Separating property - end of relationship

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 12:12 pm
I've been royally TRICKED by a woman I lived with for 16 years. After all those years, she returned to her addiction to alcohol & other drugs & she has since then been trying to sue me over my home - because naturally I threw her out for harassment charges.
She did live here for a long time, and she did put her paychecks into a mutual checking account & because she kept nagging about what would happen to her if I was to die. She could be put out on the street by my
daughters. No matter how much I assured her that they wouldn't ever do
such a thing, she just kept on & on about it until I finally agreed to sign
some papers so she could live here till she died.
What I signed, unfortunately was a JTROS - NOT a 'life estate" which
was what I had intended. When we went to an attorney's office to do this paperwork, I was very sick & barely aware of what was going on, I was in a great deal of pain from sciatica & I just wanted to get back home so I could take something for the pain and lay down for a few hours. I was totally not
aware of what I was giving her at the time. ( I now know it is called "life estate" and surely not JTROS.)
I later found out what I had signed gave her the right to sue me over my home. And for a substantial amount of the value of my home based on
how much it had increased in value during the years we lived together. This woman was a school bus aide!! She didn't earn one-tenth of what I earned as a pharmacist. So, in no way did she contribute anything remotely close to my income as a pharmacist. The first time she did anything remotely harassing,
I got a no contact order from the court. She then threatened to sue me again. A mutual friend of ours was trying to "help us" to get our relationship back.
(with friends like that who needs enemies?) SO we agreed to meet with this mutual friend, who was a witness to her signing a QUITCLAIM DEED to my
property. She also signed as a witness and notarized the QUITCLAIM deed signed by my longtime companion, since those were the ONLY conditions under which I would take her back.
Well, she signed the papers but somewhere between our visit to the office
of our friend and the next morning when I was taking the quitclaim deed
to file at the courthouse I found the document was MISSING. No doubt she destroyed it. But, even so I DO STILL HAVE A SIGNED & NOTARIZED STATEMENT OF THE MUTUAL FRIEND DECLARING THAT SHE DID WITNESS HER SIGNING OF THE QUITCLAIM DEED TO MY PROPERTY.
One attorney she went to told her she didn't have a chance, but the next thing you know - MY attorney was negotiating a settlement with this woman when I had no idea that any such negotiating was going on.
This is supposed to be finalized in court tomorrow (where I will now have
to come up with alot of money( about $35,000) to buy her off and finally
get her off my back. But the whole thing just somehow seems VERY SLEAZY AND JUST NOT QUITE RIGHT!!
Is there anyone out there with much experience in family law?? I fear that my attorney is a real sleazy guy who may be splitting the money with her.

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 12:19 pm
What a mess! Sorry to hear about your problems.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 12:29 pm
@babsatamelia,
Yuck. So sorry Babs!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 04:17 pm
Then get another lawyer.

I know that's easier said than done but you can put the brakes on what's happening, you know. You need not be a victim in all of this.

BTW, I'm a notary and while state laws differ, a notary is not a witness unless it's just for a signing. If $$ was exchanged then the notary had a huge conflict of interest.

So -- don't sign. Fire your lawyer. Get another one. Expensive? Yes. Beats the hell outta being homeless, kicked out by an ex-partner, yes?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 04:41 pm
@babsatamelia,
babsatamelia wrote:
What I signed, unfortunately was a JTROS - NOT a 'life estate" which was what I had intended.

I assume that JTROS means "joint tenancy with right of survivorship."

If you kicked her out and she was a joint tenant, then she has a right to sue you. But even if she had a life estate and you kicked her out, she still would have had a right to sue you. In either case, she would have had a property interest in the home, and you had no right to kick her out.

Next time, you should not only read what you sign, you should have your own lawyer draft what you sign.

babsatamelia wrote:
SO we agreed to meet with this mutual friend, who was a witness to her signing a QUITCLAIM DEED to my
property. She also signed as a witness and notarized the QUITCLAIM deed signed by my longtime companion, since those were the ONLY conditions under which I would take her back.
Well, she signed the papers but somewhere between our visit to the office
of our friend and the next morning when I was taking the quitclaim deed
to file at the courthouse I found the document was MISSING.

OK, I understand you are in a very bad situation and you've come to us for help, but I just have to ask: what kind of bonehead are you? First of all, you sign away half of your interest in your home without bothering to read the paperwork, and then you have your ex sign a quitclaim deed without bothering to keep a copy for yourself. And both times it appears you acted without the benefit of an attorney. So here's my first piece of advice for you: STOP TRYING TO BE YOUR OWN LAWYER! Just stop it! I know it can be expensive, but I think you're beginning to learn that a little expense up front can save a huge amount later on.

babsatamelia wrote:
No doubt she destroyed it. But, even so I DO STILL HAVE A SIGNED & NOTARIZED STATEMENT OF THE MUTUAL FRIEND DECLARING THAT SHE DID WITNESS HER SIGNING OF THE QUITCLAIM DEED TO MY PROPERTY.

Probably worthless because of the statute of frauds. But at least you have something.

babsatamelia wrote:
One attorney she went to told her she didn't have a chance, but the next thing you know - MY attorney was negotiating a settlement with this woman when I had no idea that any such negotiating was going on.

Your attorney, of course, should keep you advised of any settlement negotiations. You, however, have the final say on whether or not you accept any settlement. If your lawyer agrees to a settlement without your approval, then he or she is acting unethically. And when I say "unethically" I mean really unethically.

babsatamelia wrote:
This is supposed to be finalized in court tomorrow (where I will now have to come up with alot of money( about $35,000) to buy her off and finally get her off my back. But the whole thing just somehow seems VERY SLEAZY AND JUST NOT QUITE RIGHT!!

It's quite possible that $35k is a fair settlement in this case. I wouldn't know, since I don't know how much the property is worth, but buying someone's half-interest in a house for $35k would certainly be a bargain in many parts of the country.

babsatamelia wrote:
I fear that my attorney is a real sleazy guy who may be splitting the money with her.

As jespah said, if you're in doubt, get a new lawyer.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 04:52 pm
Don't just get a "new" lawyer, get one with good references.
babsatamelia

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, you know what everybody - I have made some very poor decisions and I am learning a great deal from them. For example, rather than my usual habit of keeping my thoughts to myself ... in the future I will talk about them much more. In that way at least I'll find out (get told) when I'm being stupid &/or just plain wrong!! That ONE habit alone would probably have saved me from putting her name on my home to start with. So - you live and you learn,
painful though it may be. Thanks to all for comments.
0 Replies

Thomas Nivada

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 01:52 am
It is really a sad reality from your side and I think that it is really being a part of your pain and give you the harshness. Wish that all the situations must be restore in their original and pure condition.
0 Replies