The Palin Problem: governing requires knowledge, and mindless populism is just that—mindless

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:57 am
The Palin Problem
Yes, she won the debate by not imploding. But governing requires knowledge, and mindless populism is just that"mindless.

Quote:
It is not shocking to learn that politics played a big role in the making of a presidential team (ticket-balancing to attract different constituencies has been with us at least since Andrew Jackson ran with John C. Calhoun, a man he later said he would like to kill). But that honest explanation of the rationale for her candidacy"not her preparedness for office, but her personality and nascent maverickism in Alaska"raises an important question, not only about this election but about democratic leadership. Do we want leaders who are everyday folks, or do we want leaders who understand everyday folks? Therein lies an enormous difference, one that could decide the presidential election and, if McCain and Palin were to win, shape the governance of the nation.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 3,059 • Replies: 23
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:24 am
@Robert Gentel,
Or this:
Quote:
We have been here before. In 1970 a Nebraska senator, Roman L. Hruska, was defending Richard Nixon's nomination of U.S. circuit Judge G. Harrold Carswell to the Supreme Court. An underwhelming figure, Carswell was facing criticism that he was too "mediocre" for elevation. Hruska tried an interesting counterargument: "Even if he were mediocre, there are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers. They are entitled to a little representation, aren't they, and a little chance? We can't have all Brandeises, Frankfurters and Cardozos." Fair enough, but it still seems sensible to aspire to surpass mediocrity rather than embrace it
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 06:25 am
@Robert Gentel,
Good thing she can use her experience as Gov of Alaska and her administrative experience to connect with the people.An advantage neither Biden or Obama has.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 07:23 am
Factual knowledge will be freely forthcoming from
experts by whom a President will surround herself; not a problem.

Analogizing to a tug-of-war:
more important than the strength
applied by one member of a team
is the DIRECTION in which the rope is pulled.

Sarah wishes to remain loyal to principles of Original Americanism
as set forth in the Constitution.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 07:25 am
Obama has LESS knowledge and experience than Sarah does.
If that is the criterion,
then he is disqualified.

David
blatham

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:01 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Obama has LESS knowledge and experience than Sarah does.
If that is the criterion,
then he is disqualified.

This is tricky territory. I'm worried you are in serious jeopardy of having just disqualified your own post.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:08 am
@blatham,
it's amazing all the back and forth on this Palin issue...something to inspire conversation I suppose. She's not qualified....she barely knows jack ****... an that's that.
blatham

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:17 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
BP

Of course, she isn't.

So her candidacy, her rah rah support from people like Omsig, and her promotion by all (make that many) of the usual suspects are subjects of interest.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:23 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I suggest you read my topic: Francis Fukuyama: The Fall of America, Inc. Reagan started it; G.W. Bush gave it the coup de gras

BBB
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:57 am
you betcha
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:03 am
@blatham,
Quote:
I'm worried you are in serious jeopardy
of having just disqualified your own post.

No need for worry,
because I said IF.
Maybe u missed that part.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:05 am
I just watched a video about her in the German Spiegel online, and they also
called her mindless with very little knowledge. She has become the laughing
stock around the world and so has the United States for even considering someone who is as qualified as a brick layer. I compare Palin to Chavez.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:05 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I 'll stand by the reasoning in my posts on this thread.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:07 am
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
I compare Palin to Chavez.

That is a cruel defamation.

David
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:25 am
@Woiyo9,
Quote:
Good thing she can use her experience as Gov of Alaska and her administrative experience to connect with the people.An advantage neither Biden or Obama has.

She's fully qualified for the office and Oinkbama and Biden clearly are not, but there's something else in the picture.

She's clearly also one of us. The Anmerican people have been getting an increasingly large impression that most of our pols have no real clue as to how most of us live. As I read it neither SlicKKK nor Hillary KKKlintler has ever had a drivers license nor ever owned a motor vehicle. John the Gigolo Kerry is the same thing; you'd never see a picture of him doing any sort of a normal thing, always standing there on a 200' yacht, walking a truffle pig around on a leash, or doing something or other in a pink tutu. When the guy tries to show the world he's not a gun control freak you see him standing there with some sort of a $70,000 Krieghoff trap gun trying to hit a tin can on a post with it or some such.

Sarah Palin is a breath of fresh air after all that.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:26 am
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
I just watched a video about her in the German Spiegel online, and they also called her mindless with very little knowledge.

Germany used to be a serious country.....
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 10:18 am
Knowledge, experience, and maturity are all important qualifications for Presidential office. That has always been so, but is especially important at the beginning of the 21st century. Management of a swollen bureaucracy, interaction with a recalcitrant Congress, and sensitive foreign issues all while under the eye of a sensationalist Press requires exceptional leaders. Any error could easily cause a great deal of needless suffering at home and around the world. The "innocent" tyro invites challenges that a more experienced leader would be spared. Yet, the myth that any ordinary citizen plucked from obscurity is capable of leading the nation is rooted very, very deep in our national mind.

During the Revolution the idea that the Minute Men were fully the equals of British regular soldiers died hard, and the idea still had currency right up until the debacle of the 1812. Andrew Jackson was the most influential President before the Civil War, and was arguably the most popular until "landslide Johnson". Following in Jackson's footsteps of rising from a backwoods cabin to national prominence were Presidents Harrison, Polk, Taylor, Pierce, and, of course, the "Rail Splitter". Were they all really just common folks? Nope. Harrison was born in tidelands Virginia before going West to fame in the Black Hawk War, and by the time Lincoln ran for the Presidency he was a nationally prominent lawyer sought after by major corporations. After the Civil War, politicians still sought to portray themselves as "common men". Andrew Johnson, was an illiterate small businessman before becoming Governor of Kentucky and then VP. Cleveland, the only man to be elected to two non-consecutive terms built his reputation on being Mayor of Buffalo, NY. Truman, perhaps one of the greatest of all the second tier Presidents, was a failure at virtually everything he ever put his hand to except to loyally work for the Pendergast Political machine.

Can the Lack of knowledge, experience and even maturity, be overcome if the President had other exceptional characteristics? The last time we opted for something different was when we elected Jimmy Carter for his high minded values and that turned out to be a disaster. Legislation stalled, the nation was challenged repeatedly by contemptuous foreign nations (Iran, most notable), and the President was unable to effectively act because of his commitment to openness, fairness, and all the other Christian virtues.

Now we have two candidates both of whom have limited knowledge of how the world works, inexperienced and whose maturity is at least open to question. One intensely wants to become President, and that has been the thrust of his public career for a long time. The other probably never dreamed of high national office until a month ago when chosen to run for Vice-President. BTW, that's another beloved American myth; the best leaders are those who don't actively seek office. Both of these two appeal more to the radical wings of their Parties than to the more independent and moderate middle of the road voters. Their popularity seems more rooted in their charisma, than anything of substance in their political record.

Personally, I would be less anxious of a Democratic victory in this election if Sen. Biden was at the head of the ticket. If our candidate wins, the likelihood of Gov. Palin becoming President within 4 years is relatively low.
rabel22

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 12:18 pm
@Asherman,
Even if your supposition that the small chance of Palen becomeing president in the next four years was true it is still too much of a chance to take after the last eight years of republican culster fu-k government.
Asherman

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 12:50 pm
@rabel22,
Perhaps, but it is a far lower risk than electing the other inexperienced "outsider" to be the President from Day One. Which is better, a one in twenty chance of an amateur at the helm, or 100% certainty that the navigator will be inexperienced? The Vice-Presidency is traditionally a political graveyard, but, as you've pointed out (though I don't agree with your feelings about the current administration), an ill-prepared President can fill real graveyards.

0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 06:02 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
If a sitting Governor is NOT qualified for the VEEP role, explain how a one term Jr. Senator IS qualified for the Presidency?