One big reason why Obama will win this election.

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 02:53 pm
People who are voting for Obama actually feel like they are voting FOR something, as opposed to McCain supporters, who are mostly just voting AGAINST Obama.

Most McCain supporters don't really even support him. They just hate democrats or liberals or muslims, or whatever imaginary boogyman they believe Obama represents. That's not gonna get it done this time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,041 • Replies: 24
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 04:00 pm
@kickycan,
That's a funny thing about this election, because McCain is trying to create questions in people's minds about "who is Obama?"

McCain doesn't want to talk about the issues.

McCain has flip-flopped on the major issues on so many things, "who is McCain?"

McCain uses lies and innuendos to get his point across.

Will they work?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 04:02 pm
@kickycan,
That's B.S. Kicky. Razz
ebrown p

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 04:41 pm
@mismi,
Well then mismi... why do you think Obama will win the election?
mismi

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 04:43 pm
@ebrown p,
Who says I think Obama will win?

I was just trying to surprise Kicky by posting on a political thread.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 04:55 pm
@mismi,
Quote:

Who says I think Obama will win?

You seem like an intelligent person (I guess I shouldn't assume).
mismi

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 04:58 pm
@ebrown p,
ba dum bum - rimshot for you ebrown - what a comedian! Wink
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 06:07 pm
@kickycan,
I agree Kicky. A couple of decades ago, I decided what I wanted in a President. Someone smart, smart enough to understand the issues. Someone who recognized he didn't know everything so he would surround himself with people who do regardless of party and listen to their advice even if he didn't ultimately follow it. Someone with a vision for the country, a view of where we could and should be as a nation. I never got to vote for that kind of candidate before. I think we have one now and I don't have to vote for the lesser of two evils.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 06:23 pm
What's with the rose-tinted glasses, kicky? What's going to make this election any different?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:41 pm
I think Obama will win, but not for the reason suggested by Kicky.

In fact, usually bipartisan elections are more about who you DON'T want than about who you do want.
McCain is pressing the "don't vote Obama" button precisely because his team knows that's the only possible way he can have a chance.

I think Obama will not win because of himself, either; but because people DON'T want another Republican, after the Bush fiasco. No matter how hard McCain tries to demonstrate he's different from GWB, that's his ball & chain.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:44 pm
@fbaezer,
Well said; I'm in that "pool" of voters.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:45 pm
@fbaezer,
McCain doesn't detail how he's different than Bush. It would be more believable if he could give you a bullet-point list of differences. But he can't, and not because there are none - though not many naturally - but because he can't afford to remind his Republican base that he is more Liberal than Bush on many issues, as many of them feel that Bush was already too Liberal...

It can't be fun to walk a tightrope for months, and McCain has had to do exactly that.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
McCain's health plan to give a $5,000 credit, then turn around and tax health benefits provided by their employer is a pay Peter, then take from Paul shell game. McCain's social security plan to "invest in the stock market" is dead in the water - even for fear of mentioning it; he'd be shot at sundown.

All the while, McCain's rhetoric are lies and innuendos; "Obama voted for increasing taxes on the middle class - for people earning $42,000." The public isn't listening to the Obama tax cuts that will give tax cuts to 90% of workers. Only when a person earns $250,000 will they see any tax increase.
Most small businesses do not have a $250,000 net taxable profit. That's another lie perpetrated by McCain about small business taxes.

I want to hear what McCain has said that is true; and it's not about him being a "maverick." That he voted 95% during the last congress with Bush, that's no maverick. That's a team player.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 08:05 pm
@kickycan,
EXCELLENT POINT KICKSTER. THE SUBLETY OF THIS IS PROBABLY LOST ON THE "HAIR ON FIRE" DOUCHE BAGS THAT SUCK UP EVERYTHING THAT LIMBAUGH SAYS ABOUT GRAMPA McCAIN AND HIS "VICE PRESIDENT"
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 08:58 pm
@fbaezer,
hi fbaezer, nice to see you.

But I'm not sure I buy your thesis here:
Quote:
I think Obama will win, but not for the reason suggested by Kicky.

In fact, usually bipartisan elections are more about who you DON'T want than about who you do want.
McCain is pressing the "don't vote Obama" button precisely because his team knows that's the only possible way he can have a chance.

I think Obama will not win because of himself, either; but because people DON'T want another Republican, after the Bush fiasco. No matter how hard McCain tries to demonstrate he's different from GWB, that's his ball & chain.

Particularly in a two party system, it seems any vote 'for' is also a vote 'against' by logical necessity. I suppose the question is, which of the two urges is the more motivating?

In this election, registration among the young and among african americans is very high and for both groups I think the 'for' motivation is the more reasonable assumption. Further, one of the most common attributes associated with Obama (by friends and foes alike) is his 'charisma'. That too suggests motivation 'for'. Obama would be a formidable candidate under any circumstance, I think. Bush's record, or the record of conservative/republican governance look quite irrelevant in each of these three cases.

Which isn't to say that those three cases/demographics alone would win the election. Indicators suggest that this election will be something of a landslide and that must entail a lot of 'against' voters - and there bloody well should be lots of them!

On the other side of the equation, the Palin enthusiasm amongst the base has a clear 'for' motivation (much moreso than is the case with McCain). But that's complex too because her base is so perceptibly driven by an exclusivist/enemies-behind-every-lampost (paranoid) worldview.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 09:12 pm
@blatham,
I disagree; I believe that the party who has run the country for two terms must prove to the electorate they deserve to remain in control of our country. What happened with Bush is obvious; most (over 60%) are against staying in the Iraq war, and almost everybody with any retirement savings have lost a good percentage of their hard-earned savings.

Other issues about this particular election is that we have a black candidate in the top spot, and we know how many feel about "that" issue. That we have the majority of college kids voting for Obama should overcome those who will not vote for a black as our president. It also seems the majority of old men will vote for McCain (because he served in the military and was (gasp) a POW).

Even many top republicans are against McCain's choice as his veep, and rightly so. That she is able to still attract huge crowds and wow them shows how shallow they are, but that's America.
eoe

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 09:15 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

They just hate democrats or liberals or muslims, or whatever imaginary boogyman they believe Obama represents.

You left out the obvious. They can't bear the idea of a black man in that office. This is, after all, America. Let's not kid ourselves.
Carry on...
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 02:02 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

kickycan wrote:

They just hate democrats or liberals or muslims, or whatever imaginary boogyman they believe Obama represents.

You left out the obvious. They can't bear the idea of a black man in that office. This is, after all, America. Let's not kid ourselves.
Carry on...

oh my goodness! don't you know that obama will page ludicrous to come and paint the white house black? and drop off a pound of pondo?

the stars will be removed from the flag and replaced with the islamic crescent and star?

the national anthem will be changed to that fine ol' tune, "cop killer" by ice-t?

"my fellow americans" will become "yo, wuzzup, ma niggahs" ?

all churches and synagogues will be emptied and reopened as mosques for the nation of islam?

billy graham will be imprisoned and louis farrakhan will become the new spiritual adviser to the caliphate?

all male children will be required by the newly instituted sharia laws to change their middle name to hussein?

every woman will be forced to terminate her pregnancy?

women who go around bareheaded will be beheaded?

and worst of all; the symbol of american pride, the bald eagle, will be replaced by a bucket of popeye's fried chicken?

---

unbelievable... i've heard virtually every one of these idiotic claims in one form or another...

meanwhile, the stock market just closed at the 5 year low of MINUS 9000 points.

don't worry about that weird angle of the deck, the band is still playing so everything must be cool, right ?
Rolling Eyes

patiodog

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 04:57 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
So, DTOM, you really don't think there aren't a bunch of Dixiecrats and younger similarly-minded folks who either will vote for McCain or won't go to the polls because the Democratic candidate is Black?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 06:02 pm
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

So, DTOM, you really don't think there aren't a bunch of Dixiecrats and younger similarly-minded folks who either will vote for McCain or won't go to the polls because the Democratic candidate is Black?

i don't believe that's what i said....lemme look. nope. not what i said at all.

i was in tennessee for a couple of months on family business when harold ford ran against corker. racism comes in all ages and political affiliations.

at the same time, right now, today; the smear stuff that i'm hearing is coming from the gop and the 527s. and since i was in tennessee for 3 months earlier this year, i can tell you that at least where my other house is, the support for obama was much, much stronger than what i expected to see.

from what i hear, it's only gotten stronger. that coming from people who have no reason to be dishonest about it to simply avoid ticking me off.

on the other hand, as they say, you can't really know what a person's thinking or what lever they pull in the booth.

sean hannity and that crowd? i am pretty sure what lever they're gonna pull... maybe a more honest approach(while tactically slimey), but i think they are honestly wrong.
0 Replies