Pelosi paid husband with PAC funds

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 06:05 am
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has directed nearly $100,000 from her political action committee to her husband's real estate and investment firm over the past decade, a practice of paying a spouse with political donations that she supported banning last year.

http://www.washtimes.com/news/2008/oct/01/pelosis-pac-pays-bills-for-spouses-firm/

This is another embarrassment for Democrats as they think those who make the rules do not have to follow them (see Charles Rangel).

Your government in action. folks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 907 • Replies: 6
No top replies

parados

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 07:35 am
@Woiyo9,
The story by the WashTimes isn't even consistent with the facts it reports

Quote:
Financial Leasing Services Inc. (FLS), owned by Paul F. Pelosi, has received $99,000 in rent, utilities and accounting fees from the speaker's "PAC to the Future" over the PAC's nine-year history

Paying a real estate firm for rent is not the same thing as hiring a spouse with no evidence of work performed. I would bet the offices are readily visible and can be checked to see if they exist.

If there is evidence that the rent payed is higher than normal rent for the area then there might be a story. Renting is NOT a story. It is an attempt to smear without any support.
Woiyo9

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 09:22 am
@parados,
What about utilities and accounting fees?

What about Bella Pelosi being a hypocrite?

You will blindly accept her as your House leader without question?

Back to the herd for you!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 09:28 am
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

What about utilities and accounting fees?

What about Bella Pelosi being a hypocrite?

You will blindly accept her as your House leader without question?

Back to the herd for you!

Translation: how dare you inject factual arguments into my attempt to smear someone, Parados!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 09:29 am
@Woiyo9,
You haven't rented much have you Woiyo?

I bet you will find that Pelosi also paid real estate taxes to the leasing company along with utilities and accounting fees. When you lease the utilities are sometimes part of the lease. Even you can't be that stupid Woiyo.

I never said I blindly accept her. I said there isn't much of a story there. But if you want to make up an argument so you can attack me for it. Go ahead. It seems to be the only thing you can do.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 09:39 am
Let's take a moment and do the math for what was paid.
$99,000 over 9 years. That works out to $11,000 a year or less than $1000 a month for rent and utilities and other fees associated with the leasing of a space.

At $2 a sq foot that means the PAC is renting 500 sq feet of office space. Downtown DC charges in the range of $4 a sq foot.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/19/AR2007081901340.html

I don't see much of a story there at all. This is not a congressperson paying their spouse $50,000-$100,000 for consulting with no evidence of anything. This is leasing of space at a rate that looks pretty reasonable unless you have evidence of what the space was.
Woiyo9

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 11:22 am
@parados,
Irrelevant. The act is inconsistent with her statements against such actions.

I know you do not care, but I expect our lawmakers to obey the law as well as follow their words.
0 Replies