On Democracy

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 11:53 am
Since we are quoting Mencken today, I'll offer LightWizard's signature line:

Quote:
If a politician found some of his constituents were cannibals, he'd promise them missionaries for lunch. - H. L. Mencken

But none of this is getting us any closer to getting Scrat to explain two things about the quote she considers one of her "favorites."

One: Name some fallen democracies where it can be conclusively shown that they became dictatorships as a result of people in the democracy voting themselves money from the public treasury.

Two: Whence cometh, "The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage."

If those two fundamental aspects of the initial presentation cannot be established -- the Tyler essay and this thread are nothing more than a straw man attempts to mock and disparage safety net programs.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 12:24 pm
It is power at any price, isn't it? The candidates always claim that they want to office to do what is good for the people. I don't believe them. I don't believe Ahnold's remark that pumping iron is the only thing that is better than coming. I think getting elected is better than coming. Ask any politician.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 12:26 pm
BTW, we are a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy. Democracy has been motified to fit the designed illusion. I would read why the Spartan empire failed and then decide.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 12:49 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
BTW, we are a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy. Democracy has been motified to fit the designed illusion.

Give yourself a GOLD STAR. Very Happy
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 01:44 pm
Scrat wrote:
Give yourself a GOLD STAR. Very Happy

Hey Scrat, earn yourself a gold star by answering the questions that Frank and I have posed to you.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 01:58 pm
The history of democracy in Latin America is one of advances and setbacks. In 1960, for example, virtually every nation in South America had an elected civilian leader. By 1976, all but a few countries in Central and South America were dictatorships.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 02:12 pm
McGentrix wrote:
The history of democracy in Latin America is one of advances and setbacks. In 1960, for example, virtually every nation in South America had an elected civilian leader. By 1976, all but a few countries in Central and South America were dictatorships.

Even if your comment were correct, McG, which I don't think it is, my response would be:

And bananas are yellow.

But none of that has anything to do with the topic -- or with the answers to the several questions that are still on the table.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 02:15 pm
Frank, your being cantankerous.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 02:20 pm
Frank

That could be true, because McGentrix response is taken litterally from "The New York Times (Editorial) -- 27 February 2000":The Precarious Nature of Latin Democracies

(Perhaps, he/she is Tina Rosenberg in reality and there's thus no need for a 'quotation'? Laughing )
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 02:35 pm
McGentrix wrote:

I thought I was being humorous, Mac.

Not even intending to bust your cajones -- just saying what I had to say with a bit of levity.

What was the point of your posting?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 02:55 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Frank

That could be true, because McGentrix response is taken litterally from "The New York Times (Editorial) -- 27 February 2000":The Precarious Nature of Latin Democracies

(Perhaps, he/she is Tina Rosenberg in reality and there's thus no need for a 'quotation'? Laughing )

Yo Walter.

How in the heck did you come up with that so fast?

Man, that was impressive!!!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 03:09 pm
You see, Frank, I have been for some years a parttime supervisor for MA-theses.
And the easiest thing to do was looking up quotes ... and finding stolen body of thoughts. Laughing

And since that time, I've stored a couple of excellent mega-links as "my favourites" :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 06:41 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Not even intending to bust your cajones -- just saying what I had to say with a bit of levity.

Frank, Ditto.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 06:44 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Frank

Why would I need a quote Walter? You obviously have my back.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 07:30 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Frank, Ditto.

Touche"! :wink: :wink: :wink:
0 Replies