A2K NFL Pick 'Um for Season V (Roman Numeral for 5)

Rockhead

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 09:29 pm
@Ragman,
Miami won like 1 game last year dudes...

(thank God, or I could not tease Alex)
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 10:27 pm
@Rockhead,
tony soprano sez:

brett is swimming with the fishes...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 03:28 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Question. Are we as a group getting any smarter - at least as measured by our collective winning percentage?
Week #1: .580
Week #2: .531
Week #3: .603
Week #4: .517
Week #5: .617
Week #6: .507 (except for Cowdoc we stank)
Week #7: .633
Week #8: .592
Week #9: .596
Week #10: .747
Week #11: .707
Week #12: .637
Week #13: .622
Week #14: .712
Week #15: .650
Week #16: .497
Week #17: .641
Season to date: .614

We finished the season with a pretty decent week. Wandeljw had a fine week, ending at 13-3. He won the week outright. Rockhead and Ehbeth followed closely at 12-4. Six players came in at 11-5: Osso, Foxfyre, George, Ragman, Cowdoc and Miz Cowdoc. Johnboy, McGentrix, Tico, Imur and Alex did okay at 10-6. Edgar, ElStud, Jespah, Fbaezer and Mysteryman finished at 9-7 followed by Region, whose "pick the underdog" strategy rewarded him with a 7-9 week.

I didn't keep track of the weekly winners. In the past most everyone won once or so; a couple won a couple of weeks. This year some of yall didn't play so nice. We had several of yall who won multiple times, I think.

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 04:25 pm
Here are the final standings for the 2008 Season V:

1) Ragman (.675) (1st last week) He was 1st most all season
2) Ehbeth (.644) (2nd) A fantastic season for the Canuck amongst us
3) McGentrix (.643) (3rd) Just .001 out of 2nd
4) Wandeljw (.640) (5th) Nice finish
4) ElStud (.640) (2nd) A costly stumble vs some other's good performance
6) Cowdoc (.632) (5th) His misfortune in week 16 hurt
7) Fbaezer (.624) (7th) Caught in the middle with ...
7) Osso (.624) (9th) A solid year
9) Jespah (.620) (8th) Part of the pack separated by very few points
10) Edgar (.615) (10th) Pretty consistent for the season
11) Rockhead (.613) (14th) Nice pop at the end
12) RealJohnBoy (.612) (11th) Not the brightest light bulb here
13) Imur (.608) (12th) Our european picker
14) Tico (.607) (13th) Fantasty Football champ stumbles here
15) FoxFyre (.600) (15th) She "learned a lot this season"
16) Miz Cowdoc (.591) (17th) Inconsistency hurt her: good/bad weeks
17) Alex (.581) (18th) He never got any traction
18) George (.579) (19th) Loyalty on his sleeve has a price
19) Region (.577) (16th) So it goes
20) Mysteryman (.544) (20th "Wait 'til next year"

The best ESPN picker finished at .668 which would be good for 2nd place. The worst, at .606 would end up in 15th.

Congrats to Ragman for being our champion. We used to have a virtual trophy that would be shipped around. It was, however, as shown on A2K in an image posted, pretty tasteless. It quietly got retired after Season #3.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 05:08 pm
I have bagged up the Pabst Blue Ribbon cans and will take them to the recyling center tomorrow. The Chees-whiz cans and Ritz cracker boxes will wind up in somebody's dumpster when they aren't looking. The counters in the studio have been wiped down. I vacuumed the carpets and turned down the thermostat. One light left on and the key is under the mat.

Thanks to yall (some 20 players) who, as a group, picked some 5000 games.
I put this game here rather than on Yahoo because I saw it attracting a broad audience of casual players. A side effect, and the most appealing part of having it here, was the conversations in the down time between Tuesday and Sunday. We learned about bellydancing and more than we probably wanted to know about large animal vet care. We waited to hear from Edgar after the hurricane in Houston and, at the end of the season, the injury of Mysteryman's nephew in Iraq.

I will be throwing away about 40 pages of stuff relating to this season. I certainly see some things I could have done better. It was a lot less complicated with fewer players. But still fun.

We will be back for Season VI in August or so. I would certainly like to plant the seed for someone else to run this next year. It takes about 4 hours a week, mostly on Tuesday with the results from the previos week and the schedule for the next week. Some time also required on Sunday as the results come in.
Possibly, two folks could share the duties: one to do the stats and one to write the drivel reporting the results. I suspect my style of writing is getting a bit stale and we could benefit from a fresh voice.

Thanks again to yall for playing! 1500 posts, 16600 view.

PS: Next week is the start of the playoffs in the NFL. It will begin with a few "wild-card" games followed by the road to the Super-Bowl a week later. Watch for a new thread designed around the notion that players on A2K can, in one sitting, pick all the way through. Painless and, as is my wont, planned to identify some new potential players for next season. Any suggestions on scoring would be appropriate (1 pt for a 1st week correct pick; 3 for a 2nd week etc) would be appreciated.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 05:24 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thank you, Johnboy, for all your wit and work, your ribalderdash redneck charm. You made this fun for the lot of us.

I've no clue re scoring the playoff sequence, while remembering doing lousily last year.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 05:27 pm
Nice job, RJB. Thank you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 05:39 pm
@realjohnboy,
A hugely heartfelt thank you to RealGentlemanJohnboy for making this so much fun.

http://images.google.ca/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://patmarproperties.net/Beating_Heart/beating_heart.gif&usg=AFQjCNHhXbPmZff6J27T_GlTxSLRL7cWSQ

Football, big critter care not to be confused with belly dance, storms, political candidates, friends. It's all good.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 05:39 pm
@realjohnboy,
RJB, thanks for all of your effort and the cool comments, too. You've added a lot to make it fun.

Your scoring idea of 1 point for first-round correct guessing and 3 for 2nd- round makes sense. Not exactly sure how it would work in the later rounds. thought of a March Madness type of bracket, but not thought it through all the way if it'd adapt to this.

RJB: Might I request your email so I can discuss this topic one-on-one?
lmur

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 05:48 pm
Thanks very much, RJB. A terrific job and - as everyone else has noted - carried off with humour and lightness of touch. Enjoyed it immensely.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 05:54 pm
Yes thanks so much RJB......it has been really fun thanks to all your hard work.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 06:11 pm
@Ragman,
How do I post my email address to you without it getting into the hands of the unwashed masses? Am I paranoid? Osso, Miz Letty, Bob and Diane, and perhaps Rockhead and JPB all have it, I think.
CowDoc

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 06:17 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thanks to RJB and congrats to Ragman. I'm sure the Miz and I will be back for more suffering and misfortune as we attempt to prophesy the impossible again next year.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 06:30 pm
What everyone else said here RJB. Thanks for making it an interesting season...
0 Replies

ElStudHoncho

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 06:32 pm
RJB........Thanks so much for all of your work on this. My first year at it and enjoyed myself except for the playoffs!!!!

Tico, Cyclo, and Wazoo.....congrats. My Gerbils lost, my Cowboys lost....misery, misery, misery........
Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 07:29 pm
@realjohnboy,
umm...if I don't have theirs then how can I get yours?

Here's mine ragman_ma

yahoo
Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 07:31 pm
@CowDoc,
thanks to you cowdoc..and all. This was a fun year for guessing and particpating with you all.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 08:26 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
I have bagged up the Pabst Blue Ribbon cans and will take them to the recyling center tomorrow. The Chees-whiz cans and Ritz cracker boxes will wind up in somebody's dumpster when they aren't looking. The counters in the studio have been wiped down. I vacuumed the carpets and turned down the thermostat. One light left on and the key is under the mat.

Please check the carpet again, RJB. You might find Sublime there, still asleep.

Congratulations to Ragman, EhBeth, and McGentrix. (I am shocked that I finished ahead of Cowdoc, but I know he often was tired from working overtime.) I am honored to be tied with ElStud.

Thanks, RJB! At times, your thread was the highlight of my week.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 08:50 am
Wonderful job, John-Boy!
Many thanks for your hard work and lively commentary.
You made it a fun season for all of us.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 11:36 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
I suspect my style of writing is getting a bit stale and we could benefit from a fresh voice.

Stale? Yeah, right.

Thanks for all your hard work, RJB. It was a ton o' fun as usual.
0 Replies