sdejong

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:24 pm
I have received a quote for a product I want to import from China, however, I am confused about the FOB section of the quote. The company I am dealing with has typed the name of a port in China in the FOB section of the quote. I am in the US. What should I have the FOB changed to? If I give them my preference for the FOB does this mean that they will cover shipping costs up to the point of my preference of port of delivery? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,777 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:33 pm
@sdejong,
It sounds like their quote is FOB shipping, which means they are responsible for the product only up to the shipping point in China. FOB destination would mean they are responsible for the product till the destination port.

If you want it FOB destination, the quote will probably be different as they are very different logistic responsibilities.
0 Replies

clzlinzhi

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 01:16 am
@sdejong,
Free On Board (named port of shipment)
"Free on board " means that the seller delivers when the goods pass the ship's rail at the named port of shipment. This means that the buyer has to bear all costs and risks of loss of or damage to the goods from that point. The FOB term requires the seller to clear the goods for export.
CIF:
"Cost, insurance and freight " means that the seller delivers when the goods pass the ship's rail in the port of shipment. The seller must pay the costs and freight necessary to bring the goods to the named port of destination but the risk of loss of or damage to the goods, as well as any additional costs due to events occurring after the time of delivery, are transferred from the seller to the buyer. However, in CIF the seller also has to procure marine insurance against the buyer's risk of loss of or damage to the goods during the carriage.

The rate of FOB is different from CIF,chinese likes the FOB term,and you had better find the forwarder by yourself for your benifit.please feel free to contact me,maybe i can help you something in shipping.
MSN:[email protected]
0 Replies