Help! Need Info on Solar Panels

Wed 24 Sep, 2008 06:31 pm
I have a villa in St. Thomas that I have recently renovated and my electric bills have gone crazy! I have rented out a studio apartment and I am looking to rent out the rest of the place but my electric bills are running me $700 monthly for one tenant. I am part of an association and cannot utilize wind energy, but think that putting up solar panels could help immensly. I just do not know where to start, almost too much information on the web. If anyone has personal experience or knowledge about utilizing solar energy you would be my hero.

Thanks,

Islandgirl
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,095 • Replies: 9
Topic Closed
No top replies

JTT

Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:55 pm
@islandgirl,
Island girl
What you wantin' with the white man's world
Island girl
Black boy want you in his island world
He want to save you from the power company
He want to save you but the cause is lost
Island girl, island girl, island girl
Tell me what you wantin' with the white man's world

NickFun

Wed 24 Sep, 2008 11:25 pm
@islandgirl,
I think what JTT is saying is that he's having trouble feeling sorry for a woman with a renovated villa in St Thomas. I could be wrong.

In any case, I used Solar Choice Solutions in Calabasas, CA to install my solar panels. During the day my electric meter runs backwards as I am putting energy into the grid. However, it may take years for it to pay for itself.
kuvasz

Thu 25 Sep, 2008 12:47 am
fyi

how much does electricity cost?

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cost.html

adding solar panels

http://www.evo.com/content/2936/solar_basics_-_is_solar_power_a_good_investment

For an average family home, the stats are:

KW Hours Per Year 12,000
KW Hours per month 1,000
KW Hours per day 33.
Power station Kw Required 6 KW per hour.
Cost per KW installed $5,500
Cost of Solar Power Station $33,000
Solar Energy Grants $15,000
Net Cost 18,000.00
Let's say...

You borrow $18,000 at an average interest rate of 6.00%
Repayment per Month 107.92
Ave Cost Per KW Hour 0.11
Yearly Price Increase 6.00%
Inflation Rate 3.00%
Here is how it adds up:

In the First Year your new power station is saving you $110 a month in electricity.
1000 KW hours * 11c = $110
You are paying 107.92 in interest.
So your 1000 kw hours actually costing 2.08 less a month
By year 10 you are saving $77 a month or $935 a year
Over the 30 life years you actually save $65,000 in power bills or $34,000 in today's money from your power station on top of paying back the $18,000 plus the interest it cost you. '' In other states rebates are not as large but is possible to make savings in less than 2 to 5 years.''

This example was provided on Squidoo - Facts About Solar Energy
islandgirl

Thu 25 Sep, 2008 08:33 am
@JTT,
"Renovating a villa in STT" Maybe that sounded a little too romantic. I was trying to be simple, direct and to the point.

Basically I bought a sh#thole at bargain basement prices. I live and work in the islands and wanted to have my own place. Now I'm just trying to figure out the best way to keep my dream alive financially.

JTT you are too funny, I'm also an Elton John fan.
0 Replies

JTT

Thu 25 Sep, 2008 08:46 pm
@NickFun,
Quote:
NickFun:

I think what JTT is saying is that he's having trouble feeling sorry for a woman with a renovated villa in St Thomas. I could be wrong.

You are, Nick, wrong, that is, but no harm done. I was just havin' a wee bit o' fun.
NickFun

Thu 25 Sep, 2008 09:02 pm
@JTT,
Wee away JTT! I would also love a villa in St Thomas. Even a shithole would be nice. If I do get a villa like that I would want an island girl around all the time. Preferably naked.
0 Replies

islandgirl

Fri 26 Sep, 2008 06:04 pm
@kuvasz,
Thanks for your information. You sound well informed. I'm running some numbers based on your information.

Here is a new problem that has recently been uncovered. They have plugged a 120 meter into my 240 service, which effectively makes my meter spin twice as fast. At least that's what I've been told by an electrician on island and another in Chicago. I'd love to hear input on this.

kuvasz, my kilowat per hour is .49 per kilowatt hour. I still do not find it reasonable that my first renters, a husband and wife who work by day and shut down the air and all lights (they are responsible for 25% of the electric bill), with the other three units not occupied unless I am in residence that the bill still runs over $700 monthly (remember I still pay 75% of the bill )because the rest of my units are empty, what will my bills be at full occupancy? I thought that I would do mixed use of full time and vacationers but I think that dream is dashed.

So basically I am using your formula times four. I've already searched the web extensively and appreciate your findings. What I was also looking for were people who have actually installed and used these products and their reviews on them. Still a little stumped and hoping for the expert advice on this board.

Again thank you for the time and consideration that you put in advising me of a formula to work through a financial delema of mine.

Especially you kuvasz.

My first name is Molly, born Irish Catholic int the Midwest.
kuvasz

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:57 am
@islandgirl,
molly, i had posted the info to you earlier on the following linked thread, the only other a2ker who has done anything akin to what you are looking for is named "fishing" who also posted on the linked thread, go there and perhaps you can glean what you need,

http://able2know.org/topic/119526-1

i posted on page 5 of that thread

and welcome to the monkey house!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Tue 7 Oct, 2008 11:56 am
Getting Help In Calculating Costs For Solar Panels On Your Rooftop

Calculating costs for solar panels on your rooftop is difficult. But you can get help.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=879731908

That is a video about this site that helps you calculate what you need:

http://roofray.com/
0 Replies