Delicious slow/er-cooked food ....

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:59 pm
A request, if I may: any recipes including cabbage or capsicums red or green), anyone? (Not necessarily in the same recipe.) They're in season here (southern Oz) at the moment, so they're inexpensive & look terrific! I really like cabbage but am stuck on recipe ideas. So soup, casseroles, whatever ... I'm looking for fresh inspiration. I really like the idea of slow-cooked cabbage in a dish! Yum.
jespah

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:03 pm
@msolga,
Oh it's just the more or less standard selling size of tofu. A pound, I think.

Actually today I made the soup, ditched the chicken fat and tofu (I forgot 'em, ewps) and added, heh, a Vidalia onion (see, you can't get away from them) and some sliced portabella mushrooms. I've tried it and it is good.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:07 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass, what is a good substitute for "collard greens"? I'm not sure: Spinach? Rocket? Italian or Asian greens? Are they a bitter or a milder green? What sort of taste should I be looking for?
JPB

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:52 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Cook Like a Peasant, Eat Like a King: that's my type of cookbook, JPB! (I actually have real peasant ancestors.Very HappyWink )
Oh I do like the Pistou recipe! I will most definitely give it a go! But just one question: about the "pea beans". I'm not sure exactly what variety of bean they are. Perhaps one I already have on my shelves, but called something different in Oz? If I can't find exactly the right beans here, perhaps one of these, which I already do have, could make a reasonable substitute?: red kidney, chick pea, black-eyed beans, canelloni (sp?), Lima beans, black turtle beans & a few more ...

They're also known as navy beans and are a small white bean. Any small bean would probably work with the timing given. Large beans would take longer is all.

http://www.waynescomputerworld.com/Dotti/Images/Vegetables/navy.gif
margo

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:59 pm
@JPB,
Look kinda like cannellini beans to me, Olga
JPB

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 08:00 pm
@margo,
They're about half the size of cannellini.... maybe 2/3
margo

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 08:03 pm
@JPB,
Hmmmm - I've seen some small white beans in the greengrocers...don't know what they are, though.

Perhaps a cooking weekend again!
JPB

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 08:06 pm
@margo,
here's a navy bean soup. Sure Looks Good! I don't have a recipe but it looks like swiss chard, carrots, and mystery meat.

http://www.whatwereeating.com/food_pics/2006-09-19_bean-soup.jpg
margo

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 08:16 pm
@JPB,
Ain't nuthin' remotely navy about those beans - they're a creamy-white colour - not even a hint of blue???
JPB

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 08:52 pm
@margo,
Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:03 am
Low Salt, Low Fat Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce

Ingredients
8 oz Portabella Mushrooms
2/3 oz Fresh Oregano
2/3 oz Fresh Basil
10 oz Fresh White Mushroom pieces or slices
1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion
2 cloves of Garlic
8 cups chopped or sliced Plum Tomatoes (about 14 or 15)
16 oz raw Baby Carrots

Directions
Finely chop all ingredients and place in slow cooker. If you are using dried herbs rather than fresh, halve the amounts.
Cook for 8 hours in the slow cooker. If not all of the ingredients fit, fit whatever you can in and let it go for an hour. By that time, the ingredients will have cooked down and you should be able to add the remainder.
Once the cooking process is done, turn off the cooker and let it sit with the lid slightly open for about 4 hours in order to let off some liquid. If you don't want to wait, just pour off the liquid, which can be used in a soup.
Makes 48 oz. Serving size is 2 oz.

Number of Servings: 24

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 24
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 28.4
Total Fat: 0.4 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 13.1 mg
Total Carbs: 6.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.7 g
Protein: 1.2 g
bungie

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:26 am
@margo,
Navy beans is what we get in cans of "baked beans" msolga.
I guess you can buy them loose so to speak, but can't say I have seen them in shops. Have been told that pound for pound they have the same protein as meat.
A can of baked beans is always handy to have on the shelf. Very Happy
msolga

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 01:15 am
@jespah,
Nice, jespah! Now that would be a deeply tasty sauce! (& about the right amount for my midget slow cooker! Very Happy )
msolga

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 01:19 am
@bungie,
(G'day bungie. Where have you been? Very nice to see you again! Very Happy )

I always wondered what variety of beans was in those cans. But I use cans of baked beans so rarely (like never!), so how would I know?

jespah

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:59 am
@msolga,
Thanks! Keep in mind you may need to let it cook down for a while if you've got too much to put in.

I make it about every 2 - 4 weeks and put it into two Mason jars (each jar holds perhaps 32 oz.). It keeps well on the refrigerator door.
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:35 am
@msolga,
Hello there msolga. Thank you, and it's nice to see you too.
Had a devil of a time getting back in here .... but as you see ... I am in !!
All this talk of cooking is making me hungry ... my poor old mum used to be able to make a tasty and filling meal out of almost nothing. I guess in her day they had to make do. The old wood stove going, the pressure cooker chirping away ... it was so nice to come home to ... ah, days gone by ... although we still use a pressure cooker ... a terrific way to prepare meals ...
sorry, rambling on here lol ...
It's nice to be back ... cheers everyone ... Wink
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:45 am
@bungie,
Hi, all, I've been laggard re posting some recipes. I want to put in some new ones before I drag up some of my previous posted ones from the folds of a2k.
It'll give me a push to put some of my recipe files in their folders while I'm reconnoitering the land of braising.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:47 am
@bungie,
Ya know, bungie, I have this feeling that there may be a return of those "making ends meet" times for many of us, before too long ... if not already. And know what?: (Food/health-wise) it may not be too bad a thing!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 09:35 pm
@msolga,
Ok, ok, I'm braising as we speak.

This is my source - and read the comments, since I'm riffing off of a comment on using this recipe with braising.

http://bitten.dblogs.nytimes.com/?s=soy+poached+roast+chicken&search.x=12&search.y=7&search=Search

The original recipe on the blog -

Soy-Poached Roast Chicken
Yield 4 servings
Time 40 minutes

You can serve the chicken straight out of the stockpot with the liquid as a sauce, but I like to finish it in a hot oven, where it develops a crispy, dark brown crust that takes roast chicken to another level.
Ingredients

3 cups mushroom-flavored soy sauce, or any dark soy sauce
3 cups mei kuei lu chiew or any floral off-dry white wine, like gewurztraminer or muscat
2 star anise
1 14-ounce box yellow rock sugar, crushed, or 1 cup white sugar
3 ounces ginger (about a 5-inch knob), cut into slices and bruised with side of knife
10 scallions
1 chicken, 2 1/2 to 3 pounds

Method
1. In stockpot or narrow 6-quart pot, combine soy sauce, rice wine, 2 cups water, star anise, sugar and ginger. Bring to rolling boil. Add 6 scallions. Lower chicken gently and slowly into liquid, breast side down.
2. Bring back to boil, and cook steadily for 10 minutes. Turn off heat, and turn chicken over. Let sit in hot liquid 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, trim and mince remaining scallions and preheat oven to 500 degrees.
4. Carefully remove chicken from liquid, and put in skillet or roasting pan. Roast 5 minutes, or until nicely browned; keep an eye on it -- it can burn easily. Meanwhile, reheat liquid. When chicken is ready, carve and serve with a few spoonfuls of sauce over it. Put minced scallions into a cup of sauce; pass at table to go over white rice.
Note: You can reuse the liquid -- it improves with each use -- although I would strain it and replace the ginger, scallions and star anise each time, adding extra liquid. I also recommend freezing it between uses, or refrigerating it and bringing it to a rolling boil every few days.

The comment that inspired me to braise -
3. April 30th,
1:16 pm
I am really interested and look forward to trying this with the final roasting. I make a close version of it with much less liquid and proportionally less other ingredients, increase the cooking time and treat it as a braise. I also like to spike it with a few szechuan pepper corns.
" Posted by Michael Z

So, I have this frying chicken, 4.73 pounds, much bigger than the recipe calls for
- I also have no star anise, nor any 5 spice mix (which has anise in it) - I do have cinnamon and cloves and peppercorns, though not szechwan; have some fennel, what the hell, I'll add a smidge of each.
- my soy sauce has no mushroom flavor that I know of - but I do have some dried porcini
- I don't presently have real ginger root but I have some candied ginger, and some pickled ginger.
- nor am I interested in making the braise all sugary.

So...

I put two cups of soy sauce in my pot, along with two cups of cheapo chardonnay and two cups of water.
I drop in the previously soaked porcini (1), 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground cloves, 1 tsp peppercorns, 3/4 tsp fennel seeds, 3 pieces candied ginger and no other sugar. And ten scallions, no problem there.

I bring all this to a boil. Add the chicken. Add more water to just about cover the chicken. Turn the flame down, but not yet way low, just for a bit to warm up the chicken. Then turn it down to simmer, and so it goes. I figure it'll take a while to cook down; not sure if I'll to the short roasting bit or not. Chicky already looks and smells good.. (even I can smell it and I've got a lousy sense of smell).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 09:37 pm
@msolga,
I like cabbage a lot, as well as capsicums.. back manana with a cabbage tale or two.