Sarah Palin and Christian Dominionist Theocracy

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 08:04 pm
By Chip Berlet Tue Sep 02, 2008
Senior Analyst,
Political Research Associates (author info)
Given Sarah Palin's rather doctrinaire approach to conservative libertarian Christian evangelicalism, her political flirtation with the secessionist Alaska Independence Party (AIP) is hardly surprising, but the AIP's ties to the U.S. Constitution Party raise some creepy issues. It is not fair to suggest that Palin agrees with all of the political positions of the AIP or Constitution Party. It is fair to ask with what policies she does or does not agree. It is already clear that on the issue of the "Sanctity of Life," Palin and the theocratic Consititution Party are on the same Dominionist page.

The AIP has placed the candidate of the U.S. Constitution Party on the Presidential ballot in Alaska in the 2008 race. Let's be clear, the U.S. Constitution Party would impose a form of theocratic neofascism in the United States. And I am not a person who tosses the term fascism around lightly.

topic: John McCain

According to the Constitution Party:
"The mission of the Constitution Party is to secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity through the election, at all levels of government, of Constitution Party candidates who will uphold the principles of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States. It is our goal to limit the federal government to its delegated, enumerated, Constitutional functions and to restore American jurisprudence to its original Biblical common-law foundations."
The phrase "original Biblical common-law foundations" has a very specific meaning to the Constitution Party, as the Preamble to its Party Platform makes quite clear:

The Platform

Preamble

The Constitution Party gratefully acknowledges the blessing of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ as Creator, Preserver and Ruler of the Universe and of these United States. We hereby appeal to Him for mercy, aid, comfort, guidance and the protection of His Providence as we work to restore and preserve these United States.

This great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been and are afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here.

The goal of the Constitution Party is to restore American jurisprudence to its Biblical foundations and to limit the federal government to its Constitutional boundaries.
If you are unclear about what this means, read the book of Leviticus in the Bible. Biblical law as interpreted by these folks means the death penalty for homosexuals, adulterers, and recalcitrant children.

The Constitution Party has adopted the ideas of a militant form of Christian Dominionism known as Dominion Theology. Read more:

The Christian Right, Dominionism, and Theocracy by Chip Berlet

The founder of the Constitution Party (as the U.S. Taxpayers Party) is Howard Phillips. In a fundraising letter for the Dominionist group Chalcedon, Phillips wrote
"Even as the Twentieth Century, with its extraordinary record of evil, draws to a close, we see all around us signs of Christian reconstructionism--evidence of our belief that God's kingdom will be established on earth as it is in Heaven."
Here are some of the statements from the Constitution party Platform:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,257 • Replies: 12
No top replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 08:13 pm
http://www.constitutionparty.com/party_platform.php
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 08:49 pm
@blueflame1,
Hey, if the conservatives want Palin and McCain, and they win, that's what we deserve. Can't control stupid.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:15 pm
@blueflame1,
Quote:
It is not fair to suggest that Palin agrees with all of the political positions of the AIP or Constitution Party. It is fair to ask with what policies she does or does not agree.

So, do we have any credible information on which (if any) policies of the Constitution Party she agrees with?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:19 pm
@blueflame1,
Have any of you guys stopped to think about the likelihood of a lately-closet slammite like Oinkbama winning an election over Christians like McCain and Palin in a Christian country like the U.S.??
Xenoche

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 01:54 am
@gungasnake,
Your right, American voters are so intellectually shallow as to vote based solely on religiosity alone, policies be damned, that's why there's only 2 major parties, less to think about.

So apart from telling us in one sentence what you think of Americas average intelligence, what are the differences (in your mind) between Mccain and Obama that makes voting for either worthwhile?
gungasnake

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 07:12 am
@Xenoche,
Quote:
So apart from telling us in one sentence what you think of Americas average intelligence, what are the differences (in your mind) between Mccain and Obama that makes voting for either worthwhile?

Obama represents the Chicago political machine which is the closest thing in our modern world to Tammany Hall; it would be like having Boss Tweed for president. Bill Ayres would be AG, Jeremiah Wright would be Minister of Religion, Rezko - secretary of HUD, and on and on. It would be an unholy disaster for the year and a half or two years it lasted before CW-II broke out.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 09:37 am
Palin's actions do show a serious dominionist bent. "In her eight-minute remarks, delivered without notes except when she read a brief passage from the New Testament Book of Ephesians, she melded the issues of governance with a call to bringing Alaskans to God.

"What I need to do is strike a deal with you guys as you go out throughout Alaska -- I can do my part in doing things like working really, really hard to get a natural gas pipeline." Palin said. "Pray about that also. I think God's will has to be done, in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that. But I can do my job there, in developing our natural resources, and doing things like getting the roads paved, making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded.

"But really, all of that stuff doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's hearts isn't right with God. And that's going to be your job," she said. "As I'm doing my job, let's strike this deal. Your job is going to be: to be out there, reaching the people, (the) hurting people throughout Alaska, and we can work together to make sure God's will be done here."
http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/story/518522.html
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 09:52 am
@blueflame1,
Scary, isn't it? Palin thinks her thoughts and ideas are transmitted to her by god. What else will she do in the name of god? Her finger on the nuke button is scary.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 06:45 am
The truth.....

No Creationism in Schools
On Aug. 29, the Boston Globe reported that Palin was open to teaching creationism in public schools. That's true. She supports teaching creationism alongside evolution, though she has not actively pursued such a policy as governor.

In an Oct. 25, 2006, debate, when asked about teaching alternatives to evolution, Palin replied:

Palin, Oct. 25, 2006: Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both. And you know, I say this too as the daughter of a science teacher. Growing up with being so privileged and blessed to be given a lot of information on, on both sides of the subject " creationism and evolution. It's been a healthy foundation for me. But don't be afraid of information and let kids debate both sides.

A couple of days later, Palin amended that statement in an interview with the Anchorage Daily News, saying:

Palin, Oct. 2006: I don't think there should be a prohibition against debate if it comes up in class. It doesn't have to be part of the curriculum.

After her election, Palin let the matter drop. The Associated Press reported Sept 3: "Palin's children attend public schools and Palin has made no push to have creationism taught in them. ... It reflects a hands-off attitude toward mixing government and religion by most Alaskans." The article was headlined, "Palin has not pushed creation science as governor." It was written by Dan Joling, who reports from Anchorage and has covered Alaska for 30 years.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/157986/page/3
blueflame1

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 03:38 pm
@Woiyo9,
"Palin never explicitly says this. But she supports the teaching of creationism alongside evolution in the public schools. (She has not pushed to mandate it in Alaska.) "Teach both," she said in a 2006 gubernatorial debate. "You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools." Asked her own personal view, she said, "I believe we have a creator," but wouldn't elaborate. ' http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A263865
Woiyo9

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 10:54 am
@blueflame1,
So what is your point? You have a problem with teaching both? You have a problem teaching sex education to 5 year olds?

Probably, you just have a problem with successful women who are Governors and are somewhat conservative.
blueflame1

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 12:12 pm
@Woiyo9,
I have a problem teaching kids in public schools that the earth is 6 or 10 thousand years old. It isn't. The bigger problem is the whole Rapturite, bring back the Messiah through world war insanity that Palin and Bushie represent.
0 Replies