Who would you prefer, Bush or McCain?

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 11:07 pm
I remember when there were a lot of people here who self-identified as ABB folk. That is, Anyone But Bush. I've watched as they seem to have morphed into ABM folk (Anyone But McCain) and suspect that they were ABR folk (Anyone But Republicans) all along.

Campaign rhetoric aside, what do you think of them respectively? If you had to pick between Bush for 4 more years or McCain which would you pick? I know it's become a meme to portray McCain as more of the same, but putting aside all that rhetoric you must lean slightly one way or the other and if you had to pick one of the two to be the next president who would it be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,005 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 11:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
McCain fer crissake.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 11:27 pm
Either without Rove.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 11:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
McCaine is not as much of a known quantity.
I never liked the Bushes; when Reagan selected Bush,
I said it was a mistake. I am a Goldwater Republican.
Neither Bush Sr nor Jr cares much for the Originalist pro-freedom filosofy.
Goldwater = Conservative Originalism = personal freedom
= government is only a little sparrow fart in the background of life.

Unhappily, I 'd vote for Bush again against McCain.

I 'd rather vote for Governor Sarah Palin for President.

David
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 07:39 am
@Robert Gentel,
Isent this a would you rather cut your neck with a sharp knife or a dull knife type question?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 08:20 am
@Robert Gentel,
I never beat my wife in the first place Mr. Smart. Wink
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 09:21 am
@Robert Gentel,
Your question can't be answered because it would take a constitutional amendment to provide a possible third term for George W. Bush.

Perhaps a different question could be: would you vote for such a constitutional amendment to void the 22nd amendment:

“ Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.
Section 2. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress.

0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 09:26 am
@Robert Gentel,
McCain.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 10:16 am
I have never shot myself in the foot, and I'm not going to start now.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:28 am
@Robert Gentel,
As long as we're doing theoritical presidential desires, here is my list (with some additions).

B. Clinton
H. Clinton
Gore
Kerry
McCain
Obama
Bush 41
Bush 43
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
This is really a very tough question. Six months ago, McCain was the obvious choice of the two. I'd even go further to say that McCain was clearly the best pick in the Republican primaries. Since then, McCain has sold his integrity for some electoral votes and Bush has moved towards Obama's positions in negotiating with Iran and expressing a willingness to end our involvement in Iraq although it may be a few years still. It seems this newly humble Bush is finally getting the message that some of his policies are not viewed by the US public or the world at large as beneficial while McCain is morphing into a more extreme version of Bush.

Today, I'd have to pick Bush.
0 Replies