McCain Rains on the PM of Spain

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 10:16 am
Quote:
Embarrassing

Well, we've heard the interview now. And John McCain either doesn't know who the Prime Minister of Spain is, thinks Spain is a country in Latin America, or possibly both.

In case, you haven't seen our updates from last night, yesterday John McCain was interviewed on the Florida affiliate of Spanish radio network Union Radio. And in the interview McCain appeared not to know who the Prime Minister of Spain was and assumed he was some anti-American leftist leader from South America.

After the interviewer presses him a couple times on the point and tries to focus him on the fact that Prime Minister Zapatero isn't from Mexico and isn't a drug lord either McCain comes back at her saying, "All I can tell you is that I have a clear record of working with leaders in the Hemisphere that are friends with us and standing up to those who are not. And that's judged on the basis of the importance of our relationship with Latin America and the entire region."

Then there's a moment of awkward pause before she says. "But what about Europe? I'm talking about the President of Spain."

McCain: "What about me, what?

Interviewer: "Are you willing to meet with him if you're elected president?"

McCain: "I am wiling to meet with any leader who is dedicated to the same principles and philosophy that we are for humans rights, democracy and freedom. And I will stand up to those who do not."

At this point, the interviewer gets tongue-tied presumably because she can't get over McCain not knowing what Spain is.

--Josh Marshall

Here's a link to the interview in English -

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/217792.php

Today, McCain's camp is furiously spinning his confusion and embarrassment.

Quote:
The confrontation resulted in mega-headlines around the Spanish speaking world and pitted Chavez, Castro and others against the Spaniards.

So, was McCain purposely trying to diss the Spanish leader? Questions about whether McCain forgot which country Zapatero leads, got confused about Spain's geographic relationship to Latin America, or confused Zapatero with the Zapatista rebels from Mexico have exploded on blogs since reports of the interview first surfaced.

McCain foreign policy adviser Randy Sheunemann said McCain's answer was intentional.

"The questioner asked several times about Senator McCain's willingness to meet Zapatero (and id'd him in the question so there is no doubt Senator McCain knew exactly to whom the question referred). Senator McCain refused to commit to a White House meeting with President Zapatero in this interview," he said in an e-mail

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/18/mccain_slights_spanish_prime_m.html

Insulting the PM of Spain? Getting confused in the middle of an interview about basic world facts? And then having your campaign insist that you WEREN'T confused, and intentionally chose to insult Spain?

Not a good week for McCain, to say the least
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,971 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 10:51 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
McCain's Spain-Gaffe Interviewer: McCain Not Confused, Just Ducking Question
By Greg Sargent - September 18, 2008, 12:10PM

I just got off the phone with the Miami reporter who interviewed John McCain and elicited the Spain-goof answer that we've been writing about on the front page of TPM -- an interview in which McCain appeared to grow confused about who his interviewer was talking about.

She tells me she doesn't believe that McCain didn't know who Prime Minister Zapatero is or where Spain was. Instead, she believes that McCain was deliberately ducking the question of whether he'd meet with the Spanish Prime Minister.

"I didn't get the impression that he didn't know who Zapatero was or where Spain was," the reporter, Yoli Cuello, told me. "Honestly, what I thought was that he didn't want to answer the question with a yes or no answer."

(You can listen to the interview here. To recap: When asked to discuss relations with Spain and whether he would meet with Zapatero, McCain at first segued into a discussion of Latin America. When the reporter repeated Zapatero's name, McCain again talked about Latin America. And when the reporter stressed that she was talking about Spain, McCain wouldn't say whether he'd meet with the Spanish leader.)

Pressed on why McCain would keep seguing into a discussion of Latin America if he knew who she was talking about, Cuello said: "I think because I was talking with him before about Latin America. He was not giving me a straight answer. I wasn't expecting a straight answer."

Asked why she thought McCain would duck the question, she said: "The policies regarding Iraq. Because he's a Republican. The [Bush] administration doesn't have good relations with Zapatero."

A quick word on this. There is a way of interpreting what happened while allowing that McCain did know who Zapatero was. What could have happened is that on the first hearing of the question, he simply ducked it by returning to Latin America, as Cuello says.

Then, on the second hearing, where she repeated the name Zapatero without repeating "Spain," he didn't hear the name properly or was unable to track it back to the first mention of him. So he talked about Latin America again. Then on the third asking, when she stressed she was talking about Spain, McCain refused to answer because he genuinely doesn't want to commit to meeting with this particular NATO ally.

This interpretation isn't great for McCain, though, because it means on the second asking he hadn't tracked the question and answered it by winging it even though he didn't know who she'd asked about. And this isn't even getting into the foreign policy implications of his answer.

Any other interpretation, of course, is worse.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/mccains_spaingaffe_interviewer.php

It doesn't look like there's much good coming out of this situation for McCain.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 11:00 am
@Cycloptichorn,
The story gets even more delicious. 5 months ago, McCain told the same paper that he'd be HAPPY to meet with Zapatero.

It's quickly becoming evident that the old man got confused - once again.

Cycloptichron
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 11:18 am
@Cycloptichorn,
That was on all Spanish media today.

Meanwhile, the Spanish government said that htere's some 'logic' in McCain's response .... since it was election time.
And that they want to keep good relations with the White House after the next election, whoever might be in there.

Source: Europa press (Spain)
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 01:29 pm
okayyyyy....

so a vote for mccain really is a vote for president palin.

country first. guess the only thing that sign is good for is wiping your...uh,....nose.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 01:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichron

I don't know, that just struck me as funny.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 02:30 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichron

I don't know, that just struck me as funny.

Yeah, I do that a lot. It's a good example of a young man getting confused Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 02:53 pm
geze louise, I thought everyone knew spain along with portugal make up the Siberian peninsula (some people can see spain from their house in alaska)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 03:00 pm
@dyslexia,
That's just on the other side of the border fence, where you get the cheap gas and tequila, right?
0 Replies