Embarrassing and Upsetting Senior Moments

JLNobody

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 10:14 pm
@OGIONIK,
Yes, it's weird all right. But I see that I do not lose information; I just can't always retrieve it when I need it. Later, it pops into consciousness when I don't need it.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 01:53 pm
@JLNobody,
Yes, I have that too. My brain cells are sometimes covered in dust and
by the time I find the needed information and the dust has settled, it's too late.

My current update: I forget words in English and it drives me crazy. Pretty
soon I'm doing the baby talk...
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 04:03 pm
@CalamityJane,
methinks we should be forming a club ... ...
but once we form a club , we may not remember its name - or our own names ...

WELCOME ALL SENIORS !

( remember , i had to change my name from HAMBURGER to HAMBURGBOY 'cause i forgot my original sign-in Rolling Eyes )
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 05:01 pm
We played Left, Right, Center the other night.
I was stressed out because I kept forgetting which was L or R.
(But perhaps it was because of the 3 Mike's Lemonade I drank)
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 05:07 pm
@sullyfish6,
someone has been reading our posts !

right below your post is an ad :

IMPROVE YOUR BRAIN - NEW WAYS TO HELP ! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 05:22 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Yes, it's weird all right. But I see that I do not lose information; I just can't always retrieve it when I need it. Later, it pops into consciousness when I don't need it.

This happens quite a bit for me lately. One of the women I work with is always asking me "what was the book where ...?", "who did the you know when ...?"

I'll know what she's talking about, can't think of the name at the time - then on the way home on the subway *** flash ***, there's the info. The trick is remembering long enough to tell her the next day. She's never beat me to it yet (and she's a bit younger than I am).

Our brains are leaky or somethin'
NickFun

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 05:55 pm
@ehBeth,
My brain is still as sharp as...something. I'll get back to you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 06:23 pm
Lists. I now need lots of lists to remind me of What Needs Doing.
Then I forget to take the shopping list with me, when I go.
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 06:26 pm
@msolga,
sure , i have lists ... either to be ignored or misplaced Shocked
msolga

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 06:50 pm
@hamburgboy,
I know, hamburger. Wink

The worst thing is finding them again & seeing all the things you meant to do!
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 04:26 pm
@msolga,
msolga :

remember to NEVER to postpone anything for a day .
postpone it for three months ... likely it either has been done by someone else or it is no longer of importance ( let's hope so Wink )
0 Replies

Joseph Dabon

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 08:55 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
It happens to everybody. Even I who is a freelance writer have to grope for words otherwise familiar to me. No need to worry about that until you become speechless.
0 Replies

Joseph Dabon

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 08:56 pm
@McGentrix,
Have you tried consulting your doctor? You may be experiencing the onset of dementia.
0 Replies

Joseph Dabon

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 08:58 pm
@CalamityJane,
I thought you would say, "I can't remember where the gas station is."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 09:52 pm
As a child of my mother with relatively early alzheimer's, probably age 65, this has been part of various frights (I've eye frights too). Also, I've got a passel of aunts on my mother's side that were institutionalized in Boston (Metropolitan). I don't know my father's side very well, but his father was a probable scoundrel with issues, also institutionalized. Do you see where this is going? I lost my mother and father in messy horrifying ways in the late sixties and seventies. I don't think about them all the time, all these years later, but I do think and rethink and remember. (I'm 72 now, paying attention) They were both dear, and very different and I sure wish we could talk.

Meantime, after a quite active life, I now have an oddly spare life, re social opportunity in my present home town, not least because of the transportation system I didn't understand is not here.

Since I've been here, now about eight, geez, eight years, I no longer remember all my plant names..
and I knew the latin names of a thousand plants, at the least.

As others have said, I can dig them up. I avoid googleing, right away (how I like to spell that). It is as if I need to get to a more buried layer, and do, in a while. Snap. Of course. There was just that space where I couldn't just say it.

But the new thing now is I'm missing some occasional names of stuff I want to refer to. Gaah. But they too rise up through the morass, so far. A notch down in performance. I've a fairly good english vocabulary but now there are some blotches.

On the other hand - when I first started my landscape architecture classes, I was about to turn forty. Then four years of a lot of stuff. I was pretty good at it, already knew and wasn't afraid of how to draw. Conversant with the teachers, kept doing well, but that was just the start, as site design and grading and urban planning and names of plants and a lot else re the land would come into it.

I remember even then that I simply could not remember the name of a beautiful tree on Motor Avenue.
I did learn plant names to some extent from my seeing then in place, or photos like that.

I do know it now since I've looked it up multiple times over the years, but I had an original memory block. It's Calodendren capense. There, go look.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/46365/#b

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:45 pm
Anyway, I have not remembered that many times.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2017 06:58 am
I met my husband at work. My boss was a good friend of his. Over the years , we have spoken fondly of this man many, many times.

RIGHT NOW, I CAN'T REMEMBER HIS NAME!!! Crying or Very sad
Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2017 07:31 am
@Phoenix32890,
Don't worry Phoenix, as it will soon rise from the ashes.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2017 09:32 am
@Phoenix32890,
Just normal - with all the daily added information, some of old kind of falls down to the bottom. As a rule it does back again.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2017 02:24 pm
lately I've been using the nearest word I can think of when I forget a word. A friend was visiting and dropped something. It rolled under the sofa, however I for some reason said it had rolled under the he sink.