"3,500 children in developed world die from abuse annually"

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 09:48 am
Article from "Scoop": http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/WO0309/S00236.htm

3,500 Abused Children Die In Developed Countries
Friday, 19 September 2003, 11:30 am
Press Release: United Nations
3,500 children in developed countries die from abuse each year - UNICEF

Almost 3,500 children under the age of 15 die every year from physical abuse and neglect in developed nations, according to a new report on maltreatment published today by the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).

The UNICEF Innocenti Report Card, which brings together data on the abuse of youngsters from 27 developed countries, indicates that a small group of countries - Greece, Italy, Ireland, Norway and Spain - appear to have an exceptionally low incidence of child maltreatment death.

The United States, Mexico and Portugal have rates that are between 10 and 15 times higher, while Belgium, the Czech Republic, New Zealand, Hungary and France reach levels that are four to six times higher.

"The thousands of children who die each year from violence in their homes, schools or communities are clear proof that the world has systematically failed to protect them," UNICEF said in launching the Report.

The Study makes an explicit connection between the problem of child abuse and the broader spectrum of violence against children. The countries with the lowest rates of child deaths from maltreatment also have low rates of adult deaths from assault.

Factors such as poverty, stress, drugs and alcohol abuse, are clearly linked with the thousands of children who die each year from violence in their homes, schools and communities.

"These children deserve to live in a protective environment - one that safeguards them from abuse and exploitation," UNICEF said.

I wonder what Greece, Italy, Ireland, Norway and Spain are doing right? (If the figures are accurate)

Of course, these figures pale beside the deaths of children from other causes in the undeveloped world - but this is a frightening figure (and one I suspect is an UNDER representation)

In my state - South Australia - there is discussion about removing priest (confessional) and lawyer/client confidentiality in cases of child abuse - (most professionals are mandated notifiers) and increasing the reach of mandated notification to include volunteers fulfilling various functions. Sad thing is, the infrastructure for DOING anything about notifications is appalling.

Once again, I wonder what factors are at work in the countries which seem to have low rates?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,306 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Letty

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 12:58 pm
Hey, Deb.
This is a disturbing article. Children have been and always will be sacred to me. This is just a guess, but I wonder if the countries mentioned keep certain things from public notice. I know that the United States has become very open about child abuse, thus we know more about the things that use to be within the domain of the family.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:15 pm
Obviously, abused children come from stressed families. Perhaps the countries with less child abuse have some cultural factors which absorb stress?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:45 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Obviously, abused children come from stressed families. Perhaps the countries with less child abuse have some cultural factors which absorb stress?

I wonder what cultural factors would put Spain in one end of the spectrum and Portugal on the other.

I believe it is more about openness of an ugly truth.

In Spain, they are very open in the media about battered and abused wives. In Mexico, the media has put stress on children abuse.

My guess is grim: there is more child abuse in Spain than reported, and there are many more battered and abused wives in Mexico than reported.

Perhaps the US is more violent than other countries, perhaps it is just more open about some of its defects.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:51 pm
fbaezer
I dunno - when I watch telemundo "Laura" OMG
that's got to be the equal or worse than some of our worst physical violence talkshows. Mostly women beating the crap out of other women and their husbands and girlfriends. Very shocking the first time I watched in July.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:59 pm
So much for civilization.
I don't know where canada falls on the radar but I know way too much of it happens here as well. Shocking really. We have all the advantages and still we have barbaric behavior.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:10 pm
Fbaezer - I wondered if that were the case - especially since such deaths can be passed off as other things. Even here, with excellent medical services, we are thinking that a number of SIDS deaths probably aren't - one woman has just been convicted of murdering her four babies, each in its turn - and neglected/abused children are far more prone to illness/accidents than their happier counterparts - (I am NOT saying that all kids who get ill a lot are neglected/abused by the way!)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 05:43 pm
Good lord, husker. "Laura en America" What crap!

Do you know that the host, Laura Bozzo, is now under house arrest in Lima, accused of acts of corruption with Vladimiro Montesinos, grey eminence of former Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori (both men also indicted for corruption)?

Deb, that's what I truly believe: there's are many case of women and child battering that never get into the statistics.
Only that as countries develop, such crimes become more difficult to hide.
I suspect you'll find a higher rate in liberal cities than in conservative rural areas, but not because there is more intrafamiliar violence.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 05:52 pm
I think this topic needs to cover the killings of babies in India and China. Probably not as prevalent in China any more, but still practiced in India. The 3,500 children in developed countries doesn't speak to the millions deliberately killed in India. More attention needs to be brought to the world community of these infant genocide.
0 Replies