lovejoy,
Quote:

I know you get snow in New york David
the question was why dont we get snow in yorkshire except on the hills

At the risk of being redundant,
I re-iterate: I dunno.

David
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 11:19 am
@lovejoy,
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/North-Atlantic-Drift-Gulf-Stream.htm

Quote:
The relatively warm waters of the North Atlantic Drift are responsible for moderating the climate of western Europe, so that winters are less cold than would otherwise be expected at its latitude. Without the warm North Atlantic Drift, the UK and other places in Europe would be as cold as Canada, at the same latitude. For example, without this steady stream of warmth the British Isles winters are estimated to be more than 5 °C cooler, bringing the average December temperature in London to about 2°C.

patiodog

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:07 pm
@mac11,
Must be that damned Labrador keeping the northeastern US all chilly like that...

http://www.geni.org/globalenergy/library/renewable-energy-resources/world/sources_world/Ocean%20Current%20Map_files/oceancurrents.gif
0 Replies