Israel asked US to allow it to bomb Iran's nuclear sites

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:51 am
Israel asked US for green light to bomb nuclear sites in Iran
US president told Israeli prime minister he would not back attack on Iran, senior European diplomatic sources tell Guardian

Quote:
Israel gave serious thought this spring to launching a military strike on Iran's nuclear sites but was told by President George W Bush that he would not support it and did not expect to revise that view for the rest of his presidency, senior European diplomatic sources have told the Guardian.

The then prime minister, Ehud Olmert, used the occasion of Bush's trip to Israel for the 60th anniversary of the state's founding to raise the issue in a one-on-one meeting on May 14, the sources said. "He took it [the refusal of a US green light] as where they were at the moment, and that the US position was unlikely to change as long as Bush was in office", they added.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,669 • Replies: 13

farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:45 am
Uhlmert was really jusat trying to exercise its own version of the "Bush Doctrine".
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:37 am
@farmerman,
Yup, that means the option is still open.
JTT

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:58 am
@cicerone imposter,
I don't think that Russia would look very kindly on such a scenario. Nor would Iran. Could cause quite a kerfuffle.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 12:32 pm
I guess this puts to rest the claim by some on A2K that Bush would support such an attack.

Will those people admit they were wrong now?
I doubt it.
JTT

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 12:37 pm
@mysteryman,
Appropriate avatar, MM.
mysteryman

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 12:48 pm
@JTT,
Thanks.
Its your drivers license picture so you should appreciate it.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 01:26 pm
@mysteryman,
Who are you referring to with your weasel words?
mysteryman

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 01:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Every single person on here that ever said that Bush would allow Israel to attack Iran.
And without searching thru every post, I cant name names, but those people know who they are.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 01:43 am
Bush might not be willing to give the "green light," but what about McCain and Palin? Harbingers of a McCain Administration:

McCain--sings about bombing Iran.

Palin--Interview with Gibson (ABC):

GIBSON: What if Israel decided it felt threatened and needed to take out the Iranian nuclear facilities?

PALIN: Well, first, we are friends with Israel and I don’t think that we should second guess the measures that Israel has to take to defend themselves and for their security.

GIBSON: So if we wouldn’t second guess it and they decided they needed to do it because Iran was an existential threat, we would cooperative or agree with that.

PALIN: I don’t think we can second guess what Israel has to do to secure its nation.

GIBSON: So if it felt necessary, if it felt the need to defend itself by taking out Iranian nuclear facilities, that would be all right.

PALIN: We cannot second guess the steps that Israel has to take to defend itself.

Palin--Interview with Couric (CBS):

“We shouldn't second guess Israel's security efforts because we cannot ever afford to send a message that we would allow a second Holocaust, for one,” she said. “Israel has got to have the opportunity and the ability to protect itself. They are our closest ally in the Mideast. We need them. They need us. And we shouldn't second guess their efforts.”

“We don't have to second-guess what their efforts would be if they believe … that it is in their country and their allies, including us, all of our best interests to fight against a regime, especially Iran, who would seek to wipe them off the face of the earth,” said Palin. “It is obvious to me who the good guys are in this one and who the bad guys are.”

McCain at the debate:

"My reading of the threat from Iran is that if Iran acquires nuclear weapons, it is an existential threat to the State of Israel and to other countries in the region because the other countries in the region will feel compelling requirement to acquire nuclear weapons as well. Now we cannot [allow] a second Holocaust."

0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 02:11 am
@Robert Gentel,
I don't know who MM is referring to; but I know Joe(who'll be buying OCCOM BILL a nice dinner next time I'm in the big city)Nation was so convinced it would happen he wagered dinner over it... and the deadline expired long enough ago I almost forgot. He most certainly was not alone in not only believing Bush would approve… but that it would happen. I’ll give you more names when the search feature is up and running again.
SYNRON

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 12:47 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Well, an honest post by Occom Bill, Finn was right. Anyone who pins down the scumbag named Joe Nation( what pomposity to carry a name like that) can't be all bad.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 01:23 am
@SYNRON,
It was a friendly bet with a cool guy, troll. You'd probably be surprised at how many of my posts you'd like... but I suspect I may never like any of yours. Of course, I usually won't see them, either.
SYNRON

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 06:53 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Ocome Bill, Is that nice? I have read Joe Nation and the kindest thing I can say about him is that he is a pompous scumbag. Only a puffed up pompous birdbrain would label himself -Joe NATION, As for you, I think you are slowing up,Ocome Bill, You wrote that Kim( N.Korea) was dead. Look again. Just one of your many errors. But, of course, you are such a blowhard, you wouldn't know one of your errors if it hit you in the derriere!
0 Replies