The curse of long life

Chumly

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 04:30 pm
Would you consider it the equivalent of a curse to live considerably longer than your loved ones and friends and/or simply considerably longer than present spans thus the implications of your actions may come back to haunt you and/or you might simply become life-weary in a way we now may not truly understand.

I assert we are on the cusp of a major bio-tech revolution which will likely culminate (at least in part) in life extension, of which not all will want to participate in due to religious/moral biases (if not other reasons).

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 05:08 pm
@Chumly,
has already happened....my grandfather lived to be 94, his wife and all of his friends had died off yet his body kept on ticking. He had some fun in his last half dozen years, improving his cooking skills mostly, but in the end he was more than ready to go. The last couple of weeks his body was giving out but his mind was still sharp, he was in a nursing home and some of us would talk optimistically to him about him going home......it just pissed him off.
Chumly

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 05:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
A sobering example.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 05:17 pm
There's been longevity in our family except my father died when I was two years old, because he got an infection that was not treated. Our mother died relatively young in her early seventies.

My general health has been pretty good until last year when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and went through eight weeks of radiation treatment. I'm now 73 years old, and except for the after-effects of the cancer treatment, I've done relatively well, but my quality of life is no longer the same.

I've been pretty lucky during my life, so I'll be ready when the time comes. I just don't wish to become a burden to my family or friends.

eoe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 05:18 pm
My aunt is 96. She's buried her husband, two brothers and two of her five sons. She keeps on ticking as sharp as a tack but burying her boys broke her heart. I can't imagine it.
Chumly

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 05:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
And if next year it was confirmed you could live another 50 years, would you accept the treatment and (arguably saddening) consequences?
Chumly

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 05:24 pm
@eoe,
Yes the question going forward (at least in part) may well be can we tolerate this types of loss ongoing over greater and greater time frames.

At this point it seems difficult to break down the two major components:

a) age-weariness
b) loss-weariness
2PacksAday

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 05:49 pm
@Chumly,
I'll just quote Freddy Mercury....."Who wants to live forever"
Chumly

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:01 pm
@2PacksAday,
I do, because I want to see the future, and past hurts are a function of an indiscreet memory.
hamburger

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:11 pm
@Chumly,
did you read this in today's paper ?

Quote:
August 19, 2008 - 3:53pm

By PEGGY HARRIS
Associated Press Writer

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - Maudie White Hopkins, who grew up during the Depression in the hardscrabble Ozarks and married a Confederate army veteran 67 years her senior, has died. She was 93.

Hopkins, the mother of three children from a second marriage who loved to make fried peach pies and applesauce cakes, died Sunday at a hospital in Helena-West Helena, said Rodger Hooker of the Roller-Citizens Funeral Home.

Other Confederate widows are still living, but they don't want any publicity, Martha Boltz of the United Daughters of the Confederacy said Tuesday.

Hopkins grew up in a family of 10 children, did laundry and cleaned house for William M. Cantrell, an elderly Confederate veteran in Baxter County whose wife had died years earlier.

When he offered to leave his land and home to her if she would marry him and care for him in his later years, she said yes. She was 19; he was 86.

"After Mr. Cantrell died I took a little old mule he had and plowed me a vegetable garden and had plenty of vegetables to eat. It was hard times; you had to work to eat," she said in an Associated Press interview in 2004.

Hopkins later married Winfred White and started a family. In all, she was married four times.

For decades, she didn't speak about her marriage to Cantrell, concerned that people would think less of her. Four years ago, she came around after a Confederate widow in Alabama died amid claims that she was the last widow from that war.

"I didn't do anything wrong," Hopkins told the AP in 2004. "I've worked hard my whole life and did what I had to, what I could, to survive. I didn't want to talk about it for a while because I didn't want people to gossip about it. I didn't want people to make it out to be worse than it was."

Military records show Cantrell served in Company A, French's Battalion, of the Virginia Infantry. He enlisted in the Confederate army at age 16 in Pikeville, Ky., and was captured the same year and sent to a prison camp in Ohio. He was exchanged for a Northern prisoner, and after the war moved to Arkansas to live with relatives.

In the interview, Hopkins referred to her first husband as "Mr. Cantrell" and described him as "a good, clean, respectable man." She recalled one description he gave of life as a Civil War soldier, how lice infested his sock supports and "ate a trail around his legs."

Baxter County records show they were married in January 1934 by a justice of the peace. She said Cantrell supported her with his Confederate pension of "$25 every two or three months" and left her his home when he died in 1937.

The pension benefits ended at Cantrell's death, according to records filed with the state Pension Board.

She is survived by two daughters and a son.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:27 pm
@Chumly,
Who knows what I would do if given the choice, but I don't even want to consider another 50 years. My brain and my body tells me I'm in the "fall" of my life. Do I have regrets? Sure, but who doesn't. Gotta look at the big picture at this stage of my life; it's been pretty decent.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:37 pm
@hamburger,
No I did not read it, an interesting life perhaps.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:57 pm
I'd take more years as long as I knew my mind would be around to keep me company. But I wouldn't do anything extraordinary to extend it. (Hell, I rarely take pain relievers, and my body's half-broken at 33.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 07:45 pm
I say, let the life weary go, if they so desire. As f0r myself, I choose being for as long as possible.
I believe many close to death accept the inevitable willingly, because they are weary, and it is all that they can do anyhow. I hope I go down fighting against it, but one never knows, after all.
patiodog

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
One of the most fiery (and dangerous) people I've known absolutely laid down when death was coming. Seeing G go was a real eye opener.

Of course, people who work with sick animals know that when the mean ones stop being mean, death is peeking around the corner. I don't know if this goes for people generally, but that was how G went.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 05:10 am
@eoe,
I didn't believe it before, but I believe now because I've seen it:

Some people do really die of a broken heart.

Someone dear to me was fiery, sharp, and still in relatively good health right to her late 80's.

But it was when her brother, my stepdad, passed away that she started to lose her twinkle in her eye and she got sick that year. Passed away very suddenly not long after.

It was my stepdad that had said "So and so died of a broken heart" and I would laugh. But he was right. It is possible.

I want to live as long as I can so long as my heart, mind, and body will cooperate with me. If I'm ever so heartbroken that my will to live goes, I've decided I'm not going to fight it.

Some people do decide when it is time for them to go. And I do believe we have that power to make it happen, or to extend ourselves longer if we want.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 05:47 am
@mushypancakes,
Yes, I have known people that basically gave up and died, who should have lived longer otherwise. Just as some who might otherwise have died were too strong willed to let it happen.
mushypancakes

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 05:50 am
@edgarblythe,
For sure.

My gramps was so sick with cancer. But he wanted to see his grandson be born.

No coincidence to me that he passed away almost a week after holding him.

People are amazing!
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:13 am
@mushypancakes,
My ex mother in law's mother would have easily seen a hundred years, but the relatives got greedy for her property and stuck her in a nursing home. She was aware they looted her house. She also knew they were lying when they told her they would bring her home on her birthday. She died on the birthday. Prior to these events, she was healthy enough and not bedridden or in a wheelchair.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:30 am
@Chumly,
What is this biotech revolution you are referring to that we are on the verge of?
0 Replies