karen-B

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 07:57 am
my dog is a cross staffy and jack russell, she's 3, well behaved, tame, lovable etc. but as soon as she's on her own in the house, or we go to bed, she pee's, only ever in the same spot, when she has people with her, she'll ask to go outside for a pee. she hasn't yet been spay, we've tried everything, not letting her drink after 6/7pm, staying up late with her so she can pee outside later at night, leaving her outside longer, walking her later at night, she's really well behaved, but she pee's every day inside the house. she pee's outside before she goes to bed and i know she can hold her water as i've been inside with her all day and she hasnt gone out for a pee. i just dont know what to do! please any advce would be so appreciated!

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 08:34 am
@karen-B,
Hi karen-B. Welcome to Able2Know.

What is your dog's exercise schedule like? Where is her preferred peeing spot in the house?

As she can hold it, she's likely peeing inside to send you a message. Where she pees will be one of your clues.
karen-B

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 02:48 am
@ehBeth,
she pee's in the kitchen by the bin and in the living room by the tv, she gets walked before and after work, which varies as i work shifts. she's actually my brothers dog and he walks her as and when he can, but it usually falls to me. i know that jack russels have a rep for peeing, but i thought we'd be able to train her out of it.....................thank you so much for helpingme out here!!!
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 03:06 am
crate the dog at night. most dogs won't mess their crate. once you get up immediately take the dog outside. as a start, get up at 4am to let the dog outside, but get to leaving the dog in the crate for at least six hours at night.

i have taught all 6 of my kuvasz puppies to be house trained by crating them at night. now none will pee in the house.
karen-B

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 03:15 pm
@kuvasz,
we have tried that, and im up that early for work, but she pee's in it and yelps all night, we stuck it out for around 8 weeks, we even tried ignoring her in the night to try and get her out of doing it but she pee'd every night in it. i just dont know what ekse to try
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 03:46 pm
@karen-B,
How big is the kennel? It should ideally be small enough that she can basically just lay in it.

If I were in your shoes, I would get a new kennel, put her favorite bedding in it and give her water before kenneling her for a couple hours. I would then take her outside to pee. If she doesn't pee I'd let her have water (if she wants it) and put her back in. If I had time to be with her (not just in the same room but following her around like I would a toddler) I would watch and try to catch her peeing in the wrong place (boo!) or in the right place (yay!). If I can't be right there giving her my undivided attention it's back into the kennel. I would try to get her out to pee as often as I can, but she'd not have 1 unsupervised indoor second at any time of the day until she is trained.
0 Replies