What John McCain says to Hispanic voters

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 08:31 pm
I pay attention to Spanish media... as well as American media. The message McCain gives to the Spanish media is very interesting. These excerpts are from an interview McCain gave to Univision (one of the two most popular Spanish networks in the US).

John McCain wrote:

So, I cherish Spanish language, our heritage, our culture, our food, everything about our Hispanic culture and that is what I want our party and Americans to do. You know, let's have a little straight talk, has our party has been damaged because some of the language that has been used? Yes, but look, I am the guy that took on the issue of immigration reform when it wasn't popular in my party to do so, at least in certain elements of it.I'll enact comprehensive immigration reform, we'll sit down together with democrats, and we'll get it done, but we got to secure our borders, not only because of illegal immigration, but because of drugs.

It is interesting I haven't heard this on any English speaking networks.

Quote:

(Inteviewers question: -Senator, the last time we talk, you told us that it would take a year or two to secure the border, and then you said we can address the other part of it. Would that include massive legalization for millions of undocumented immigrants in this country?)

I think it means that we go through a step by step process of allowing people to apply and achieve citizenship in this country, of course. But, I want to point out again; it's a little more complicated.

So, we can together, republicans and democrats, work out this issue, provide a path to citizenship, on the principle that they do not take any priority over anyone who came to this country legally, or waited legally. And, of course they should pay a fine, because they acted illegally. But, our heritage, the heritage of this country, is people who have come to this country for a better life, and as I said at the Convention, these are God's children and it will be done in a humane and compassionate fashion.

Again this is markedly different than the message he gives to other networks lately, although it is similar to what he said in the past.

Quote:

Interviewers question:Senator Barack Obama told us in an interview that he would present a comprehensive immigration reform to congress during the first year. Could you match that?

-Sure, I would do it in the first day, but I was the one who led, I was the one who led with Senator (Ted) Kennedy, a great political risk to myself. Senator Obama tried to kill it, because he was doing what the unions wanted. The unions in America do not want a temporary worker program, so Senator Obama came to the floor and had an amendment that would have basically killed immigration reform, because it was a fragile coalition between republicans and democrats. So, don't let Senator Obama get away with saying that he supports comprehensive reform, when he tried to kill it.

Funny that he doesn't give anti-amnesty conservatives credit for killing the bill... giving it instead at the feet of liberals.

------------------

So there you have it. This John McCain will start working enact comprehensive immigration reform on the first day-- and he blames the failure of his previous attempts on Obama.

Is it just me? or does this sound quite different from what he has been saying to white people?

I can't wait to hear what he has to say in the debates.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,296 • Replies: 2
No top replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:12 am
@ebrown p,
Thanks for pointing this out, Ebrown. Interestingly, this is the McCain that I would like to see as President... and can't help but wonder if he's still in there beneath all the need to get elected first stuff.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:28 am
@ebrown p,
I've been following these ads as well and they are interestingly different from the mainstream platform.

Radio ad advocating the free trade agreement with Colombia.
0 Replies