Tonight's VP debate

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:57 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

What are you smoking tonight, FD? Win, Palin. No doubt about it.

Only in your mind!
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1479/picture1nk0.png
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/picture1nk0.png/1/w505.png
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:57 pm
I started tearing, she's so spunky cute and fast talking. I swear, if she's ever president I'll off myself, or catch a boat. Which means I'll have to move back toward the ocean. Oh, wait, Juarez. I've never been there .
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:59 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Was anyone else offended when Palin mentioned Biden's deceased wife to make one of her points? I thought it was in horribly bad taste.

My mistake. Palin refered to Biden's current wife with this line:
Quote:
You mentioned education and I'm glad you did. I know education you are passionate about with your wife being a teacher for 30 years, and god bless her. Her reward is in heaven, right?

That heaven line tossed me. Still, trying to make points off of the other guy's family is risky. Edwards tried the same to Cheney and it didn't play well.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:00 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Ticomaya wrote:

What are you smoking tonight, FD? Win, Palin. No doubt about it.

Only in your mind!
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1479/picture1nk0.png
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/picture1nk0.png/1/w505.png

Wow, that looks similar to the poll numbers. Maybe there's a partisan component here. Wink
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:00 pm
I'm not surprised that people who voted for Bush would think Palin would make a good president. Intelligence is not an issue for them.
nimh

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:04 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Conservative judges are good, so what's the issue with that? Do you really think anyone would get rid of Roe v. wade? really?

The Republican Platform, adopted at the RNC this year, does not explicitly mention Roe vs Wade. But how to interpret the following passages?

Quote:
We lament that judges have denied the people their right to set abortion policies in the states

Quote:
We oppose using public revenues to promote or perform abortion [..]. We support the appointment of judges who respect traditional family values and the sanctity and dignity of innocent human life.

We have made progress. The Supreme Court has upheld prohibitions against the barbaric practice of partial-birth abortion

I see the "we have made progress" here as an indication that they consider the ban on partial-birth abortions only as a step towards a goal that's much further ahead, a ban that goes much further.

There's nothing ambiguous about this one:

Quote:
At its core, abortion is a fundamental assault on the sanctity of innocent human life.

And then there's, for example, the Texas GOP Platform from this year. The Texas Republicans sure know what they want to do about that fundamental assault:

Quote:
the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed. We affirm our support for a Human Life Amendment to the Constitution and to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protection applies to unborn children. [..] We are resolute regarding the reversal of Roe v. Wade.

We affirm our support for the appointment and election of judges at all levels of the judiciary who respect traditional family values and the sanctity of innocent human life. We insist that the U.S. Department of Justice needs to prosecute hospitals or abortion clinics for committing induced labor (live birth) abortion. [..]

Until our final goal of total Constitutional rights for the unborn child is achieved, we beseech the Texas Legislature in consideration of our state’s rights, to enact laws that restrict and regulate abortion

So yes, I really think anyone would get rid of Roe v. Wade. Really. A whole current of influential GOPers would.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:05 pm
Here's the results from the survey I participated in. It looks like there was a bunch of obsessive partisanship by both Democrats and Republicans and those maverick independents mostly sided with the Democrats.

http://www.mediacurves.com/

Curiously, the difference in percentages in each party are very similar to the differences in the House vote on the bailout a few days ago.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:06 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/02/debate.transcript/index.html

full transcript
gungasnake

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:06 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:

Chanting "DRILL, BABY, DRILL!" now is like chanting "TYPEWRITERS, BABY, TYPEWRITERS" at the start of the computer era" - Congressman John Hall

Even if Detroit stopped making anything other than electric cars this very instant we'd still have 30 years worth of gasoline and diesel powered cars on our roads; it would be thirty years before 95% of the vehicles on the road were electric. Me, I'd rather not be sending money to Chavez and Ahmadinajad and the Saudis for another 30 years.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:07 pm
@nimh,
Thanks, Nimh. I get exhausted trying to explain to Republicans what their own party is really up to.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:09 pm
The CNN focus group says Biden won going away.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
I could not get that link to work, butterflynet. I am curious about the results.
nimh

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:10 pm
@nimh,
Here's some further points on the subject from the Texas GOP Platform, from the silly to the nasty:

Quote:
- We ask the Legislature to provide Texans opportunity to purchase "Choose Life" license plates.

- We call on the Legislature to require parental consent for any form of medical care to minors. [..] Further, we encourage the Congress to remove confidentiality mandates for minors from family planning service programs operating under Title X of the Public Health Services Act and Medicaid.

- [..] We commend the Texas Legislature for the passage of the Woman’s Right to Know Act, a law requiring abortion providers, prior to an abortion, to provide women full knowledge of the physical and psychological risks of abortion, the characteristics of the unborn child, and abortion alternatives. [..]

" We oppose sale and use of the dangerous “Morning After Pill.”

- We support legislation that requires doctors, at first opportunity, to provide to a woman who is pregnant, information about the nervous system development of her unborn child and to provide pain relief for her unborn if she orders an abortion.

- We propose legislation that entitles hospitals to refuse to perform abortions because government has no moral authority to require such an abortion.

Gotta love decrying abortion, and then wanting to also ban the morning after pill. If it was up to them ... condom broke? Tough luck, you're in the hands of God now. Teaches you for having sex when you're not ready to have kids yet, I guess.
snood

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:13 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl:

Quote:
I say McCain wins that round, just because Palin was not a complete failure.

With expectations so low, she just needed to speak english, and mostly... she did.

yup.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:15 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I could not get that link to work, butterflynet. I am curious about the results.

They must be having site problems. It isn't working for me either but was a few minutes ago. If it comes up again I'll try to post the images here.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:17 pm
@Butrflynet,
I just got it to work by using ctrl-F5 to refresh the page. Give it a try. If it still doesn't work, say so and I'll post the 12 images for the charts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:20 pm
@snood,
I admit that she can jabber, not sure audience can distinguish re substance. Might depend on what some tv station focuses on. (don't get me going on that, re any direction.)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:22 pm
Abortion Rights??

Worst possible case that there is, Roe/Wade gets overturned, and some woman living in S.D. who has to take more than one trip to NYC for abortions might decide she'd be better off living in NYC and not come back the second time.

That's hugely problematical and would probably never happen.

The demoKKKrats on the other hand never stop. Let Barrack Oinkbama get elected president, and the idea of paying $4 a gallon for gasoline will be something you look back at with fond memories: you'll be paying eight or ten.

That's because the dems don't have any real constituency and one of the little victim groups they pander to is the green/envirowhack/Malthusian crowd which wants to return human populations to medieval levels to "save the planet"....
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:23 pm
@nimh,
Teaches you for having sex when you're not ready to have kids yet, I guess.

Hey, nimh, that was our world in the fifties. Hard to explain --- now-- the onus.

0 Replies

Lambchop

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Palin will mostly skim over with her answers without going into much detail, because she just doesn't know as much as Biden.

I think this is pretty much what happened. Except for the times when she completely avoided answering questions.

I agree with a comment made by Keith Olberman. How is talking about the Bush admin "looking back to the past," when we are still living with the effects of it? Plus the fact that Bush is still in office.

0 Replies