Is China about to spank their little monster?

Brand X

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:55 am
China puts army on Korea border

By Rupert Wingfield-Hayes
BBC correspondent in Beijing

The Chinese Government says it has transferred control of its border with North Korea from the police to the People's Liberation Army.
But it is refusing to confirm media reports that it has also sent 150,000 combat troops to the border area in recent weeks.

A number of Hong Kong newspapers have reported that the extra troops were being deployed to seal off the border, and put pressure on the North Korean Government to end its nuclear weapons programme.

According to China's foreign ministry, the change in border command is nothing out of the ordinary, and has in fact been planned for years.

But the timing seems more than a coincidence.

In recent months, China has become much more explicit in demanding that North Korea must end its nuclear weapons programme, and Beijing is growing increasingly frustrated by Pyongyang's intransigence.

Talks hosted by China last month to try and break the deadlock over Pyongyang's weapons programme got nowhere.

Few now doubt that China is actively preparing for every eventuality, including that of a possible North Korean collapse.

So China's little Frankenstein monster is becoming too much trouble even for China to handle. Question

Well, with all that nuclear missile propulsion technology Clinton shipped the Chinese, they should be in a strong position! Razz
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 802 • Replies: 11
No top replies

perception

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 12:08 pm
BrandX

This poses a very interesting situation----What was the real motive if you don't buy this and I don't:

"According to China's foreign ministry, the change in border command is nothing out of the ordinary, and has in fact been planned for years."

If China cuts off all aid to NK they will indeed collapse and that would cause a very serious refugee problem for China.

I doubt if Kim Jong IL is prepared for the Chinese brand of "Hardball"
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 12:34 pm
More than likely an economic move since China is bought and paid for by America, they no they need to shut that nut up. Ever seen the words, "Made In China"?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 12:52 pm
BrandX wrote:

"More than likely an economic move since China is bought and paid for by America".

Got to disagree with that statement----since when have we had any real influence with China?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 12:56 pm
Who knows, it's a funky country, but I'm sticking to my opinion for now. It is early yet. Question
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 01:17 pm
Maybe China needs to remind Kim that he is a small player in a big game.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 01:29 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Maybe China needs to remind Kim that he is a small player in a big game.

I agree with that, McG.

But maybe someone needs to remind you and me that although Kim is a small player in a big game, he (figuarively) carries a very, very big stick.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 01:39 pm
Sheesh, for once I actually agree with McG as well...good on 'em, and I love that General George W. chicken too. Well, seeing as the U.S. is too busy, I say let China deal with Kim.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 02:16 pm
In a fanciful speculation I thought that if China were to "pre-emptively" invade and occupy DPRK using as a casus belli the WMDs the US response would almost be comical as they struggle to find the words to condemn it witout drawing too much attention to the "we can but you can't" hypocrasy.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 02:19 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
In a fanciful speculation I thought that if China were to "pre-emptively" invade and occupy DPRK using as a casus belli the WMDs the US response would almost be comical as they struggle to find the words to condemn it witout drawing too much attention to the "we can but you can't" hypocrasy.

Only if they went through the UN and had France veto there UN resolution first. Razz
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 02:26 pm
Why should they? The UN is a "dangerous distraction" and "irrelevant" and China "can't let the UN be a way of avoiding the problem" etc etc.

You'd be surprised how well other countries throw US words back in our faces.

In the post 9/11 period Bush used lots of rhetoric that became a weapon against him.

Israel and India both used words that were almost identical to his when he was trying to pressure them (Israel to stop destroying PA infrastructure and India for threatening war with Pakistan).

It made both situatons much harder for him to deal with.

One Israeli politician said something like: "look, I will be cruelly blunt. We are killing less innocent civilians than Americans are killing innocent Afghanis. So America should keep themselves out of our business".
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 02:48 pm
Any reason to suppose China would even consult with the UN? They might very well decide this is a purely internal matter, based on the Golden Horde's successful invasion Korea in 14whatever.
0 Replies