A2K NFL Pick 'Um for Season V (Roman Numeral for 5)

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 02:25 pm
@Miz Cowdoc,
Good to see you, Miz Cowdoc and Sublime1 !
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 02:52 pm
So I have this chart. And it is so neat and tidy. 16 rows down the left plus rows for scores. 25 columns across the top. Each of us gets a quarter of an inch of column. Each of you is worth a quarter of an inch to me.
The early games are over. I attack my nice chart with blue and red highlighters. Blue is a correct pick. Red is a bad one. I used to use green rather than blue but it dried up. I make no political statement by using blue or red.
Through the early games--I have that here somewhere--: there is really not much to report. Five of us have 2 wrong picks; four of us have 5 blunders. Those in the latter category may recover. Perhaps not.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 02:57 pm
How 'bout da Bears.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 03:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
http://www.churchillcounty.org/comptroller/images/bookkeeper.gif
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:30 pm
I gambled on Minnesota and they led most of the day and then. . .and then . . .
http://www.debatepolitics.com/images/smilies/damn.gif
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 06:23 pm
Last week I said we were mediocre. This week, so far, we are even more so--if that is possible. 13 games over (Balt@Houston postponed) and 2 to go.
Alex has to wear the A2K clown costume (did yall even know we had an A2K clown costume?) after going 2-9 plus two abstentions.
The rest of us are, as mentioned, undistinguished in our picking success, ranging from 5-8 to 8-5.
Ah, 8-5: Realjohnboy, Foxfyre, ElStud and Imur. Every player here has the Steelers, and the 8-5ers all have Dallas. Tie-town, perhaps, with Fbaezer and Ms Cowdoc joining in the tie if Philly wins.
Ragman

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 09:22 am
@realjohnboy,
Oy vey! Sure were some upsets. I'm not sure that I want to see what that changes to my orig. choices did to my week's success rate.

However, all that being said, there were some great football games. Sure is good to have season under way. That Redskins-Saints and Broncs-Charger games were pretty damn interesting. Especially with the way Broncs-Chargers ended and how they scored. Gotta feel bad for a good Charger team being snake-bitten with those 2 games with last-minute officiating decisions. Of course, Chargers still had a chance at the end to do something to change the result, so it's not as tragic as it seemed on the surface. Gotta be the best 0-2 team in many seasons. Charger's next week's matchup with the Jets should be interesting. Sure can't see Jets faring too well with that one, either. This match is in SD. Gotta love Favre, but this is his "Welcome back to the NFL" greeting!

Surprisingly, the Pats win was pretty solid. This shows what a well-run team they are and how deep their talent is (beyond Brady). Moss was basically out of it and they STILL pulled it out. Without being too giddy, let's see what happens when they face a strong playoff-bound team. Jets don't seem to be too strong on either side of the ball...so far.
Ragman

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 09:43 am
@Ragman,
Let this be an example as I'm the 'poster-child for "never-make-a-change-after-your-first-choice"! My changes resutled in a loss of 4 out of 5 points. I'd have been 10-4 if I'd made no changes after my first choices. Only one change resulted in a win. Oh well, at least I didn't put any money on it!
wandeljw

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:51 am
@Ragman,
You should be consoled by the fact that you have until November to change your mind on the Baltimore-Houston game, Ragman.
Ragman

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:29 pm
@wandeljw,
hehehe! Too bad there's not much riding on that. Baltimore MIGHT be a playoff team IF they get their act together.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 03:12 pm
@realjohnboy,
"abstentions"..? Are you referrng to: picking both Seattle and San Francisco?
As long as there is a red nose.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 04:45 pm
@alex240101,
And skipping the NYG @ St Louis game. I tried emailing you @ the blind address (whatever that is) but it failed.
alex240101

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 05:27 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thanks realjohnboy. My e-mail address is [email protected]. I also have it posted in my profile under occupation.
Week Three:
Atlanta
Buffalo
Tampa Bay(their on a roll)
Tennessee
Carolina
New England
Giants
Arizona
San Francisco(sorry lions, look at my shoes)
Seattle
Denver
Pittsburgh
Indiapolis
Baltimore
Green Bay(eventhough Dallas plays tonight, they'll be in hostile territory next week)
Monday Nigtht: San Diego. 14-10
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 07:40 pm
@alex240101,
Alex's picks for Week #3 are duly recorded. Please return the clown costume, washed and pressed, along with the big shoes and the red nose, to A2K Central. I am sure it will be needed again.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 07:52 pm
@realjohnboy,
ROFL

My sis has a "duck umbrella" for karaoke night at the bar. By group vote, one must sing their song under the umbrella as a sign to the newbies to go outside and take a smoke...

Alex is cool, for a Mitten guy...
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 08:05 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

My sis has a "duck umbrella" for karaoke night at the bar. By group vote, one must sing their song under the umbrella as a sign to the newbies to go outside and take a smoke.

I guess that makes sense. I guess.
No it doesn't.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 08:16 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'll 'splain later.

(I rarely makes sense in real time, 'less ya got the inside sheet...)

I needa focus more on this game, as I'm not doin' the fantasy thing. The oddsmakers been takin' it in the shorts of late methinks...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 01:47 pm
Week #2: Imur won the week, thanks to his predicting that a lot of points would be scored in last night's tiebreaker game. He said 62 total points. The actual total was 78. It was one of the highest scoring games in Monday Night Football history.
He finished the week at 10-5, tied with Johnboy, Foxfyre and ElStud. Five players came in at 9-6 and six eked out a winning week by going 8-7. Six folks finished below .500.
The standings and next week's schedule coming up shortly.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 02:45 pm
Standings after Week #2: Wandejw breaks out of a 3-way tie for 1st with a second good week. His winning average is now .677. Ragman, who was in a tie for 1st last week slips into a tie for 2nd with Johnboy. Their winning % is .645. Noticable is that Johnboy is the only player to have a double digit number of wins in each week. "Mr Consistency."
4th place belongs to Liontamer at .625; he did not play last week.
Fbaezer (.612) is in a tie for 5th with ElStud (who rose from 9th) and Jespah (who sank from a tie for 1st).
Sublime checks in with a decent week (.600) and claims 8th place.
Tied for 9th (.580) are McGentrix, Osso, Edgar and Imur (who rose from 17th).
Tico, Region, Foxfyre and Cowdoc are tied for 13th (.548) with Cowdoc tumbling from 5th after a losing week.
In 17th are Ma Porsche and Ms Cowdoc.
Rockhead, who really needs to start paying attention sits in the 19th slot along with Ehbeth. Each of them did pretty badly last week.
Still in 21st (.466) is Mysteryman who has to be smiling as George (22nd & .451) and Alex (23rd & .413) race to the bottom of the standings.

As always, please let me know if have screwed anything up. Good luck in week #3.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 02:49 pm
@realjohnboy,
You'll have my full attention in two weeks here, RJB.

I'm still focused on you till then elsewhere...

(and there's nothin' wrong with hangin' out with Beth, eh?)