Tonight's VP debate

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:34 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
The CNN focus group says Biden won going away.

Fox News poll: Who won?

Biden: 12%
Palin: 86%
ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
The mediacurves results are interesting. The republicans went Biden in a way I hadn't expected.

Actually, they sort of line up with tico's fox post. Sorta suggests all fox viewers are republicans, which I don't actually believe.

The independent results are <nods> encouraging.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:40 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

engineer wrote:
The CNN focus group says Biden won going away.

So I reckon everyone will go to bed happy tonight.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:42 pm
@realjohnboy,
Well, we all know that's fair and balanced.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:43 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

The mediacurves results are interesting. The republicans went Biden in a way I hadn't expected.

Actually, they sort of line up with tico's fox post. Sorta suggests all fox viewers are republicans, which I don't actually believe.

The independent results are <nods> encouraging.

I would love to see a line graph of the mediacurves results. As soon as I figure out how to do that with this latest MS fiasco of an improvement on their spreadsheet program, I'll post it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:47 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Can you give a specific link, as I looked at Foxnews.com and couldn't find
anything you're quoting. Then again, Fox is as bias as they come....
nimh

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:49 pm
@realjohnboy,
Voted comment of the night Smile
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:49 pm
One FR commentator notes that:

1. Biden the Foreign policy guru said Darfor was in CHAD!!!

2. Biden said that 100 million families would be affected by Mccain's Medical plan. There are not 100 million families in the USA.

3. Biden said that he would be "right by Obama's side" with every decision. Does Obama need a nanny?

Personally I thought Palen did fairly well given that she was not permitted to say much of anything about taboo and politically incorrect topics such as FANNY/FREDDY, Kosovo etc.

Biden mentioned Kosovo as one of the shining successes which he shared the glory in; The right person could have torn him apart on that one.

0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:50 pm
My primary debate observation is that it was run very well. Tonight's moderator was much better at keeping things on pace. I was pleased. Lehrer had good questions, but wasn't as firm about keeping things in order.

Palin - Many gaffes throughout, but overall performed above the Palin par. That doesn't say much, but it's enough to bilge the McCain campaign for another week. The small-town-isms helped her, but she was very evasive in terms of content. Palin's attempt to attack with the white flag comment didn't poll well. Nor did her attack on the media. She's given the press a story though, and it's a exciting story when compared to the depressing story that is the bailout. If she helps the McCain campaign at all it's by shifting the dialog away from something that brands the republicans negatively.

Biden - Despite doing 80+ press conferences and interviews since being picked (compared to Palin's 3...4?) Biden hasn't been able to gain a media platform. Tonight was good for him. He won the debate, don't have to take my word for it either. I admit it will be irrelevant tomorrow... irrelavent that he won however. Only in America, right?

Despite all the criticism by the right that the media is so liberal, he is what I see: All media sources making two statements.

1) Biden won the debate.
2) Palin performed better than expectations.

Strangely, number 2 is what the dialog is all about. The media does the democrats no favors. It's a ratings game.

T
K
O

0 Replies

nimh

This is interesting:

Quote:
Palin Channels Reagan

Palin's final quote was from Ronald Reagan, warning that without vigilance, "you and I are going to spend our sunset years telling our children, and our children's children, what it once was like in America when men were free."

In fact, Reagan was not warning about a general lack of vigilance about freedom, he was warning what would happen if Medicare was enacted.

--Jonathan Chait
rosborne979

@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
That must be a crack-filled cigar there, Tico. Palin did well to not fall flat on her face. But she didn't win a single question. Her answers were full of platitudes and 'dontcha knows' and winks and little punches, and no specifics on policy at all.

But suppose winning the debate were based on platitudes, donchaknow's, winks and punches, and most voters don't give a rats ass about specifics on policy...
then Sarah won.

What do you think the majority of voters base their decision on?

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:51 pm
@CalamityJane,
I just typed the results I saw on the graphic on the bottom of the screen.

No link.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:54 pm
@rosborne979,
Palin won all the stuff about oil and energy and the whole world knows that FANNY/FREDDY is a pure demoKKKrat scandal so she didn't really HAVE to win that one.
nimh

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:54 pm
Good points all, Diest.

This is unsurprising:

Quote:
Palin's Health Care Argument Is Bogus

[..] When asked to describe the McCain health care plan, Palin declared that it would give families a $5,000 tax credit--and that it would be "budget neutral."

Here's what the Tax Policy Center, the independent authority on these matters, had to say:

Quote:
The McCain plan, which would replace the current exclusion for employer-paid premiums with a refundable income tax credit of up to $5,000 for anyone purchasing health insurance and make other changes to the healthcare system, would increase the deficit by $1.3 trillion over 10 years.

In other words, Palin's statement is a lie.

Shocking, I know.

--Jonathan Cohn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:56 pm
My favorite pundit quote from tonight is from Paul Begala. Something like: I think thoughtful, intelligent leadership is in style right now.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:58 pm
There is in fact a certain concern that typical Americans have that their politicians at least have some clue as to how they live and what kinds of problems they face. As I read it, for instance, neither SlicKKK nor Hillary KKKlintler has ever owned a motor vehicle or had a driver's license. Many see that as a problem. John Kerry, same thing, I've never yet seen any sort of a picture of him doing any normal sort of thing. It's always doing something on a 100' yacht, walking a truffle pig on a leash, or doing some sort of thing in a pink tutu.

Sarah Palin obviously has a better feel for how normal people live and the people can see that.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:59 pm
@Ticomaya,
http://elections.foxnews.com/

this is showing now

Question of the Day
Who won the vice presidential debate Thursday?

Sarah Palin 42%

Joe Biden 58%

Total Voters:78128
Rockhead

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 10:01 pm
@gungasnake,
Gunga, I would almost read your political waste, were it not for the racist **** you gotta toss in as you spew it...

(get rid of the KKK if you want to be taken seriously)

and Miz Palin has no clue how "normal" folks live, BTW...
rosborne979

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 10:01 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Palin won all the stuff about oil and energy and the whole world knows that FANNY/FREDDY is a pure demoKKKrat scandal so she didn't really HAVE to win that one.

Obama's energy plan is much more strategically powerful than McCain's. Palin's continued reliance on the geographic size of Alaska as anything significant in the scheme of global oil production is ridiculous. I haven't dissected the Fanny/Freddy mess yet, but I bet both parties had their incompetent hands in that mess. One thing I know for certain is that your fanatical biases eliminate you as any measure of the situation.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 10:04 pm
funny=just heard on msnbc "Palin was a wolverine chewing plywood"
0 Replies