Obama's Leftism

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:01 pm

Obama's Leftism
Quote:
In sum, Obama comes to us from a background farther to the Left than any presidential nominee since George McGovern, or perhaps ever. This makes him an extremely unlikely leader to bridge the divides of party, ideology, or, for that matter, race. If he loses, it will be for that reason (though many will no doubt adduce different explanations, including of course white racism, to which every GOP victory since Nixon’s election in 1968 has been attributed).

And if he wins? Without a doubt, it will be a thrilling moment. But the enduring importance of that landmark event will depend on the subsequent effectiveness of his presidency. If his tenure"like that of, say, Richard Nixon or Jimmy Carter"should end by inviting scorn, then it may open as many wounds as it heals. On the other hand, it is not unimaginable that he may rise to the challenge of the office and govern from the center, as he will have to do to succeed. This, however, would truly involve reinventing himself, a task for which his intellectual and ideological background furnishes few materials.

With his sharply partisan speech to the Democratic national convention in late August, Obama appeared to zag to the Left after months of zigging toward the center in hopes of winning over independent voters, which had stirred cries of alarm among some of his leftist supporters. Others among them, however, were and are nothing fazed. As the Nation’s Robert Dreyfuss explained, they “put their faith in the Senator’s character and innate instincts.” Heaven help us, they are probably right.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,621 • Replies: 8
No top replies

engineer

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:14 pm
@McGentrix,
If I read this article correctly, Obama is an extreme lefty because a) he has a lefty background and b) because he voted with the Democrats on just about all issues. But what about the legislation he championed? Protection for Veterans' benefits? Bills to secure waste nuclear material? Protection from false confessions (Ill. state senate)? These aren't partisan bills. In fact, I think a lot of Republicans would love to say they sponsored them.

An even handed but critical review of Obama's record would say that he is more pragmatic than liberal. Saying he must be a lefty's leftist because he was exposed to other cultures and religions in his youth seems to be a silly argument when there is so much more to look at.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:39 pm
@McGentrix,
I gave this post a thumbs up, not because I agree with it, but because I don't agree that these things should be voted down like that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:47 pm
An increasing number of Americans are "lefties" (by McGentrix's definition).

This says nothing about Obama. The stories are that as the right becomes more and more out of touch, everyone becomes a lefty.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:16 pm
@McGentrix,
Nothing there to disagree with. I sorta have the big question in my mind too; how effect will Obama be with his meme on change.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 01:23 pm
You're still talking about putting that Chicago political machine in charge of the country. THAT would be bad whether Obama was left, right, or whatever else.

Gangsterism doesn't depend on ideology....
Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 03:48 pm
@McGentrix,
None of the observers around the globe have a drop of tear to shead for the future killer of the poverty stricken world.
CHANGE HOPE is far far away from USA
gungasnake

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 04:24 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Quote:
None of the observers around the globe have a drop of tear to shead for the future killer of the poverty stricken world.
CHANGE HOPE is far far away from USA

And hen-doo still means "chicken ****" in English...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 04:47 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

You're still talking about putting that Chicago political machine in charge of the country. THAT would be bad whether Obama was left, right, or whatever else.

Gangsterism doesn't depend on ideology....

guess bushy and the rest of the texas mafia didn't get that memo.
0 Replies