• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 898 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Wy

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 06:56 pm
@Bella Dea,
Never had one... Maybe cover the sprinkler heads against freezing? Protect any exposed piping (like from the tap to the beginning of the system), for sure. Other than that, I dono.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 06:59 pm
@Bella Dea,
Making sure there's no water in the system would be a good start.

Is the system above or below ground?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:15 pm
@Bella Dea,
They blow them dry or mostly dry with compressed air, BD.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:17 pm
Depending on the system. It should definitely be drained of all water. The system can be blown out with compressed air, however the manufactures instructions should be followed as it would depend on the size of the pipe and psi being used from the compressor to ensure that no damage is done to the pipes etc.
talk72000

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:17 pm
@Bella Dea,
Don't know if it is the proper way but you could add anti-freeze like the car windshield fluids. They can be good to -40 deg. F or C.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 11:12 am
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

Don't know if it is the proper way but you could add anti-freeze like the car windshield fluids. They can be good to -40 deg. F or C.

Then what? Shoot the anti freeze into the grass come time for watering? How do you propose to add the anti-freeze into the system?

Sorry, but not a good alternative to proper maintenance.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 12:25 pm
@Intrepid,
I don't think that the pressure is allowed to build up on these flushes, Intrepid, though I may be wrong. As I understand it the compressed air can be at any PSI because the system is not closed but open.

I've also heard that it isn't necessary to remove all the water, nor is it likely that that would happen. A small amount of water that freezes, cannot exert the pressure necessary to rupture the line.
0 Replies