my dog peeing in her bed

fifi

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 10:37 am
i have a 4 and a half month miniture jack russel and since we got her at ten weeks old she has been peeing in her bed and then sleeps there , ?? i thought dogs dont go were there beds are!!
does anyone know what i can do to stop this ,
also she does go out side when we bring her out , she waits at the back door to go out , but at night when she is in her bed she pees there , my head is melted washing her bed over and over

help !!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 24,597 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 10:41 am
@fifi,
She's still young. How often are you taking her out to go? Maybe that needs to happen more frequently.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 11:14 am
@fifi,
Look into crate training. I never had a dog pee inside if they were properly crate trained.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 12:43 pm
I've seen improper crate training teach dogs to pee in their beds.

If a dog is confined to a bed, and out of necessity has to pee in it and sit in the pee it reduces their instinct to avoid doing so.

I recommend you get rid of the bed (at least temporarily) and crate train the dog properly.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 01:58 pm
@fifi,
Poodles will never urinate in their beds unless they're mad at you ...

I think your dog may not like his/her bed. Have you thought of this?

Change the bed and use only newspapers. Then if the dog pees on the paper, just throw out the paper.
0 Replies

dancerdoll

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 08:08 pm
@fifi,
thats what my puppy does but i have like a dog bed that when they pee it doesnt leek threw
0 Replies

dancerdoll

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 08:08 pm
@fifi,
or put puppy pads in there
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 08:13 pm
@fifi,
Some questions:

Is your dog peeing the bed while awake or asleep?

Is your dog confined to the bed, or does she have other options available to her?

How long are you expecting your little 4 1/2 month old pup to hold her pee?

Does she pee anywhere else in the house?

How often does she pee during the day?

How much water does she drink?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 01:09 pm
@fifi,
You should also have her checked by a vet to make sure she does not have a bladder infection.

I've never used paper or pads, all my dogs where crate trained and learned in a short period of time to ask to go out. Paper and pads just teach them it's OK to go inside.
julieandTillie

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 08:41 am
@Green Witch,
I have the same problem. My dog pees in her bed and then sleeps in it. I read that if you make the area inside the cage smaller they will hold their pee because they will not want to sleep in it but that didn't work. We have jingle bells on all of our doors and she rings those to go outside so I hung jingle bells in her cage but she still doesn't ring them. if I put newspaper or puppy pads in there she shreds them to "make them more comfortable" I guess. I'm thinking about buying a bedwetting alarm that they use for children unless Somebody can give me a better idea. I have never read a book on crate training I thought you just put them in there and that was it. She willingly goes in there and she doesn't scratch or dig or chew to get out so I figured she was crate trained. When she was a puppy I would wake up at 3 or 4 am and take her out but I got tired of that and I've read dogs should be able to hold their pee for a whole work day which is about 10 hours with commute time. So I was hoping with time she would start holding it longer. I also started taking her water away after dinner in hopes that her bladder would be empty by the time we went to bed at 11pm. I have had the vet check her and take her blood to rule out any problems and it all came back clear. Anybody have any ideas?
0 Replies

wild-rose

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 02:41 am
@fifi,
Hi fifi,

I had the same problem with my little Maltese/Shih Tzu, as gross as this may sound your dog probably pees in it's bed to mark it's territory. I've tried washing it and straight away she gives me a dirty look and pees in it again.

I also have another dog and a kitten too, that always try and steal her bed, so I gave up washing it and since she peed in it last time, she hasn't done it since, so it was clearly a territorial thing.
0 Replies