RainSoft Not Final Rinsing or Waterfilling Brine Tank

Mon 25 Aug, 2008 11:27 pm
I have a RainSoft AM-18 (mechanical) water treatment system which was re-bedded with X-100 resin and placed in my home in 1999 (I used to work for a dealership here that sold back to RainSoft since that time). They can be very successfully rebuilt. New ones are prohibitively expensive, for ME anyway. So is their service now that I don't work there anymore.

Recently the brine tank overflowed and flooded the laundry room. It was determined that while the gas company was checking for gas leaks they moved the brine tank and in doing so the hose got pulled too far up into the "hose tunnel" in the brine tank so it kept refilling but never taking water FROM the brine tank TO the actual "softener". This was remedied by simply pushing the hose all the way back down and then up an inch. A test by adding food coloring to the brine tank revealed that the brine was from that point forth being brought to the softener tank as the blue tint was visible through the clear tubing.

So THAT issue is solved BUT... get this. The softener tank is not doing a final rinse OR refilling the brine tank anymore.

I found this out by: 1) Marking the water level while soaking (never filled up after cycle so it is not "re-wetting" the brine; 2) Flushing the toilet the next morning and turning on the sink, the water that failed to do a final rinse came out (remember my food color test?).

WHAT ON EARTH could be wrong with it? It's gotta be something quite simple since the brine tank sure as heck was filling last week... filling the whole laundry room as a matter of fact!

Is it the hose position, the float, the cycle dial? They are essentially the same on ALL mechanical water softeners/treatment systems so I'm willing to bet someone in this forum of vast knowledge can advise me.

I've zero $$$ to have a technician in if it's some silly thing we did when adjusting the hose position.

Please help if you can!

Thanks!

T.K.

NickFun

Mon 25 Aug, 2008 11:50 pm
@Kitten219,
I suspect your doohickey is not connected properly to your whatchamacallit. If that's not the problem then check the gizmo. I would hate to think it might be a problem with your thingamajig! Hang on -- an expert will be here soon.
Kitten219

Tue 26 Aug, 2008 12:03 am
@NickFun,
I kinda' figured it was something like that! Now my problem is dropping dead from laughter at your response!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 26 Aug, 2008 07:27 am
@Kitten219,
T.K.

It could be a combination of several problems. One thing to remember is
that your control valve is obsolete and no longer supported by the factory.

Possible issues:

Worn O rings on the piston and brine injector.
Worn brine and drain shut off tabs and springs.
Sheared piston motor pin and / or worn out clock motor.
You can also have a worn out index lever and anti-backlash pawl.

It can be fixed if you find a tech with a stash of original parts.

I wish I had better news, but that's what you face. Good luck.

Kitten219

Tue 26 Aug, 2008 01:31 pm
@H2O MAN,
Thanks H20 man. I do still know ONE person that I worked with that went over to RainSoft H.Q.'s as a tech but they GPS their vehicles so I'd be putting him at risk to ask him to help me out.

I'm curious though, why was it filling and rinsing just last week? It wasn't brining and soaking the tank and now everything is just the opposite. I guess maybe just a coincidence.

Maybe I can hook up with the former owner of the dealership for Illinois. We remained very close friends (9 year friendship) until just recently but he might have some pull. I just hate to bother him for anything... he's got a lot on his plate.

BTW, I DO have in writing that the valve has a lifetime warranty and it is written right on the paperwork as such with no provision for "limited". Just plain "lifetime".

Well, I'll let you know how it goes. I really don't want to buy a regular water softener as I just don't like them... I like the RainSofts. Besides, my plumbing is already "criss-crossed" to accommodate the backward way that RainSofts are installed AND I want to use Potassium Chloride, not Salt and most won't work well with it.

OH WELL!!!! Whaddayagonnado?

T.K.

Thank you for replying though.
0 Replies