The GOP's politicization of 9/11: offensive?

JTT

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:47 pm
@H2O MAN,
What was Cy's line:

"Guiliani, humpin 9-11 since 9-12."

"McCain, humpin his POW status since his release. Hello, I'm John POW McCain. Nice to meet you."
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 09:13 pm
@ebrown p,
First of all, Democrats are incapable of using 9/11 as either a focal point for their fundamental positions or as a crass partisan tool, so any attempt by them to lay claim to the high ground on this matter is specious.

There is virtually no aspect of 9/11 that they can contend resonates with their message, inspires their direction, or conforms with their world view.

I feel certain they would if they could (witness Katrina) but there is nothing about 9/11 they can exploit

If one contends that Islamic extremism is an existential threat to the West, and believes that US foreign and national security policy should reflect this fact, then invoking the images of 9/11 is not crass exploitation.

Do the Republicans, sometimes, attempt to "make the most" of these images? Probably yes. I feel fairly certain that there are those among the party's political strategists who are prepared to "milk" the images for partisan gain. Such instances are examples of cynical politics and certainly less than honorable, but it's silly to suggest that only Republicans have such cynical operatives, and it's deluded to suggest that any reference to 9/11 is political exploitation.

9/11 was defining moment for this country and many of its citizens. I am one among many who experienced a profound change of perspective after the tragic event.

I understand why Democrats would like to declare 9/11 off limits in political debate, but their desire is based on political interest, not propriety.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 10:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Very funny and irrelevant. The republicans continue to use it to justify our illegal preemptive attack on Iraq. Our enemy, those who attacked the twin towers, were from Saudi Arabia who happened to be living in Afghanistan.

Simple facts never seem to bother the conservatives; they use 9-11 as if it's their badge of honor. It's simply crass politics.
0 Replies