Can you paint an old mat that was around a picture?

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:43 am
I want to replace some art work in frames that have beautiful mats. The mat color does not work with the art work I want to use. I would like to complete this little project without spending too much cash. Is it possible to paint the mats and reuse them? If so, is spray paint the way to go?

caribou

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:48 am
@oldkatie,
I think that if you want to change the color and are okay with the possiblity of screwing up the mats, then you have nothing to lose.

Yes, to spray paint. I'd apply it evenly and thinly. If the mat starts to curl, wait until it's dry. If it's still curled up when dry, try spraying the other side to flatten it.

Good luck!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 12:00 pm
@oldkatie,
Yep... tho if it is a thin card mat, do be careful. Nothing waterbased. Spray I would have thought would be the best and easiest....

possibly tho acrylics if the mat is thick enough and depending on whether it is textured at all.

Good luck with it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 12:15 pm
What kind of mat? Paper?
oldkatie

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 12:27 pm
@eoe,
I don't know but the original framed artwork was expensive so I guess the mats are of pretty good quality. I figure not ventured, not gained so I think I'll give it a shot.
eoe

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:48 pm
@oldkatie,
Yikes!
Good luck.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 04:26 pm
@oldkatie,
Personally, I'd consider using an acid free stock paper in the back, and acid free tabs, without a mat. And.. I'd save the old mat. An old mat can go with other old-seeming art.
Eva

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 04:35 pm
@oldkatie,
I'd think twice about doing this. You said the original artwork was expensive? If you paint the mat, what will keep the paint from adhering to the artwork over time?
oldkatie

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 07:05 pm
@ossobuco,
well, as it turns out I can get the mats off to begin with. Somehow or other they are adhered together. So, I'm just going to take mats and prints out and put new artwork in after having some new mats cut. Good to know that I could possibly paint the mats though.
0 Replies

oldkatie

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 07:07 pm
@Eva,
I wasn't planning on keeping the artwork at all. Although the prints were expensive they are not very attractive (to me at least, these were purchased by my husband years ago). However, now that I can't use the mats anyway, I will offer the prints and mats on Freecycle and maybe someone else will enjoy them.
Eva

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:48 pm
@oldkatie,
Good idea! I like that...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 09:09 am
@oldkatie,
Before painting the mat, I would telephone a art expert to learn what damage could occur due to acid.

An expert framer uses only acid-free materials to protect the painting.

BBB
0 Replies

Geneva Seeds

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 11:24 am
@oldkatie,
A friend did exactly what you are wanting to do. She reused the mat and frame for a pen and ink drawing. The original mat was cream colored. She used bronze/brown shoe polish on the mat. The end result of the bronze mat on pen and ink with black frame was gorgeous. I don't know about longevity.
0 Replies