Delicious slow/er-cooked food ....

Endymion

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:21 pm
Smile
some great information on this thread - i've had to google more than one ingredient I admit (guess my cooking is pretty basic).

My idea of slow cooking is - I get organic vegetables, herbs and pulses, garlic, black pepper etc, throw it all in a pot and see what happens.
(I only eat meat if i feel i really need it - which is about once or twice in a month).

The thing about cooking just for yourself that i find hard is the not being able to share what you've made. Or even talk it over. I like talking about food. I like reading about it too.
Thanks for sharing all this - Endy

ps - i made a potato and garlic 'curry' (sorta) once (rather drunk at the time) that was spontaneous and limited to what i had in the cupboard. Sadly i've never been able to remember how or what went into it but it really was fantastic (even eaten two days later from the fridge) - if anyone has any ideas along those lines.... though maybe this isn't the right thread for that?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:48 pm
@Endymion,
You could start a curry thread - I only use some curry spice mixes, don't make my own. But some other folks at a2k know more about making curries of different types than I do.

I remember the first time I had indian curry. I thought I just might die after the first spoonful, but soon got to love it.
Endymion

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 10:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Hey -that's not a bad idea - there is quite an interesting history regarding the British and their discovering Indian spices (and teas).
I hate all that imperial stuff - but there are some great stories.
During world wars, for example, curry powder was like gold dust to many a British soldier (and who could/can blame them). They dumped it in every bland meal they were offered. I never met an old timer from WWII who didn't love his curry Smile
(I used to work in a pub in London when i was 18 - where i met a lot of WWII vets - and ate a few curries too)

sorry - i'll shut up now and go and find something to eat
see ya

(And hi to Olga Smile )
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 11:04 pm
@Endymion,
Tangent to thread - I'm eating my newly cooked potato/sweet potato/carrot/chicken broth/sauteed onion and celery/1 spicy ital sausage/frozen peas/last minute addition of bits of sliced cabbage.. soup. (I tossed the soy/wine/water broth, enough already.) More to my liking..
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:30 am
@msolga,
I eat what I shoot. Smile

I would shoot for something under 250 - the lower your oven can go the better. some gas stoves will stink the place up with unburned fuel if you try to set them too low, and you'll get a bad headache.
cjhsa

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:33 am
@msolga,
Mustard greens or kale would be a good substitute. Even beet greens or dandelion. They need to be older, mature leaves or they will just turn to baby food - you don't want that. Collards can cook all day and retain their shape, just limp of course.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:36 am
@cjhsa,
That would be 250F.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:39 am
The Oct issue of Better Homes and Gardens arrived in yesterday's mail. The cover indicates that there's a section inside of "Hearty Slow Cooker Suppers". I haven't looked yet, but will copy over some recipes when I get a chance.
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:36 pm
@JPB,
Oh good! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:13 pm
@Endymion,
Quote:
The thing about cooking just for yourself that i find hard is the not being able to share what you've made. Or even talk it over. I like talking about food. I like reading about it too.
Thanks for sharing all this - Endy

ps - i made a potato and garlic 'curry' (sorta) once (rather drunk at the time) that was spontaneous and limited to what i had in the cupboard. Sadly i've never been able to remember how or what went into it but it really was fantastic (even eaten two days later from the fridge) - if anyone has any ideas along those lines.... though maybe this isn't the right thread for that?

I'll second osso's suggestion, Endy. Why not start a curry ("sorta" Wink ) thread, or a healthy vegetable cooking one? I'll be there if you do ... & I'm sure lots of others would be, too.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
@msolga,
aaach.. I've been organizing my totally out of hand saved recipes.. will add some braising ones here, figuring they can be adapted for crockpots as well as dutch ovens/french oven type pots.
I'm skipping the 'braising' recipes that I consider just simmering for not very long. Most of those involve either chicken, or meatballs.

Guess I'll start with braised lamb recipes I've saved.

From Nigel Slater in The Observer
This one seems not so good for a crockpot, more for a weekend day when one is at home anyway. Sounds good to me, though.

Braised lamb shanks with leeks and haricot beans

This gets even better when left overnight in the fridge. You could make it a day or two in advance to good end. Serves 4.

4 small lamb shanks
300g dried haricot beans
4 bay leaves
olive oil
4 large leeks, trimmed, halved lengthways and rinsed
a thick slice of butter (about 60g)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
1 tbsp chopped thyme leaves
1 tbsp plain flour
650ml of light stock or water
juice and zest of a lemon
a handful of parsley, chopped<
a handful of mint leaves

Soak the beans overnight in cold water. The next day, drain them, put them into a deep saucepan and cover with fresh water. Bring to the boil, skim off the froth, drop in two bay leaves and a drop or two of olive oil and simmer for 40 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave them in the cooking water.

Warm a glug of olive oil in a deep casserole. Season the shanks all over with salt and black pepper then lower them into the pan. They should sizzle when they hit the oil. Turn the meat from time to time until it has coloured nicely on all sides (a pale honey rather than deep brown). Remove the meat from the casserole and set aside on a plate to catch any escaping juices.

Set the oven at 160C/gas mark 4. Cut the leeks into chunks roughly the length of a wine cork; wash them thoroughly, making sure no grit or sand is trapped in their many layers, and then put them, together with the butter, in the casserole, keeping the heat low. Cover with a piece of greaseproof or bakewell paper then cover with a lid. (The paper will encourage them to cook in their own steam rather than brown.) Leave them to cook until they have started to soften - a good 20 minutes or so. You will need to give them an occasional stir.

Remove and discard the paper. Peel and thinly slice the garlic, and add it to the pot with the thyme and two bay leaves. Sprinkle the flour over the top and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, then pour in the water or stock and the drained cooked beans. Season with salt and pepper.

Return the shanks and any collected juices to the pan. Bring back to the boil. Cover the casserole with a lid and place in the oven for an hour and a half or until the lamb is completely tender - sometimes it takes two. You should be able to remove it from the bone with little effort. (Then again, it shouldn't actually be falling apart.) Remove from the oven, stir in most of the lemon juice and zest, parsley and mint, then scatter the rest over as you serve.

Slow-baked rhubarb with vanilla and blood orange

A sharply refreshing warm pudding for after the lamb. Serves 4.

450g rhubarb
a vanilla pod
the juice of 2 blood oranges and the zest of 1
3 level tbsp golden caster sugar

Set the oven to 160C/gas mark 4. Cut the rhubarb into lengths roughly the size of a finger and put them into a baking dish. Scrape the seeds from inside the vanilla pod and mix with the juice and zest of one of the oranges and the juice of both. Add the sugar then pour over the rhubarb and toss gently so that each piece of fruit is wet. Roast for 30-35 minutes until soft and tender. Serve warm, in bowls, with the hot orangey-vanilla juices spooned over.

[email protected]

Another lamb shanks recipe that needs you to stay home but sounds even better than the first one.

http://www.mollystevenscooks.com/recipes.php#recipe_9

Braised Lamb Shanks with Garlic and Vermouth

The inspiration for this recipe comes from Richard Olney's "Simple French Food", where the shanks and garlic are cooked with nothing more than a bit of water. I've updated Olney's version by adding dry white vermouth adn a few bay leaves. Make this on a Sunday afternoon when you're hanging around doing nothing much at all. As the lamb braises, wonderful meaty, herbaceous aromas will fill the house.

Serves 6

6 lamb shanks (3/4 to 1 pound each)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup dry white vermouth, preferably Vya or Noilly Pratt
2 bay leaves
2 heads garlic, separated into cloves (unpeeled)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice; more as needed
1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs, preferably a mix of mint and parsley (chervil and chives are also good)

Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Trim any excess fat from the lamb shanks (being careful not to trim away the thin membrane that holds the meat to the bone) and season them all over with salt and pepper.

Heat the oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or other heavy braising pot large enough to accommodate the lamb shanks in single or double layer. When the oil is shimmering, add half the shanks and brown on all sides, 12 to 15 minutes total. Set the browned shanks on a platter or tray to catch any drippings. Repeat with the remaining shanks. When all the shanks are browned, pour off and discard the fat from the pan.

Return the pan to medium-high heat and add the vermouth. As the vermouth boils, stir with a wooden spoon to dissolve the drippings. Return the shanks to the pan, arranging them as best you can so they fit snugly. Tuck the bay leaves in between the shanks and scatter over the garlic. Cover and slide into the lower third of the oven. Braise, turning the shanks every 45 minutes, until fork tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Transfer the shanks to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Tilt the braising pot to pool the juices at one end and skim off the surface fat. Strain the liquid through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing down on the garlic cloves so the pulp goes through but not the skins. Discard the bay leaves. Whisk in the lemon juice. Taste the strained sauce for salt. To serve, spoon the sauce over the shanks and shower them with the chopped herbs and a little freshly ground pepper.

For making ahead: don’t bother skimming the fat from the braising liquid. Instead, strain it, pressing down to extract the garlic pulp, and pour a little over the shanks to moisten the meat. Refrigerate the shanks and remaining strained braising liquid separately, both tightly covered. Before serving, arrange the shanks in a baking dish. Lift the solid fat from the top of the chilled liquid, spoon what remains over the shanks, cover with foil and warm in a 325 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Finish with herbs and black pepper, and serve.

This one seems like it would work in a crockpot:

From http://www.dvo.com/index.html

Braised Pork Shoulder in Milk
Serves: 6

(Maiale al Latte)
Makes 6 to 8 servings

In Lombardy and the Veneto, veal, pork, and chicken are sometimes cooked in milk. This keeps the meat tender, and when it is done the milk makes a creamy brown sauce to serve with the meat.
Vegetables, pancetta, and wine add flavor. I use a boneless shoulder or butt roast for this dish because it takes well to slow, moist cooking. The meat is cooked on the stove, so you don't need to turn on your oven.

1 boneless pork shoulder steak or butt roast (about 3 pounds)
4 ounces finely diced Italian bacon (pancetta)
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 rib small tender celery
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 quart milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine

1. In a large Dutch oven or other deep, heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid, combine the pork, pancetta, carrot, celery, onion, milk, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring the liquid to a simmer over medium heat.

2. Partially cover the pot and cook over medium heat, turning occasionally, about 2 hours or until the meat is tender when pierced with a fork.

3. Transfer the meat to a cutting board. Cover with foil to keep warm. Raise the heat under the pot and cook until the liquid is reduced and lightly browned. Pour the juices through a strainer into a bowl, then pour the liquid back into the pot.

4. Pour the wine into the pot and bring to a simmer, scraping up and blending in any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Slice the pork and arrange it on a warm serving platter. Pour the cooking liquid over the top. Serve hot.

From "1,000 Italian Recipes." Copyright 2004 by Michele Scicolone. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 02:01 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm remembering a puerto rican braise recipe, have to look for that one, can't remember if it's beef or pork but might work for both.

This is a link with lots of braising recipes, including for vegetables, and seafood, in various cuisines..
I haven't explored it myself, but now that I see it again, want to check them out.
http://www.whats4eats.com/method/braising

another list that is from that same whats4eats site,may be exactly the same dishes, I just didn't double check them:
Adobong Manok (Filipino chicken in vinegar sauce)
Coq au Vin (French chicken braised in wine)
Djej M'Chemel (Moroccan chicken with olives & lemon)
Fesenjan (Persian chicken in pomegranate-walnut sauce)
Pollo Arrosto di Modena (Italian roast chicken in balsamic marinade)
Pollo Chilindrón (Spanish chicken with tomatoes & peppers)
Pollo Encebollado (Salvadoran chicken simmered with onions)
Tajine de Poulet aux Fruits Secss (Moroccan chicken braised with dried fruit)
Braciole alla Pizzaiola (Italian beef simmered in tomato-garlic sauce)
Brasato al Chianti (Italian-Tuscan beef braised in red wine)
Cerdo con Frijoles (Mexican pork & beans)
Dublin Coddle (Irish potatoes braised with sausages & bacon)
Hasenpfeffer (German rabbit fricassee)
Red-Cooked Pork (Chinese pork braised in soy broth)
Smothered pork chops (American Southern-Soul pork chops with onion gravy)
Pescado a la Veracruzana (Mexican fish Veracruz-style)
Blaukraut (German braised red cabbage)
Carottes Étuvées au Beurre (French carrots braised in butter)
Golabki (Polish, Russian stuffed cabbage rolls)
Dušené Zelí (Czech/Slovak braised cabbage)
Imam Bayildi (Turkish stuffed eggplant braised in olive oil)
Kabocha Nimono (Japanese simmered pumpkin)
Ratatouille (French Provençal eggplant, tomato and basil)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 02:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, that puerto rican dish I'm remembering is a pork, and it's a roast, not a braise. I'll add it anyway, since it sounds so good. I can imagine it working with the right cut of beef or lamb..

recipe - http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/02/dining/021mrex.html?scp=3&sq=pernil&st=cse
about Pernil - http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/02/dining/02mini.html?ref=dining

Recipe: Pernil
Published: January 2, 2008
Time: At least 3 hours

The Minimalist: Let the Oven Do All the Work (January 2, 2008)

1 pork shoulder, 4 to 7 pounds (or use fresh ham)
4 or more cloves garlic, peeled
1 large onion, quartered
2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ancho or other mild chili powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil as needed
1 tablespoon wine or cider vinegar
Lime wedges for serving.

1. Heat oven to 300 degrees. Score meat’s skin with a sharp knife, making a cross-hatch pattern. Pulse garlic, onion, oregano, cumin, chili, salt and pepper together in a food processor, adding oil in a drizzle and scraping down sides as necessary, until mixture is pasty. (Alternatively, mash ingredients in a mortar and pestle.) Blend in the vinegar.

2. Rub this mixture well into pork, getting it into every nook and cranny. Put pork in a roasting pan and film bottom with water. Roast pork for several hours (a 4-pound shoulder may be done in 3 hours), turning every hour or so and adding more water as necessary, until meat is very tender. Finish roasting with the skin side up until crisp, raising heat at end of cooking if necessary.

3. Let meat rest for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting it up; meat should be so tender that cutting it into uniform slices is almost impossible; rather, whack it up into chunks. Serve with lime.

Yield: At least 6 servings.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 03:49 pm
@jespah,
Bean soup being made tomorrow. Tonight, the beans are soaking and will be ready to be fired up first thing tomorrow AM. Smile
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 04:45 pm
@jespah,
Here's one for a crockpot ..

Top Recipe 1988: Sumatran Red Short Ribs of Beef
Wednesday, October 4, 2006
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/04/FDG83LG5SB1.DTL

This curry-like dish has a wonderful balance of seasonings and a flavor that's addictive: The more you eat, the more you want, and the better it gets. The meat should be fork-tender, so be sure to simmer it long enough. If it threatens to dry out as it cooks, just add a little more water. The stew is even better reheated, so it may be made a day ahead. Serve with plain steamed rice or a pilaf cooked with a pinch of turmeric and studded with currants. This recipe is from Copeland Marks (1921-1999), who wrote several articles for the Food section and was a food historian, cookbook writer, and teacher and lecturer on ethnic foods at the Asia Society, the Smithsonian Institution and New York University.

INGREDIENTS:

4 shallots, sliced

3 garlic cloves, sliced

A 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced

4 red serrano peppers, seeded and sliced

2 teaspoons ground coriander

1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric

1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

2 cups water

2 pounds lean boneless short ribs of beef, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 3-inch pieces; or lean fresh brisket or chuck

2 tablespoons corn oil

2 Indonesian bay leaves or curry leaves

2 slices galangal

1 stalk lemongrass

1 slice of lemon

INSTRUCTIONS: Process the shallots, garlic, ginger, chiles, coriander, turmeric, salt and 1/2 cup of the water to a smooth sauce. Marinate beef in this mixture for 1/2 hour.

Heat the oil in a wok; add the beef and its marinade, the bay leaves, galangal, lemongrass and lemon. Stir-fry over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups water, cover and simmer until the beef is tender, 1-3 hours depending on cut of beef used. If the sauce evaporates too quickly, add another 1/2 cup water and continue to simmer. Degrease the sauce before serving.

Serves 4

Per serving: 570 calories, 50 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 35 g fat (13 g saturated), 143 mg cholesterol, 635 mg sodium, 2 g fiber.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 04:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Note, I know this works with an appropriate beef cut too, not sure about the herbs.. but the milk works (I use milk in a beef bolognese sauce recipe).

from the same source,
Milanese Braised Pork

This recipe from Shirley Sarvis is the ultimate cold-weather comfort food: rich, satisfying and rib-sticking. As the pork braises, the sauce reduces and will look curdled. Not to worry. This is supposed to happen, and is important to the flavor of the finished dish. Sarvis is a Bay Area food and wine writer/consultant.

INSTRUCTIONS:

One 3-pound boneless pork butt (shoulder) roast

Salt and pepper

Leaves from four 3-inch sprigs fresh rosemary, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary

2 1/2 cups milk

8 to 10 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped

8 to 10 fresh sage leaves

INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Trim excess fat from pork and tie the roast, if necessary. Wipe the meat dry. Season with salt and pepper and rub with the dried rosemary, if using.

Place the roast in a large, oiled Dutch oven, cover, and bake for 2 hours.

Remove the meat and skim off the fat from the pan juices. Return the roast to the pan. Pour 1/2 cup of the milk into the pan. Add the garlic, sage and fresh rosemary (if not using dried). Cover and braise until the meat is very tender, about 1 hour, turning once or twice (see note). Check occasionally, and add a little more milk, if necessary, to keep 1/4 inch of liquid in the pan.

Transfer the roast to a warm platter. Add any remaining milk to the pan and cook over high heat, stirring, until the mixture turns light brown and thickens to the consistency of heavy cream (you should have about 1 1/2 cups sauce). Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Carve the roast and spoon some of the cooking juices over each serving.

Serves 6

Note: You may braise the pork up to 2 hours, but you may need more milk " up to 1 quart. The pork will become almost spoon-slice tender.

PER SERVING: 360 calories, 40 g protein, 6 g carbohydrate, 18 g fat (7 g saturated), 140 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 01:51 am
Wow, osso! A lot of recipes & links to even more recipes! I can see I'm going to have to put aside some recipe reading time! Very Happy

Thank you!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 12:20 pm
@msolga,
Here's some suggested herbs with beef - I'm sure there are lots more, but just a start.

http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/herbs4.html
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 10:42 am
I know this is an old thread but I just found it and want to share a recipe I found in "Fix-It and Forget-It-Cookbook". This might sound odd but the results are wonderful.

Place a Turkey Breast in the Slow Cooker
mix a package of "Lipton's Onion Soup with a can of whole cranberries and add a quarter cup of orange juice.
Pour the mixture over the Breast and cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours. The liquid turns into a wonderful gravy, the berries break down and it all becomes smooth and luscious.

When I can't find the turkey breast, I've used Chicken Breasts, they both work well.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 11:39 am
@glitterbag,
Good idea, glitterbag. I'd probably use one of Knorr's veggie soups (leek, perhaps), but this seems like a good use of the slow cooker.

Set made a great meal in ours the other day. A giant pork rib roast, a bottle of Brazilian beer, onions, some kind of fruit, lentils, white kidney beans, a can of Habitant bean with ham soup. 8 hours. That was sooooooo delicious.