Giant Rodent Found In South America!

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 04:18 am
The remains of a giant rodent, the size of a buffalo, which roamed South America eight million years ago, has just been discovered.

Anthropologists will be delighted to know that their smaller descendants are still alive today and can be located in two clusters. One in Washington, D.C., U.S.A. and the other in Westminster, London, U.K.
Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 824 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 05:19 am
I know we're insignificant internationally. but I wish people would remember there's a cluster in Canberra as well.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 05:55 am
Humble apologies! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 06:08 am
Yeah, but the ones in Washington are bigger, dumber, and a hell of a lot more dangerous than elsewhere.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 06:22 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Yeah, but the ones in Washington are bigger, dumber, and a hell of a lot more dangerous than elsewhere.

That's true.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 06:23 am
But the Canberra one remains popular!?!

Disgusts me what Australia is becoming. A bunch of idiots is putting it mildly.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 09:52 am
First, those are paleontologists not anthropologist. We do search for fossils but they gotta be a primate. The pertinent question in this case is are the populations found in the above mentioned places primate or rodentia. The first step is to get the classification correct.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 09:57 am
Heres an example of unique environmental adaptation and evolutionary "design response" to a subtropical swampland rich in vegetation. Since south America has only recently connected to the north American continent, there were relatively few "megafauna" in SA until Panama and the istmus connected the two lands. This plate tectonic event allowed the colonization of south america by big mammals in an area where the largest predators were actually birds. So thus came predation by more robust meat eating mega cats that roamed an almost untouched south (this is my opinion based on no real evidence ) but the demise of the giant fossil "Guinea pig" was probably an easy task , since I understand that they had fat little legs that didnt allow them to scurry back to their giant garage sized burrows. The articles Ive read said that they were routinely prey for giant crocs and (I presume) as Northern America megafauna migrated south , this guy was quite a snack.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 10:03 am
The only Eric Cartman sayings I can remember are

"Go into the kitchen, and get me some pie!"

and

"Screw you guys!"

But, getting back on-topic, he is probably related to that very rodent.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:25 pm
Im sorry I digressed. Rodent evolution is fascinating.

And I like Guy Lombardo records
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 08:04 pm
It's ironic that the icon for the dems is a donkey, 'cause the Shrub is the biggest jackass we've had in the White House since Warren Harding--and that's saying a lot. As for the rest of his crew, reptilian is the adjective that comes to my mind . . .
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 11:08 pm
Not to hack further on Baltimore (even if it is stunningly easy to do!), but there are some rats in the Harm City that could give that overfed guinea pig a run for its money!
0 Replies