Records show McCain more bipartisan

Woiyo9

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 01:02 pm
ANALYSIS:

Sen. John McCain's record of working with Democrats easily outstrips Sen. Barack Obama's efforts with Republicans, according to an analysis by The Washington Times of their legislative records.

Whether looking at bills they have led on or bills they have signed onto, Mr. McCain has reached across the aisle far more frequently and with more members than Mr. Obama since the latter came to the Senate in 2005.

In fact, by several measures, Mr. McCain has been more likely to team up with Democrats than with members of his own party. Democrats made up 55 percent of his political partners over the last two Congresses, including on the tough issues of campaign finance and global warming. For Mr. Obama, Republicans were only 13 percent of his co-sponsors during his time in the Senate, and he had his biggest bipartisan successes on noncontroversial measures, such as issuing a postage stamp in honor of civil rights icon Rosa Parks.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/sep/15/records-show-mccain-more-bipartisan/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,264 • Replies: 4
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 01:12 pm
@Woiyo9,
That sounds about right.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 01:34 pm
Eight or four years ago, that would have swayed me to McCain's side. I voted for him over Bush in 2000. But his recent record and his positions on the campaign trail are not ones that will garner bipartisan support.
Woiyo9

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 01:36 pm
@engineer,
Why? Many democrats are not excited about their candidates. Many in the Senate know John McCain and are comfortable working with him, especially Joe Biden.
engineer

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 01:53 pm
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

Why? Many democrats are not excited about their candidates. Many in the Senate know John McCain and are comfortable working with him, especially Joe Biden.

Sure, the McCain of four years ago. That's the same guy who opposed the Bush tax cuts because cutting taxes in war time is lunacy. (I agree with that position.) The McCain of just a couple of years ago was working on immigration reform and hammered out a plan that punished illegal immigrants but also left room for those seeking citizenship. (I thought that was a good compromise.) The McCain of a few months ago wanted to run a clean campaign that did not resort to the kind of politics that was used against him eight years ago. But that McCain is gone. Too bad.
0 Replies