Savory waffles anyone?

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:21 pm
I've come across several restaurant reviews lateley where they mention savory waffles (or pancakes) that are served along some of the entrees.

I would love to make something like this at home to serve along with soup or stew or......? I'm thinking something kind of chewy/cornbready would be great.

Has anyone tried these savory waffles?

What were they served with?

Do you have a recipe?

Thanks!

Green Witch

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:32 pm
@boomerang,
Just the word "waffle" conjures up a vision of a sticky pan and me cursing at the broken pieces. I donated my waffle press to Goodwill years ago. Pancakes would be easy to make into something savory by adding herbs and/or cheese to any basic batter recipe. You could also experiment with crepes if you just want something a little more exciting than biscuits or dinner scones. You might also want to experiment using herb butters.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:21 pm
@boomerang,
I've posted about savoury waffles here (and at Abuzz) over the years.
I'll try and track down some of the posts.

Waffles are definitely one of my 'things'.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:45 pm
@boomerang,
I've been looking back at your original post. There isn't really a "these" savory waffles. Everyone likes slightly different combos.

Do you make breakfast/dessert waffles? You don't really change the recipe that much - really just add herbs/spices - shredded/grated cheese if you're very good with your waffle iron.

I don't think cornbread would work well, as waffles are meant to be very light.

One of the most 'famous' savory waffle presentations is the chicken and waffles combo that you find in a number of 'southern' cookbooks.

~~~~

If you want something chewy/cornbready to go with soup/stew, I'd suggest going with cornbread sticks and or cornbread muffins (with a variety of diced up peppers in there with the corn)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:58 pm
I'm a waffle virgin. I have never made waffles at all. I don't really like sweet things so I've never really considered waffles until I started seeing savory waffles show up.

I hadn't thought about them being "light"..... I was hoping for something heftier. Something that would absorb broth without getting too soggy.

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:07 pm
@boomerang,
mmmm yeah, waffles are not hefty - they're more on the lightly crispy on outside, fluffyish on the inside end of the baked goods spectrum - think of yeast donut vs cake donut

a basic waffle should not taste sweet - it should be quite neutral, as people tend to put things on top that provide the sweet/savoury to the fork

a good basic waffle is much like a simple crepe - neither sweet nor savoury, but can be eaten in combination with sweet or savoury
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:11 pm
@boomerang,
here is a cornmeal waffle from Epicurious (it's a link from one of my favourite muffin bloggers)

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CRISPY-CORNMEAL-BACON-WAFFLES-109154

I don't know if this will take you to the right spot in the blog, but on 11.11.2006 he posted a very cool blue cornmeal muffin that might better suit your purposes

http://www.magma.ca/~efung/blog/labels/muffins.html
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:13 pm
@boomerang,
Coincidence, I just tagged a thread of mine called Breakfast for Dinner, and I think there are some savory waffles there, or at least a good link. Back in a minute.
JustBrooke

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Great link!!

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Here it is,

Breakfast for Dinner
http://able2know.org/topic/85232-1

and here's a link to savory waffle recipes ..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/24/AR2006102400251.html

(see later in the thread for things like spinach pancakes..)

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:54 pm
Ohhhhh goody! Thanks for all the links. I'll start recipe shopping.

Now. What kind of waffle iron should I buy? Or, what should I look for in a good waffle iron?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 09:09 pm
@boomerang,
Can't remember where I bought my waffle iron and I can't find it (in a box in the garage) to tell you the company. It's a belgian waffle iron with, I think, some kind of coating, probably teflon, so clean up upon screw up isn't an all day adventure. (My parents had a round old fashioned thing that brooked no misbehavior.) Anyway, I'm sure mine was not some expensive culinary store item.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 09:59 pm
@boomerang,
What would be an example of a "savory" waffle?

Is there some cooking definition of "savory" of which I am unaware?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:38 pm
@DrewDad,
I haven't looked up the definition - I'll see later if my guess is right. I think of it as based on, yes, the word savory, the name of an herb, a nice one to grow. So, maybe allied to herbal, and usually not very sweet, if sweet at all. I think of lightly rolled biscuits made with ice cold butter - to separate the biscuit into multi layers - and herbs - as savories....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 04:43 am
Not waffels I know but we have cheese twists here with soup and stews/casserole.
Cut puff pastry into strips about as wide as a finger (wider if you like). twist two strips together. sprinkle with cheese and a little cayenne pepper/paprika chilli powder
http://static.flickr.com/46/116155476_90e7d0e926_o.jpg

http://www.delicedefrance.co.uk/dynamic/img/Savoury%20Twists.jpg
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 06:35 am
I was doing fine, until Dadpad posted pictures.
Eyes closed, bacon and waffles floating in maple syrup.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:33 am
@boomerang,
I was thinking of going on a diet.

Later.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:37 am
Ummmm those cheese sticks look good!

I use "savory" to mean something herby or spicy, not sweet.

I was thinking you might be able to use a waffle iron to make something more like bread than like pastry.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 11:18 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Is there some cooking definition of "savory" of which I am unaware?

"Salty, not sweet" is the definition you are missing. So was I till I looked it up.

I'd been wondering who wouldn't want a their waffles tasty.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 04:24 pm
Ever make those waffles? Although most waffles don't have much sugar in them, to make dinner waffles, you have to take it out.
0 Replies